StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a ~3400 mile 1 week trip of riding and camping. As always the bike performed flawlessly. However, I do have 2 questions.

1. how gently do you ride off pavement? I road the Magruder Corridor, which is an awesome experience. It is very remote, 110 miles between service so a bad place to breakdown. It has some fairly rocky sections that felt awful but the bike did not complain at all. I never came across something I could not ride over but could not stop worry that something was gong to break.

2. on the last day I road the length of South Dakota at 90 MPH. There was some wind and my MPG dropped down to 26. Clearly the bike was working very hard. It did not seem to consume any oil and feels fine. Is this too much abuse?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hell no! The Strom is a tough pig!

If your playing rough just make sure to stay on top of your services and to keep an eye out for bolts falling out and bits coming loose. It seems after every rocky (ie bumpy) ride I do I find some bolt loose or about to fall out.

The 90 mph thing is probably a little tough on the motor, but every now and then I wouldn't stress it. Again stay on top of your services and change your oil often and you'll be a happy rider for a long time :thumbup:

Sounds like an awesome trip by the way, lets see some pictures!

·
Registered
615 Posts
The Magruder is a nice ride. Did it once on quads with the boy. I need to get back!

I've taken the V2 on much worse and it doesn't complain (well, except the bash plate).

tucsonray says it: watch for loose things and keep up on maintenance.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The Vstrom can take a lot more abuse than 99% of people can throw at it. Riding 90 MPH for an afternoon, day or month...... yawn!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I would say the weakest part of a Strom is the wheels so if they survive the bike will survive.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Babbitt, that's a great looking ride, congrats from a fellow Twin Citian (from your big route map). I could maybe see doing a similar trip, but for me, "camping" = "Motel 6".

I lived in the Idaho panhandle (Moscow, ID) for 5 years, seeing those photos brings me back. Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Living in Missoula, Montana I get to ride Lolo Pass a lot, a most excellent road to play on! The Magruder Corridor is a great ride also, and highly recommended for those who like to rid dirt. Not hard, but remote and beautiful. There are more roads here yet to explore that are very awesome!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Any bolt you take out re-attach with blue threadlocker. That will go a long way to avoiding problems down the road. If you do a lot of single and remote riding, consider taking an emergency beacon type device with you so you can call for help. Most likely its a slashed tire, or something like that, that may get you stranded.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try threadlocker as I do maintenance.

I am also going to carry a spot tracker. I truly prefer remote camping but it does make my family nervous. Over the 7 days I only ate 2 meals in restaurants.

I did worry about the wheels even keeping the tires fully inflated. I figured that the risk of a bent rim was greater than the loss of traction.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like a cool trip! Nice pics. That’s when’s its nice to have a riding buddy when it gets real remote.
Reliable tough bikes, sounds like you have it sorted out. Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Check the 2 bolts on the steering head that support the fairing.

On the Wee they work loose, this can take years but it will happen if it is not looked at, remove one at a time, add thread locker & nip them up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts