StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of us ride more and some less. Usually the ones who commute put more.

Was saddling up yesterday coming from work and talked to GSXS rider. Turned out his round trip is 146mi and he doesn't ride on weekends. Mine is 100mi so I've been steadily clocking about 2,000mi a month on Wee2

OK V-Tom had 400k on bike but that took a better part of the decade. I think he averaged ab 90mi a day. There is also that guy on 2014 S10 with 146,000.

20-30k a year is easy to understand. OK 36 if you have longer commute or do LD in addition. But how do you get 146k on 2yo bike?

Comments welcome. (Hope this didn't come across as bigger is tougher and better. Not intended as size comparison).

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
I don't commute, so I average about 10K miles a year.

...wait, but in my defense:))) I do a 5K+ trip each Sept................

·
Registered
947 Posts
Same, about 10K, here. Mainly day trips and "it's a nice day for a ride" decisions. I am retired so can go anytime, but I also sail a lot, which cuts down the bike time. Tough isn't it?:grin2:

Coops.

·
Registered
975 Posts
for 19 years i've been averaging 11,300/yr or so, givertake, pluserminus, that or thereabouts. clement year-round weather is likely my most accommodating advantage. i don't go long (or overnight) - 375 miler is a daily best for me, years ago: out to the desert, through joshua tree natl park, down the west coast of salton sea. just a bunch of rides, mainly in san diego county.
being retired eight years has not really changed the annual average.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have three bikes that are ridden every week for about 12K-14K miles a year total...I'm retired and usually just do morning rides that are between 70-100 miles per ride three to four times a week, sometimes more.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I work from home and don't get to ride nearly as much as I would like to because I have a life... I mean wife ;-)

I only get in around 3000-4000 miles per year unless I plan a big trip, which is only every 3 years or so. Planning to retire next year so that will involve MUCH more exploration!

Reactions: Rides2Work

·
Administrator
17,527 Posts
for 19 years i've been averaging 11,300/yr or so, givertake, pluserminus, that or thereabouts. clement year-round weather is likely my most accommodating advantage. i don't go long (or overnight) - 375 miler is a daily best for me, years ago: out to the desert, through joshua tree natl park, down the west coast of salton sea. just a bunch of rides, mainly in san diego county.
being retired eight years has not really changed the annual average.
You need to venture further from home and explore that beautiful state you live in a bit more. ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Big B is right, but also you're so close to some great riding just a state or two away. Take a week (or more preferably) and go explore some of the western US states see a national park or something. You're retired, we shouldn't have to twist your arm.

·
Administrator
13,817 Posts
It wasn't me that has 400,000 k (miles) on the strom... It is user Wera688(?) whose real name is Kith. I'm a piker compared to him but lately I have been doing about 30,000 miles/50,000 km per year. Lots of committing... But also lots of Sunday rides and longish trips.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
No commuting, I work at home, average about 14K miles a year between my 2 bikes. Errands and small rides during the week, day rides (200 to 400 miles) on the weekends, and a few overnighters. Still got to do my epic western US trip!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It wasn't me that has 400,000 k (miles) on the strom... It is user Wera688(?) whose real name is Kith. I'm a piker compared to him but lately I have been doing about 30,000 miles/50,000 km per year. Lots of committing... But also lots of Sunday rides and longish trips.

..Tom
Thanks for the cleaning up!

How do you manage 30k in Canada? It gets cold.. or you commute in winter too?

I haven't ridden for 5 years due to health and now my cold tolerance is way down. 47F? this is cold. Below 65F? I need winter gloves and grips on.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I look to be on track for a 30 or 40,000 mile year, if the winter isn't too bad and the old body behaves itself.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
I don't commute at all, don't take a lot of short rides ( who wants to in Houston! ). Usually put 12-15,000 a year on both bikes. 3-4,000+ mile trips with a few high mile days are common.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wasn't me that has 400,000 k (miles) on the strom... It is user Wera688(?) whose real name is Kith.
Yeah I run a search and he (Kith Burkingstock) is in GA, home of all-year-around riding. Member of IBA since '05.

Funny that I have looked into IBR and did SS1000 back around the same time. 1070mi coming from the trip on loaded bike with 11yo in the back seat..

For me coming from randonneuring it was like "this is nice.. count me out". Just doesn't cut it comparing to 250-300mi day in bicycle saddle it was like a watching a black and white video of real thing via tiny YouTube peephole.

Anything over 700-900mi on a slab or generally over 12-14hr count me out. I like my sleep, I love traveling and seeing things, so need to have good night rest to be able to do it next day.

·
Administrator
13,817 Posts

I haven't ridden for 5 years due to health and now my cold tolerance is way down. 47F? this is cold. Below 65F? I need winter gloves and grips on.
My cold tolerance has also dropped, especially my feet, as I have aged. I start wearing my heated jacket and gloves around 55 to 50°f. Heated Jacket and gloves under a soft shell all under my Roadcrafter keeps me warm and comfy down to freezing. (It was at freezing point with frost around when I left home this morning.) When it drops below freezing I add fleece pants over my work pants. My commute is about 50 miles/80 km and I usually take an hour.

I will ride my bike pretty much any time that the roads are clear of ice and snow and that it is unlikely to become covered with ice and/or snow. Lake effect snow is an issue here. I did get caught once in a situation once. On a nice clear December day with temperatures in the mid-20's °f a Lake-Effect Streamer came across my ride home. The highway turned to ice as the snow hit the road, which was warmed a bit by the sun, melted and then froze. Cars were spinning out on the highway. Long story short I dropped my bike four times on backroads working my way home. I'm much more careful now.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

Haven't ridden for five years?

·
Registered
975 Posts
LOL, forgot to mention that i'm a fair-weather rider: under 60F? i think about it before venturing forth. i hate to bundle up. yeah, i prefer a path of little resistance.

slab or backroads - doesn't make a diff to me. not rare for me to ride a couple hundred on the freeway, early on holiday mornings before others are up, say.

up on two is primary; location is secondary.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haven't ridden for five years?
Yes 5 years, tons of meds, 6 surgeries last this March. I think I took bike out a few times but that doesn't count as riding. Restarted riding in May after car got totaled in rear-end hit, put about 10-11k from then, 6.5 of them on Wee which I got on July 30. Longest day from then? 570mi in 11.5hr, still long cry from what used to.

·
Registered
462 Posts
LOL, forgot to mention that i'm a fair-weather rider: under 60F? i think about it before venturing forth. i hate to bundle up. yeah, i prefer a path of little resistance.
You ought to know this better than I, but you live in San Diego California. There isn't anything but fair weather.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts