StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to get a picture, my phone would not focus properly in the shop.

I had a low speed tumble last year and was taking the forks off to re-spring them when I noticed one is bent. it's not much, with a carpenter's squaer on the side there isn't much more than 1-1.5mm space measured fromm end to end of the exposed portion of the tube (I still have the lowers on.

It bent right where the lower tree clamps and there is a line/depression from the clamp you can feel right where the bend starts. Its not a full kink like you get from bending a metal tube, but it is a very shallow valley right at the line. Very shallow.

So, kink?

Anyone have a spare left fork tube they can sell me? I finally blew my saved money on suspension upgrades and run into something a lot more expensive than the seals etc I budgeted for.

Any info is great, I read threads here but couldn't find anything exactly like my situation, sorry if it's one of "those" reposts.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
A good frame shop can help you. I've had bent forks before and the guys told me they rather have a noticeably bent tube rather than something that's hard to chase.
Some independents like David Moore, 760 240-4590 may be of some help.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I can be cheap at times.

But in this case I would not hesitate to replace that fork tube! No matter how long it took to find a good one at a price I could pay.

That fork tube will not be nearly as strong as one that has not been kinked. And if you can feel a place in the tube, it is kinked.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can be cheap at times.

But in this case I would not hesitate to replace that fork tube! No matter how long it took to find a good one at a price I could pay.

That fork tube will not be nearly as strong as one that has not been kinked. And if you can feel a place in the tube, it is kinked.
I came to the same conclusion last night as I laid in bed thinking about my bike instead of sleeping. :headbang:

This "spring upgrade" is now climbing up close to what I paid for the bike... :jawdrop:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts