StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....since changing out the 15 tooth front sprocket to a 16 tooth, I've come to the conclusion that the speedo being right on is not worth loosing an average of 10mpg.:thumbdown: I thought after the first tank I may have been flogging it too much to see if I could tell the difference in performance, which I did not. I do like the new rpm location at cruising speed, but not for 10 miles per gallon........ I know some here had said here was really no difference if mileage, even some that said mileage was better..:confused:...I find that hard to believe. Suppose it's back to the 15..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granted, I'm not the smallest guy either at 5'10"/220lbs, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't help any.....

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,298 Posts
I have documented proof that the 16 tooth front sprocket didn't change my mileage more than at most .5 mpg. Even that is arbitrary. No way you are actually losing 10 mpg, there are other factors at play. There is a 1-2 mpg loss in calculated mileage if you are going by the odometer as it reads approximately 2.6% low with a 16 tooth front sprocket. I checked mine with the GPS to verify mileages over many tankfuls.

I don't know what to tell you to look for, that is a LARGE difference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have documented proof that the 16 tooth front sprocket didn't change my mileage more than at most .5 mpg. Even that is arbitrary. No way you are actually losing 10 mpg, there are other factors at play. There is a 1-2 mpg loss in calculated mileage if you are going by the odometer as it reads approximately 2.6% low with a 16 tooth front sprocket. I checked mine with the GPS to verify mileages over many tankfuls.

I don't know what to tell you to look for, that is a LARGE difference.
My exact findings.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I'm also running a 16T on my '13, and according to my fuelly app, I'm averaging 51.4 to date. Before the 16T, while the bike was still primarily stock, I was seeing 55-56mpg regularly. If the odometer error with the 16T accounts for 1-2mpg, I'm still 2-3mpg less than I was seeing before. I'm not terribly geeked up about this though, since I'm still happy to be seeing over 50mpg on every tank. I haven't been using a GPS for mileage, but might run a couple tanks with one to see actual mileage. Other factors I've introduced are a Givi AirFlow, tail box, and occasionally some hard cases (Pelican knock-offs).

All this said, if there's a 10mpg drop, I find it hard believe it's solely because of the 16T.

·
5,298 Posts
Other factors I've introduced are a Givi AirFlow, tail box, and occasionally some hard cases (Pelican knock-offs).
I suspect the Givi AirFlow is a big factor in your mileage if it was put on after your 16t as I think you wrote above. I think these windscreens ( I have one ) are very "UNaerodynamic". I would be interesting to see what it would change if you could stand to take it off for a tankful.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I too have a new Airflow......I'll have to make that experiment before I change the gear back to stock. But I'm telling you, I was averaging 47-49mpg (don't know how you guys are getting 50+ consistently, you know the throttle is on the right side correct??) before the gear change. Since then its been under 40mpg, 38 being the best I've recorded. My maiden voyage this spring was with the new Airflow and stock 15 tooth, I saw no difference in mileage. I'll run a tank or two without the top shield and see if that makes a difference. The under shield seems more aerodynamic than the stocker so we'll see......

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Once again, I'll bet you aren't taking into account the change in gearing effect on the odometer. After the gearing change, the odometer is reading between 7% and 8% lower than it was before. You are going more miles between fuel stops than the odometer says you are.

·
5,298 Posts
I mentioned above that I have measured the odometer as reading 2.6% lower than actual miles traveled with the 16t countershaft sprocket. That is not taking into account how much the 15t countershaft sprocket allowed to the odometer to read more miles traveled than actual. So 7%-8% seems very likely when comparing "15t to 16t mileage".

·
Registered
639 Posts
I went with the 16T on my 2010. I like the decrease in rpm at highway speed, coming from machines that run at 3500rpm @80mph, I felt 6k+ was a little revvy. I just did a mileage check again today and I'm averaging 13 miles per litre, and I'm running a tall Calsci screen, so I'd think it's a little better when I switch back to the short sporty screen. If you drop 10mpg then it's more than just the 1+ tooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts