StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm kinda new to the site but I wanted to run something by everyone to see if they agree or if I'm way out in left field.
Anyways, I went for a nice 100 or so mile ride today on the V-Strom as it was such a nice day. I did mostly two lane roads and there was quite a few bikes out. I'm a huge bike fan and will "wave" to anyone on a bike, but I noticed roughly 75% of the time on the Strom I never have it returned.
I commute with this bike a lot and first thought it was just coincidence or that I was on larger roads where people had other things on their minds, but after today I'm convinced it's the bike.
I probably wouldn't have noticed so much but I have two other sportbikes I have been riding for a little over 3 years in the same area and this never happens on either one of them.
I love my V tremendously but I guess it's not quite as popular in the bike world, haha. Oh well, it makes me happy and that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
There are quite a few threads about waving. It seems to mainly be something that older riders do.
Generally I find HD and BMW riders tend to ignore waves and crouch rocket riders if they response tend to do so with a nod rather than a wave so I have started nodding at them as well and that seems to increase the frequency of responses.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not here...I passed (and waved to) about 20-25 bikes today, and I think 3 or 4 didn't wave. Two of them were on crotch rockets, and they nodded instead.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, nearly everyone out in these parts wave. I get it all the time from sportbikes and cruisers.

Only person I haven't had a wave returned from was a guy on a sparkly-new jap faux harley doing 45 in a 55 with his eyes as big as saucers trying to keep it on the road. Man that guy spent a lot of money on his pirate getup and clearly didn't have a lot of cockpit time. I laughed out loud in my helmet when I saw the :yikes: "oh shit!" look on his face when I waved at him. Poor guy was too afraid to do anything but look at me as I passed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In WV you will get some form of arm gesture from just about everybody.....except H-D riders.

I noticed in Arkansas, EVERYONE waved.....to include riders, those in cages, pedestrians, folks mowing the yard, even cops. It was wild!

·
Registered
197 Posts
For the most part everyone waves in so cal. Even on the freeway! Sometimes the HD and BMW riders don't though. I almost don't wave to the HD s because they don't appreciate everyone on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Oh brother, not another waving thread . :thumbdown:

No one is targeting you for rudeness because you're on a V-Strom. However, if you really believe your observations, let me add a data point. I rode all day yesterday and for several hours today. I passed hundreds of bikes (especially Saturday, there were easily 500-1000 bikes at the Moonshine run). I'd say roughly 90% of the bikes I waived to waved back. Cruisers, sportbikes, tourers, etc...all of the waved equally.

As I also ride a V-Strom, the only logical conclusion for my being waved at your not being waived at is that people just don't like you. It has nothing to do with the V-Strom or I would have been snubbed as well. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my experience, it's a cruiser thing. When I was riding a Kaw Vulcan, I got waves from everyone on a cruiser, HD or not. Only a few sport bike riders didn't wave.
Switched to a Honda ST1100 and wave count dropped to about 30% tops.
Just switched to a Vee, and although I haven't seen many bikes out since I got it, which is only two weeks, I suspect wave count will remain low.
Even when on a cruiser, I think if HD riders could tell it was a metric they wouldn't wave. I mostly just do the head nod thing now.

Greg

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I'm a huge bike fan and will "wave" to anyone on a bike, but I noticed roughly 75% of the time on the Strom I never have it returned.
Seem odds. I ride around Northern Virginia all the time and find that most everyone waves, even the Harleys.

Waving is overrated, I could care less.
Amen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would say that here in south Texas, most people on two wheels wave, even the harley riders most of the time. Personally, I like the wave (nod, whatever). Gives a sense of connection to the other two-wheeled brethren out there. Still makes me smile every time and I have been riding a while.

Peace.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So, I have a Harley (883) and a Strom. Odd, I know.

Anyway, when I was naive and into the pirate deal, I got waves from nearly everyone. Sportbike dudes and STs (don't see much else around here) were usually pretty surprised to see me wave so I would get a late wave or nod, but acknowledged most of the time.

Then I started wearing gear. AlpineStars jacket, Full face hat, and gloves. The wave count from the HDs went down noticeably. The shocked look from the metric guys also went down and I got a lot more relaxed waves from that crowd.

Once I jumped on the Strom (now ATGATT) the wave count went way down from everyone. Granted I am in the midwest and Stroms are pretty rare relative to other bikes so it could be the metric guys are trying to figure out what I am riding and the HD guys just have no respect.

IMO: With the cruiser crowd, I think it has just as much to do with gear as it does the bike you ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seem odds. I ride around Northern Virginia all the time and find that most everyone waves, even the Harleys.

Amen.
I understand the replies, but it isn't like I was going out of my way to stand up and wave across 6 lanes of Rt. 28 and then upset when I didn't get the same in return. I spent a good bit of time today on smaller two lane backroads where I was meeting other bikes at 35 mph or so and I only had one other rider who nodded or waved at all.
I had one of my sportbikes out last weekend and it seems people go out of their way to wave, nod, or acknowledge somehow and it doesn't happen with the Strom. That's all I was bringing up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts