StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
didn't know my v-strom has such warning, came up during today's ride at 3 degree Celsius.
Does it automatically activate traction control also? would be cool :smile2:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nope just lets you know it around the freezing point.
Right. Be on the lookout for icy conditions. It's up to you to determine how much care you take. If the ground is frozen, be in the lookout for refreeze even if the air temp is above freezing. Be on the lookout for frozen dew in the road if it's early in the day, particularly in lower spots where fog/mist collects. Just be aware that things can change rapidly, depending on conditions and time of day.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ah yes. The mention of snow and ice.

Brings back a lot of memories. Was one thing I don't miss after leaving Denver a long time ago.

Yeah, the traction control should be on at all times when you are moving.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
22,260 Posts
never know

last weekend wend out for a ride on my K-Pipe, temps about 55°, nowhere near freezing you say. yup, the gravel roads had thawed, now with a surface of slimy goop.

Thankfully, the underpowered K-Pipe is it's own traction control, enough low end torque to now sputter in top gear @ 22mph, and not enough HP to spin the rear wheel. And not enough engine braking to make a difference either

K-Pipe is not really a cold weather bike, not enough juice to power electrics, no weather protection,

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I have read some guys here believe their temperature gauge is out of whack by a fair bit.

If that is the case how will that affect the snow warning ???

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have read some guys here believe their temperature gauge is out of whack by a fair bit.

If that is the case how will that affect the snow warning ???
It doesn't affect the snow warning at all. As said above, the snow warning appears when the bike's sensor indicates that it is near freezing (I forget what the manual says regarding how many degrees above 32 F). If the sensor's calibration is off, it will still signal the Ice Warning when the software thinks the temperature is low enough.

For the sake of argument, lets say that the ice warning is programmed to appear when the temp is 37 deg F (32 F + 5 degrees) and your friend's bike is dead on accurate. If your bike indicates the air temp is 10 degrees higher than the actual temperature due to miscalibration, then when the ambient temp is 37 and your buddy's bike shows the Ice Warning, your bike will show the temp to be 47 deg F, and therefore no warning. When it is cold enough that your buddy's bike reads 27 deg F, your bike will show 37, and you will see "Ice Alert". The warning appears in response to the sensor indicating the temp is 5 deg above freezing, it does not care what the real temperature is, only the indicated.

·
Super Moderator
13,058 Posts
The warning light comes in when your bike displays 3 degrees c (whatever f but I suspect 37f).

My 3 degrees c is actually closer to 1 degree c so it fact it comes on almost at freezing.

..Tom

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
in my case warning was pretty accurate at 3 degrees c, same temperature was in forecast and at home window thermometer.

Anyway very good idea on a motorcycle to have that although in winter I am always cautious especially if there was minus at night.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Ratchet that was my point.

Reading here some think their bike is being ambitious and read higher than the actual temp, if that is the case the snow warning could be late.

I have done some tests and believe my bike is close enough to the real temperature to be reliable.

·
Registered
22,260 Posts
BTW tarmac temperature is usually higher then air anyway so this gives some safety margin.

um, no, go for a February ride here in northern new england on that unseasonably warm 60° day, the pavement is still frozen solid well below freezing, watch out for black ice from the snowbanks at the edge of the road, melting from the warm air, and refreezing as it flows across the pavement

I am sure this scenario can happen anywhere that frost penetrates the ground

once frost has set in, it's the other way around, my friend, road surface becomes colder than air, already happened here in NH, without deicers on the road, any rain becomes black ice

·
Registered
195 Posts
BTW tarmac temperature is usually higher then air anyway so this gives some safety margin.
I know what you're saying, but there are so many exceptions to this that the safety margin is quite marginal.

For example: the pavement on the bridge will likely be colder than the pavement over the ground on each side.

The pavement in the shaded corner of the river road will be colder than the bit across the meadow in the sun.

I don't know where you live but here in Colorado, the night time temps could go down to 0* and the day time temps in the sun could be 35 or 40. That pavement will stay cold for a while while the air temp rises.

Anyway, when the ice crystal light is flashing, I pay attention.

.............shu

1 - 20 of 32 Posts