StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2020 V-Strom 650
51 Posts
Snowed in here in NE PDX. Not too much damage around me. Still coming down. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen 2-3 foot snow drifts around here. I’m ready for it to be done...

· Registered
4,484 Posts
We just went through an ice storm that was just shy of enough to really screw up all my trees. Sunday night through Tuesday morning we are in for 6" to 10" snow.......beautiful snow. I can not wait. I have had 5 phone calls already from my snow plowing customers. The tractor is full of diesel fuel and the snow plow is mounted.

Bring it on......Corndoggy needs more ammo money.

· Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I have 18 inches here at 40 miles N. of Seattle. Spent all day freeing up my work vehicle. (1200 ft driveway)
C'mon, that's rideable. You can install a plow on the front of a V-Strom and the driveway will be clear in no time.

I actually had to break down and insure the truck the other day. The winter in the PNW has been just splendid for riding up until this week. Actually, the truck was just to trailer a new bike home. I didn't want to get it salty. I like to keep them uncorroded for the first winter.

Another half a foot this afternoon. Bleh.

Melt in a few days, salty riding again this coming week.

· Registered
2018 V-Strom 1K
145 Posts
Snow, off and on - for the past week or so with single digit temperatures. It's minus one this morning and a couple inches of snow overnight. The weatherman is forecasting another 6-10 and five degrees for the high today.

Was just looking at Austin, Texas - eight degrees with five inches of snow and 2/10's of an inch of ice under that. Coldest temp since 1989 (according to my weather app) . They're seriously freaking out.

· Registered
773 Posts
I live on southern Vancouver Island, a small chunk of Canada out west that dips below the 49th parallel. We are on our third snow day in a row, which is rare in these parts. At least we haven't had a power outage in our area...yet.

· Premium Member
5,759 Posts
In Colorado Springs around 9:30 last night, it hit minus 13. The forecast was for minus 15 overnight. That's probably a record for the 18 years I've been here.
Here (WI), -12° F at Noon yesterday with a high of -3° F later in the afternoon. Today, -21° F at 8:00 AM.

· Registered
3,848 Posts
I hiked on Friday for three hours and the high during that time was about 6 degrees. I went out yesterday for about 45 minutes in -9 Temps and decided to quit before the sun departed because my face wasn't covered.

Today it's supposed to hit 16, so that's doable. It's certainly been cold and snowy lots of places.

· Registered
2006 DL1000
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hiked on Friday for three hours and the high during that time was about 6 degrees. I went out yesterday for about 45 minutes in -9 Temps and decided to quit before the sun departed because my face wasn't covered.

Today it's supposed to hit 16, so that's doable. It's certainly been cold and snowy lots of places.
Wow! At what point do you start worrying about your lungs freezing? (Not to mention your nose hairs!)

· Registered
3,826 Posts
Well reading all this Buffalo NY does not sound so bad ;-). We are going to get some inches over night now, the remnants of what comes from Texas. Temperatures have been below freezing for several weeks, but not extreme, in the higher teens at night and twenty's most days. I used the snow blower only once or twice so far this season that was to clear away "lake effect" snow. Those events are very localized but if the snow band stays in one area and conditions are right it can dump not several inches but several feet per day. Fortunately not this year. Todays event is not that its just a regular "snowstorm". Bring it on, no problem.

Lake effect snow:

Regular snowstorm:

· Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,468 Posts
We just went through an ice storm that was just shy of enough to really screw up all my trees. Sunday night through Tuesday morning we are in for 6" to 10" snow.......beautiful snow. I can not wait. I have had 5 phone calls already from my snow plowing customers. The tractor is full of diesel fuel and the snow plow is mounted.

Bring it on......Corndoggy needs more ammo money.
That's a pretty good trick turning snow into ammo. So much better than turning lemons into lemonaid.

· Registered
3,848 Posts
Wow! At what point do you start worrying about your lungs freezing? (Not to mention your nose hairs!)
Charlie,

On Friday at 6 degrees, me and my buddy really didn't have a problem on the hike other than ice underfoot. Forgot my spikes and he doesn't own any. Once we started down and weren't expending energy, the tip of my nose and my fingers got cold a bit. By the end, we were a little chilly; the ice slowed our pace a lot and the calories from our Rudy's Barbecue breakfast tacos were wearing off too.

Yesterday at minus 9, I was concerned about frostbite on my face and because I started late, I was concerned about the sun going down. So I shortened my time out there.

Today I did about 6.2 miles with my spikes and even though it was about 9 degrees, I was shedding garments for most of the uphill and some of the level. I don't like overheating. None of the days caused problems with the lungs or the like. Picture is top of the climb on Friday.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Daytime Snow

· Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Been around -10F to -20F here for the last week. Doesn't really snow when it gets that cold.

Reactions: Solarguy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.