StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
BJ, the tool is Suzuki part No.09930-82720.
It's a small 2-position toggle switch with a 5" wire harness that terminates in a connector which is the mate to the underseat Dealer Mode connector. One could easily fabricate one with a small electronic supply store-bought 2-position toggle switch, some wire, and a terminal block w/terminals from Corsa Technica.com. But I'd rather just have one sent to me from Amazon.com for approx $20. This is the tool shown in the factory service manual.
There is a similar tool shown in the manual for ABS diagnosis, but they aren't the same.
My receipt for the tool shows total price as $19.95, and the supplier, through Amazon was Everett Powersports (425)212-2111 EverettPowersports.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
I raised the tank, and using a T25 Tamperproof Torx bit, 1/4" drive ratchet and locking 6" extension, adjusted my TPS to spec--the top of the "C".
Which part is it you are adjusting - Is it obvious when the tank is lifted?

Anyone knows how the DC650A 2017 will indicate a correctly adjusted TPS?

Regards, Lars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi All,

Attempting to check TPS using the above instructions.

I've jumped the diagnostic plug and l have "c00" displayed on the odometer but there is no hyphen in the lower or upper position at the back of the "c"

Is my TPS set correctly or do I need to adjust the position of the TPS screw for the hyphen to appear? Or have I been a bonehead and missed some step along the way?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing to me. No dash next to c00. Would appreciate if someone gave us an idea what's wrong. / DL1000A 2018
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
… I've jumped the diagnostic plug and l have "c00" displayed on the odometer but there is no hyphen in the lower or upper position at the back of the "c" ....
Same thing to me. No dash next to c00. Would appreciate if someone gave us an idea what's wrong. / DL1000A 2018
Thanks!
Post a picture of what you are seeing.

And check the service manual for your model as to what the TPS sensor setting procedure is. Maybe different than the reference postings.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Jengo,

You are doing it correctly.

I wonder if the USA models are different. My bike had the little mark to the left of the "c00", meaning it looked like _c00 and I adjusted to -c00.

I wish that I knew more to tell you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Bazooka,
Thank you for the confirmation!
My bike's 6000km service is about to happen.
I will ask the mechanic about it! Would be nice to make sure that this setting is corect (if not then adjust it) because at low speed (like in a roundabout) I don't feel the engine-throttle reaction comfortable... :-(
I can live with it, but as I read above it could be better :)

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Try removing all of the slack out of the throttle cables. I find that cable slack as per the manual accentuates that abrupt on/off jerkiness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Throttle cable slack is a good point that I am aware of. Unfortunately I couldn't remove it completely because no more adjustment can be done at the throttle side, so this is also one task to do during the service... Thanks Brockie!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally, it seems I found my solution! The Suzuki service mechanic suggesteď me to turn Traction Control Off because that interfere with gnition... as I feel it helped!
We could also tune the cable slack a bit but during the next service it will be adjusted.
TPS was checked via computer diagnostics and that was good.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You will adjust the TPS with engine not running, but with the ignition key turned on.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You will adjust the TPS with engine not running, but with the ignition key turned on.
Interesting.... I'm curious of the source of these directions, and sort of wonder if an important step was left out.

The procedure for the SV650 is very similar, but with a warmed up and running engine. (shut off to jump wires for dealer mode) While getting engine to normal operating temp, adjust idle to 1200 RPM. The "-" sign should be in the center of the display. Advance the throttle very slowly, and it should jump to the top at 1450-1500 RPM. The 3 bikes I adjusted were all at 3000+. back off the screws a bit on the TPS

At that point it was a T25 security bit to back off the screws so the TPS (sensor with 2 screws, one in an elongated hole) can be moved with some resistance. It's sensitive and you have to move it in very small increments, sort of a trial and error check, re check.

I haven't checked my Strom yet, but I will be curious to see what it does running vs stopped.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bighammer-

Hmmm,,, I guess I dunno if "engine off" is correct and I might have done it incorrectly. It seemed logical to set with the engine off, so that's what I did. I do know my bike sure runs much better after the adjustment per the method I used.

·
Registered
362 Posts
the plot thickens.

My service manual would suggest but doesnt explicitly say engine off. However, i have read other forums/models where they were setting the TPS at different rpm's.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is an interesting discussion.

For controlling idle rpm, does anyone know if the Vee 2 & 3 have a IAC (idle air control) valve? As opposed to an actuator which physically opens the butterflies? IAC circuit bypasses the butterfly and is most common in automotive systems.

If these bikes have an IAC, then the butterflies will be completely closed whether the engine is running or stalled, and the TPS reading should be the same in either situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also read that (during throttle movement) the rpm when the middle dash in '-C00' changes to high counts as well. DL1000 shall be around 1200-1600rpm ideally, 650's are higher a bit but defenitely not as high as ~3500rpm.
This transition probably makes changes to engine control that makes the throttle reaction not so smooth at low rpm:s in my reading.

To be able to check this transition you have to have the engine running. This can be a kind of a fine tuning after the getting to the starting point (-C00).

Also read that TPS should not be sensitive to temperature. So does not matter whether the engine is hot (running) or not.
When the TPS gets sensitive to temp. it's not working correctly anymore.

Without practical experience I do not want to say the truth, just tried to summarize my knowledge I read about this topic that I'm also interested in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Finally, it seems I found my solution! The Suzuki service mechanic suggesteď me to turn Traction Control Off because that interfere with gnition... as I feel it helped!
We could also tune the cable slack a bit but during the next service it will be adjusted.
TPS was checked via computer diagnostics and that was good.
Thanks, I turned off TC and it did help the snappiness throttling from idle.. kinda sucks you have to lose TC to smooth out the throttle

41 - 60 of 110 Posts