StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it's been a few months now that I got the bike and my only complaint is the throttle at low speed. Throttle cable play and chain slack are fine it's really like there's a dead spot in the throttle at low speed (in 1st of 2nd).

I've read a little and it looks like it's the way the mapping has been done, so will a PCV will can help prevent the fuel cut? I commute with the bike and with the cold season coming I want to get my hand off the freezing cold clutch lever as much as possible when following traffic at low speed. Went down a tooth in front and now looking at going up 2 in the back, but still afraid it won't be enough and looking for other solutions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A lot of folks like throttle tamer for this. It definitely works, but it's not for everyone. I didn't like how it made the bike feel slow.. it required much more of a twist to get into power, but it definitely smoothed out initial roll-on.
I know PC helps with throttle tip-in on many bikes, but no personal experience with it on the V. I think the throttle on this bike is not bad at all, compared to some others I've ridden, but again to each his own.
Can also try lever covers to get rid of the cold feel:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Ok so it's been a few months now that I got the bike and my only complaint is the throttle at low speed. Throttle cable play and chain slack are fine it's really like there's a dead spot in the throttle at low speed (in 1st of 2nd).

I've read a little and it looks like it's the way the mapping has been done, so will a PCV will can help prevent the fuel cut? I commute with the bike and with the cold season coming I want to get my hand off the freezing cold clutch lever as much as possible when following traffic at low speed. Went down a tooth in front and now looking at going up 2 in the back, but still afraid it won't be enough and looking for other solutions.

I think that you've made the problem worse by gearing the bike lower. That's going to exaggerate the on/off lurching not smooth it out.

Slipping the clutch is just part of low speed riding. Ride the back brake and slip if you're going under 5mph. You're not going to be able to get a smooth throttle transition from 0 to 5% (for example) no matter what you do. There's inherent slop in the system, i.e. throttle cables, linkage, chain, rear hub cushions, etc.

WebBikeWorld has a good series on the 1000. He takes steps to smooth out the throttle and my 1000 has his recommendations. Still going slow (<5mph) it's slip the clutch ride the rear brake.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under 5mph, I will slip the clutch and drag the rear brake, it's over 5mph that I have an issue.

Again this morning I was on a ramp (180 deg U with a small decline) in 2nd, traffic slowed down so I let the throttle go a little and bike start to engine brake way too much and had to straighten the bike and downshift in 1st. Not the end of the world, but the 09 DL650 never did that in the same rpm range (I know different bike/engine)

I've ordered those exact sleeve a few weeks back from China and hope they get here soon. From what I've read they work, but are a PITA to install.

Like spec mentioned, the gearing probably doesn't help and this morning I probably would have been in 1st without the new gearing giving me more rpm. I'll try to go up 2-3 teeth in the back and see how I like it since 90% of my riding is my commute and don't my top speed.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
When I'm in first my fingers are on the clutch lever ready to slip it. A lot of people ride with their fingers on the levers all the time. I don't but I'm quick to slip if needed.

I wouldn't have shifted down to 1st in your ramp example I would have slipped the clutch in 2nd. Down shifting from 2nd to first just increases the engine surge.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Throttle tamer is your friend....:smile2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Grip Puppies can help a sharp throttle, as they slightly increase grip diameter and therefore increase the 'rolling radius'.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
After trying many different ways to secure new grips I found that squirting a black spray can inside the grip, plus tie wire to be the best method by far. The paint lubricates the grip on and allows time to move it into position. I never use glue, and even rain or mud will not move them. This is my method learned on dirt bikes.
Try a little clearcoat spray can on the lever covers.
I also recommend taking as much free play as possible from the throttle cable to reduce lurching, but check carefully lock to lock before riding. You also need to use the clutch. It is unavoidable at jogging speeds. Injected v-twins tend to be very snatchy on/off throttle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Booster Plug yesterday and installed it this morning.

Here's what the site say it will do and my observations so far after my morning commute:

Improved and softer throttle response when rolling the throttle on-off.

yes, I'll admit the bike is much smoother when you start in first, but the roll-off (my primary complaint) is still very noticeable and not sure if there's any change

Enrichment of Air/Fuel mixture when you open the throttle will improve acceleration.
only did one real pull and it could be placebo effect, but it did feel quicker

Remove the Jerky low speed running that is typical for modern lean burn engines.
I can now get down to 2100 rpm and the bike with start to pull without issue, before under 2500 was very jerky

Stronger and more reliable Idle.
it does feel smoother

Reduced Puffing in your aftermarket exhaust on engine braking.
Nope, same as before

Is this little thing worth it at 160$? I'd say yes, it didn't solve my issue, but I still like how the bike feel and respond now.

Next change will be to try to completely remove the slack in the throttle, now I'm within the recommend spec, but will try to remove more and make sure moving the steering doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've just installed the G2 Throttle Tamer on my 2017 Vee. It's solved 85% of my problems regarding the snatchy throttle, highway speeds are easier to hold as a bonus. I can live with the throttle now, money well spent!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
love the G2, it removed the instant on and gave me extra room before switching to off. Now I can take that ramp and slightly adjust my speed without having to slip the clutch or change gear.

Also I got myself a pair of battery heated gloves, so far it made a huge difference when stuck in traffic keeping my left fingers warm, now I just need winter tires, but my wife won't let me (it's a good thing)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Basshead, allow me to suggest something that may improve your throttle response.
Ive recently done this procedure on a '16 GSX-S1000, my '14 Vstrom1000. a '07 GSXR-750, and a '14 Vstrom650.
Check your Throttle Position Sensor setting.
This is REAL simple and quick and will cost you nothing to check. Adjust your throttle cable slack to 1/8" rotational free play at the grip.
1) Remove the seat and locate the white 6-pin Dealer Mode Connector
2) Remove the Dealer mode Connector cap and set aside
3) Dealer Mode Connector terminal end facing you with the cap latch on top, jumper the white/red and black/white wire terminals at the right side of the connector together with an unbent small paper clip. These terminals are stacked one over the other.
4) Turn ignition switch to the "ON" position, engine off
5) Look at your trip odometer in your gauge cluster--it will have switched from tripmeter to code reader. If there is no diagnostic trouble code you will see "C00". If your TPS adjustment is correct, you will see a hyphen just to the left of the "C", as in "-C" On the Vstrom the hyphen may be inline with the top of the "C". If the hyphen is either at the bottom of the "C:, or above the "C", the TPS needs adjustment.
My friend's Vstrom 650 was right on the money.
My Vstrom1000 was at the bottom of the C but had no drivability issues. I raised the tank, and using a T25 Tamperproof Torx bit, 1/4" drive ratchet and locking 6" extension, adjusted my TPS to spec--the top of the "C".
It ran great before, but is outstanding now. Smoother cold running, better throttle response, more power everywhere.
The GSX-R750 was at the bottom of the C. Same story, the owner reports smoother on-off-n throttle transitions, smoother and quicker response.
The real deal was a friend's GSX-S1000. For a year and a half he complained of buck on off-on throttle transitions, hesitations during low-speed maneuvers. He installed a G2 Throttle Tamer, only slightly better. He had his ECU reprogrammed 3 times, $$$$, and still didnt run right. He seriously considered selling the bike.
I did the TPS check--and it was waaay off, at the bottom. I adjusted the TPS...AND FIXED Totally different bike now and he is thrilled.
I did purchase the Suzuki Tool to do this job, makes it quicker and easier. Part # 09930-82720, was $20 shipped. But a paper clip will do.
The lesson here is twofold: Never assume the factory settings are correct, and dont do performance mods trying to correct drivability issues until you make sure the specified settings are right.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
… My Vstrom1000 was at the bottom of the C but had no drivability issues. I raised the tank, and using a T25 Tamperproof Torx bit, 1/4" drive ratchet and locking 6" extension, adjusted my TPS to spec--the top of the "C". …

Can you please confirm, did you adjust to:

--"C"

or
--
"C" .. meaning on top

rather than in the center?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Blau, on the GSXR-750 the hyphen was adjusted to the -C, center of back of C.
The GSX-S1000 was likewise adjusted to the -C.

My '14 Vstrom1000 does not adjust to the center of the C as in the above 2. It adjusts correctly with the hyphen even with the top top of the C (My puter wont do that, sorry. Picture these 2 apostrophes as a singly hyphen ""C)

There are only 3 readings possible. 1) _C, 2) -C, and 3) ''C

The correct setting is "C for the '14 DL1000.
In all cases, when the hyphen is above the C or at the bottom of the C the setting is incorrect, and this TPS setting will have the ECU running lean at all throttle positions. The TPS is set at closed throttle, but its setting affects the whole range of throttle rotation.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm a newbie and have also felt a bit of a snappy throttle on my 2017 V-Strom DL650, but I thought it was me not having great throttle control yet. I'll have to pay attention to it and see if it's me or the bike.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts