StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in the 650 for over a year without actually sitting on one or getting a good look. I ride an 86 Shadow 1100 that I've had for 20 seasons now. Still a great bike but I need a change sometime. I'm wondering if the riding position will not be laid back enough. I'm used to long rides with my feet primarily out in front of me and a nice lazy slouch. I know you can put highway pegs on, but does that recapture the feel at all? Just wondering. Al

·
Registered
121 Posts
No highway pegs... However, V Strom pegs are located under your hips. Easy to reposition your butt, or even rise up out of your seat to allow more the blood to flow. I had cruiser-style bike before the DL 650. I find the V-strom, even with stock seat (you'll read a lot of complaints about the DL 650 stock seat) to be more comfortable than the cruiser style position.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
The V-Strom ergonomics beckon your engagement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Comfort is a very subjective thing so I'd take whatever I heard here (or anywhere else) with a grain of salt. I've owned one cruiser, an HD Super-Glide, and it really doesn't compare to your bike because the pegs were mid-mount. That said, HD mid-mount pegs are still well forward of where the pegs mount on most bikes.

I rode the bike a lot, 54,000 miles in 23 months, and it was ok but I found this:

Back comfort. That slouch will eventually bulge disks in your lower back because your back is designed to curve in, not out. I know, I know......"doesn't hurt my back to slouch". Not yet it doesn't.

Butt comfort. Without being able to weight the pegs and relieve pressure now and again can make 150 mile + stretches a pain, literally. Not so important on the HD because that was it's range. The DL can go 200 miles a pop, easy. I have always been a firm believer that the seat and postion should be comfortable enough to ride to reserve, tank after tank.

Control. You just can't believe what having the pegs underneath you can do for control. Imagine trying to ride a bicycle over unstable terrain and having your feet out in front of you as opposed to being able to stand/or weight the pedals more than the seat 2-3 feet above it.

I've owned and ridden motorcycles continuously for 38 years. Of them all, and I've had some nice ones, the DL650 is clearly the best. But like I said before, that really doesn't mean anything because it's what I think, not what you think.

·
Banned
307 Posts
strom ergo's

I've been interested in the 650 for over a year without actually sitting on one or getting a good look. I ride an 86 Shadow 1100 that I've had for 20 seasons now. Still a great bike but I need a change sometime. I'm wondering if the riding position will not be laid back enough. I'm used to long rides with my feet primarily out in front of me and a nice lazy slouch. I know you can put highway pegs on, but does that recapture the feel at all? Just wondering. Al
i had cruiser before v-strom. strom ergo's work ok for me. i dont miss the laid back ergo's at all. not even the hi-way pegs. :bom_2thumbsup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Control. You just can't believe what having the pegs underneath you can do for control. Imagine trying to ride a bicycle over unstable terrain and having your feet out in front of you as opposed to being able to stand/or weight the pedals more than the seat 2-3 feet above it.
I started out on dirtbikes and on a cruiser I feel like I'm trying to steer with my ass.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I spent a lot of time ( and money ) setting up my Vulcan 1500 for touring. ( drivers backrest is a must ) 600 mile days were no problem and amazed some of the Gold Wing riders I was with. Kept the Vulcan for 46,000 miles.

What lead me to change to an upright riding position tourer was a driver that crossed over a double yellow coming toward me. I avoided a collision but as mentioned in other replies, I didn't have as much control and steering ability as I feel I wanted.

Both types of bikes can be made to be very comfortable for long rides but I do feel safer on the DL as I'm able to react much quicker. The ability to stand up on the pegs to stretch a little is a big plus as well. Spend the bucks on a good seat ( Russell was my choice ) and you'll be good to go. ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone. There is a dealer near here that has a new black and silver 08 650 for under $6300 Canadian. If it wasn't for my wife demanding a new kitchen in the spring I think I'd be very tempted. Maybe next year...

·
Registered
40 Posts

So? Did you geet the Wee?

I drove the Yamaha XV VIrago1100 untill it broke and on several occasions in between an eighties Shadow1100. The Strom is more easy to manoever like the Virago (if ever this comparison is accepted). The Eightysomething Shadow is much more heavy.

But,... when you're used to ride with your arms in front of ya,... a bit higher positioned than ordinary bikes, good comfort and yet long cruising capable. The Strom gave me what I expect. I had the same questions you had and was not dissapointed. The Strom is much closer to the classic chopper than our classic choppers are to nowadays long based 1500cc to 1900cc cruisers.

Yes,.. it takes a moment to get used to a normal riding position,.. but i'm working on it. Looking for slall risers ans something to rest my feet. We'll getr there...

have fun. Buy a Wee of a Vee.
My Wee (650cc) is an upgrade, not a downgrade and has more torque, top speed and raw horsepower than my XV1100cc chopper. And the torque is there at 3000 rpm and holds steady up to 8000 and more rpm. So,.. that's somehow comparable to our old choppers.

Hey,.. the Strom is a trial for those who want to go offroad,... a streetbike for those who love the city and a chopper for those who love to cruise the highway.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i rode a magna for pretnear 16 years before buying my strom, and its way more comfortable than it was, took a wee bit of gettin used to but once i did, its a much better beast

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Nero, thanks for the comments - didn't go take a closer look at the Wee. The riding season is over here in Ontario and it looks like we will have a builder redo our kitchen over the winter. Once that is done with and the wife is happy I can think about swapping bikes. My old Shadow is still in terrific condition because it's always been stored indoors and only has 112,000 km on it. I'll only have to spend about another $2000-$2500 to get a good used Wee either next fall or spring 2010. The Suzuki dealer in town here is an old friend of mine that I used to live with. I haven't seen him in over a year because my bike never needs anything! He's a multi-dealer and doesn't carry vstroms, (because he doesn't have the floor space - lots of 4 wheels, seadoos etc) I'll have to pay him a visit over the winter to talk colour choices. -Al

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi way pegs

Someone on this forum has said that if you ride bikes long enough they will kill you. If you ride a bike with your feet on hiway pegs you will for certain die a lot sooner, and that brother is a FACT. Get a real bike and I don't mean a Harley.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
riding position is real good. you might want some handlebar risers. seat might leave you wanting another. and the fairing will take some getting used to. it blocks the wind and causes buffeting for most. you'll no longer get that clean flow around your helmet. but you do get used to it. itell you if you ride the Strom for awhile when you get back on the Shadow it will almost feel like it's an rigid. i've a '92 Shadow 600. got the Vee because i wanted something more sporty and luggage capable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Someone on this forum has said that if you ride bikes long enough they will kill you. If you ride a bike with your feet on hiway pegs you will for certain die a lot sooner, and that brother is a FACT. Get a real bike and I don't mean a Harley.
O well,... why should the Shadow not be a real bike? I've driven +27000 km a year on a comparable Japanese XV1100 Virago chopper and ride summer and winter, and drove a Shadow 1100 every time when the XV was in the shop for maintenance. Had other choice but chose the Shadow time & again. And I can tell ya,.. them classic choppers are real bikes though not many can really ride em well because after all,... it's not a bike for rookies who think that it's only build for "carry straight on the highway ride outs". If you have the gust,.. ya can have loads of fun on a classic chopper.

If I ride the Wee now,... it's because it reminds me most of the classic chopper, in a modern version. No,.. I don't like the nowadays cruisers. So if for you, the Wee is like a streetbike or a Trail bike,... that's fine to me. Why do you classify us as riders of unreal bikes? Oh well,... dunno why I even want to respond. Must be in the biker blood ;-)

Av8or,... the Magna is a brilliant bike. Have riden it occasionally (eighties version) and where the classic choppers stops at 7500 rpm,... the Magna hurles to higher ground. Adrenaline bike like the Vmax. And the Strom is the perfect concensus for thowe who like the classic chopper if you want a modern bike within a fair budget. I did install a fat bar and will have small handmade risers,.. now looking for kinda highway pegs,.. hèhè,... yea. Ride out !

·
Registered
708 Posts
Av8or,... the Magna is a brilliant bike. Have riden it occasionally (eighties version) and where the classic choppers stops at 7500 rpm,... the Magna hurles to higher ground. Adrenaline bike like the Vmax.
i wouldn't compare my old magna (mine was an 82) to a vmax lol, it was a fine bike for only a 750, but it was tired and too uncomfortable for me to ride any distance anymore, hopefully its seeing a good life with lots of riding and care (nee $$$) that i couldn't

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a 57 year old rider, been riding for over 40 years, (dirt & street) and I will tell you it is going to take some adjustment to get used to a Strom from a Cruiser. I have an 05 Harley Street Glide, and an 07 Strom 1000, had to put a taller seat on the strom because stock, lower seat put too much backward bend in my knees!! Put a 2" taller accessory seat on, helped a lot! Now the bike is real tall, hard to reach ground with both feet at a stop, but I would rather have this then the pain in my knees!! What I would give for a modern adventure/standard bike that was as comfortable as my 81 GS1100E Zook!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Put a 2" taller accessory seat on, helped a lot! Now the bike is real tall, hard to reach ground with both feet at a stop
I'
ve had the bike lowered,... so no problemo,.. piece of cake.
But yes,.. it takes some adjustements,... firsdt thing i dod was replace the steer with a flat bar,... suppose there is no forward control ;-) for the wee LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts