StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to head to Deals Gap once again and opening this up to a couple other riders if interested.
Planning for about 8days of riding - 3 days there, a couple days in the Smoky's and then 3 days back.
Still figuring out the dates - likely between July 6-14. I would like to avoid riding in rain for hours/days on end. Been there done that.
Probably do Super8 Motels and pitch a tent at Ironhorse when down at Deals Gap, but could be convinced otherwise.
I ride a little spirited, but keep a responsible pace, especially in small towns. Don't want to get any tickets and or drama. I'm on a V-Strom 650.
Essentially ride all day on pavement w/ relentless twisties... sleep all night. Rinse and repeat.

These routes are from an 8day ride we did back in 2015 that got seriously rained out, so I'd like to try them again on dry pavement.

Day 1: Mississauga to Bridgeport - Mississauga to Bridgeport WV - 9hrs/725km
Day 2: Bridgeport to Boone - Bridgeport WV to Boone, NC via Us219, VA311, VA16, US421 - 11hrs/750km
Day 3: Boone to Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge - Boone, NC to Ironhorse Lodge via US221, TN143, US226a, NC80, BRP - 9.5hrs/550km
Day 4: Smoky Loop 1 - Cherohala, Dragon, Little River, NC215 / Canada Rd Loop - 10.5hrs/650km
Day 5: Smoky Loop 2 - Dragon, Cherohala and Moonshiner Loop - 10hrs/600km
Day 6: Ironhorse to Willville Bike Camp - Ironhorse Lodge to Willville via BRP - 10hrs/600km
Day 7: Willville to Somerset PA - Willville to Somerset PA via WV 250, 33, Smoke Hole - 10.5hrs/750km
Day 8: Somerset PA to Mississauga - Somerset PA to Mississauga via Wykoff Run Rd, PA144, Kettle Creek - 9hrs/725km

If you are interested, PM or post up.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If you can I'd hit VA16 form Tazewell VA to Marion (the back of the Dragon) as you are close and its a great section of road that is not highly travelled. Actually from Marion VA to Fly WV route 16 is about 375 miles of excellent road save for about 5 miles around Beckly WV.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you can I'd hit VA16 form Tazewell VA to Marion (the back of the Dragon) as you are close and its a great section of road that is not highly travelled. Actually from Marion VA to Fly WV route 16 is about 375 miles of excellent road save for about 5 miles around Beckly WV.
Thanks. I've done large sections of it before and this time will run the #16 section from Tazewell down to Volney & the Jeb Stuart / Highlands Pkwy #58 and take that across over to Denton Valley Rd and over to US421 The Snake.
And that's just a few hours of Day 2 - Sweet!

edit: and about 5 years ago I did the Claw of the Dragon and rode that whole area and all the little side roads in between. It was tons of fun. No such thing as a boring road down there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just got back from Tennessee a few days ago. We usually stay in Gatlinburg and ride the Dragon & area, but for some reason this time we decided to stay in Johnson City and do “The Southern Dozen” ... Not nearly as good. We ended up leaving early and riding up to West Virginia.
If I had the time I would LOVE to head back down with you... unfortunately this darn job keeps getting in the way of my fun!! :frown2:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from Tennessee a few days ago. We usually stay in Gatlinburg and ride the Dragon & area, but for some reason this time we decided to stay in Johnson City and do “The Southern Dozen” ... Not nearly as good. We ended up leaving early and riding up to West Virginia.
If I had the time I would LOVE to head back down with you... unfortunately this darn job keeps getting in the way of my fun!! :frown2:
West Virginia is pretty sweet. I would like to go back and spend a week there riding around. I looked at that Southern Dozen page and all the rides on there. It seems most of the rides have a portion of a good road with a bunch of more sedate roads to make a loop. Maybe it's more oriented towards leisurely cruising?

This is the only chance I will get to go on a decent ride this year longer than a day or two, so I might as well enjoy it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK, so I have an extra, brand new National Geographic map of the Blue Ridge Parkway, covering North Carolina and Virginia. It is waterproof and tear-resistant and is available at no cost other than postage to the first Trooper that pm's me. If relatively close and I can swing it I could also meet part way for a hand off. This should probably be in the for sale section, but this seemed like a good spot. I think it was about $15.00 American. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
West Virginia is pretty sweet. I would like to go back and spend a week there riding around. I looked at that Southern Dozen page and all the rides on there. It seems most of the rides have a portion of a good road with a bunch of more sedate roads to make a loop. Maybe it's more oriented towards leisurely cruising?

This is the only chance I will get to go on a decent ride this year longer than a day or two, so I might as well enjoy it!
Put the Dingess tunnel on your radar.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts