StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I turned on my trusty 3 year old GPSMap 60CX and smoke poured out of the side of the case after about 20 seconds - time for unit to sync up and for me to see all the ice-fishing locations I was about to lose.

Screen went blank, then a hole appeared in display that grew larger - almost like the opening credits of an old western where the parchment catches fire in the middle and expands outward, exposing scene underneath. Quickly turned power off and that was all she wrote.

Batteries were fresh last Saturday. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues and what they might have found out.

Thanks

Bob

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I haven't had an issue like that on the GPS, but did have a rechargeable Nickle Metal Hydride battery go up in smoke while being recharged.

If the memory card didn't get fried you should be able to still use it and if you have backed things up to the Mapsource Program you shouldn't lose anything but stuff added since the backup. I don't think the meory card will retain maps in a replacement backup, at least not if the maps were locked.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already sent an email to Garmn and their CDN repair subsidiary just to see if this is a problem. I'll keep the group posted although I frankly don't hold out much hope based on past experiences with consumer electronics items in general.

Safe riding,

Bob

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I know how much effort goes in to finding and saving all those great spots.

On a lighter note:
I have it on pretty good authority (I know a guy that knows a guy whose sister is an electrical engineer) that those little electronic gizmos won't work if you let the smoke out. She always said, "Never let the smoke out!"

;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
heck, I am an electrical engineer and can tell you for a fact that all electrical equipment runs on black magic and smoke. As soon as you let the smoke out of any component, it loses it's ability to work. I believe it was my embedded design professor who told us that as we were soldering microcontrollers to a board.

--Rick

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the condolences and sage insights into microcircuitry though - it is as I always suspected. No word from Garmin yet and my new 76CSX should be here tomorrow, in time for weekend sledding and fishing.

Re: backups - I keep a fishing diary with me -just a little address type book and copy all coords down after I waypoint them. Write in pencil, store in waterproof pocket and it's almost foolproof. I also, when available, and if I'm on a little junket, take a screen shot of the unit with my digital camera - comes in handy virtually anywhere. I only lost a couple of spots on Lake Simcoe and can revisit this weekend.

Dead GPS still smells like burnt microwave popcorn though.

Safe riding

Bob

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well - as I expected - I got a sympathy reply from Garmin, suggesting that I go through Raytec if I wanted to get it repaired (279$CDN plus shipping both ways, flat rate.) They did mention that they had never heard of that before (surprise, surprise) - perhaps I'm the only owner who survived the inferno......

Opening the 60CX case revealed all the trace leads feeding the screen on bottom and one side were "crispy" and somewhat non-contiguous. A slight bit of green tinge on one or two traces told me that may have been some moisture inside - although it sat in my pocket for a week prior to the inferno.

My new 76 CSX arrived yesterday and works wonderfully - for $339 CDN and all the accessories with the 60CX are interchangeable except mobile mounts.

We'll see how the next three years go.

Safe riding

Bob

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I save all my waypoints and tracks to MapSource. I thought eveyone did that.

That way I can load up what I want later if necessary. Plus if anything happens to my GPS I still have the data.

I also find it helpful to clean out unwanted tracks and waypoints, or adjust them. In that case I can reload only what I want to the GPS. Much less clutter that way.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well - as I expected - I got a sympathy reply from Garmin,

I think if you were in the States you'd get a better response from Garmin. I think their hands are ties in Canada because everything goes through Raytech.

Over on ADV, there are all kinds of stories of Garmin's amazing customer service, and stepping up and replacing many units for free when there is an issue.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have followed up again with Garmin - not satisfied , as suggested,. that this was taken seriously. Good advice from Jim - I do that, however, it's not always the first thing I do when I arrive home - sometimes it's a few days like this instance. Ended up only losing about 10 spots on the lake, which I recreated from my fishing buddy's unit. I still like a paper copy for the obvious reasons though as well as fact that I keep a journal of various days on the water.

Safe riding.

Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
We had garmin radio/gps units get hot and fail in Iraq. They would get too hot to touch and then would stop working completely. The more complicated the gps, the more likely it was to fail:roll:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chevytruckdude:
Having your GPS fail in Iraq makes my little problem of losing a few selected hotspots for ice fishing pale by comparison.

Just want to be clear to everyone - this is not a Garmin-bash. They make a good product and is why I bought another one. I've always had concerns about the case robustness on the 60 series since the screen is so close to the rounded, molded part of the unit. While carrying the unit is a neoprene Gilsson case helps protect it, it doesn't eliminate risk. I had contacted them earlier about my concerns and they had responded in a timely manner with an unofficial suggestion or two as to what to do since paying almost $300CDN to repair is so close to full retail up here that it wasn't worth the risk versus buying a replacement. I wanted to share my experience with the unit since I have seen it on a number of bikes - it's a versatile package, as is my new 76 CSX.

I wouldn't expect after 3 years on any consumer appliance , to get a replacement unless i had a specific warranty for just that - just wanted to see if someone else had a similar experience and if there was a trend. Given my earlier comments re: case, I wasn't totally surprised to find the screen disappearing and the smoke coming out of the area around the screen - seems to vindicate (unfortunately) my fears about that area of the case.

in any event, unless I get some new details back from RayTech, I'll consider this one closed.

Safe riding

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts