StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few times I rode my V it seemed to miss a bit and would get hotter than normal 3 bars in cool weather. I decided to start it and let it run to see if it would do it sitting still. It ran nice for about 5 min then I got 3 bars I checked to see if the fan had started but it had not. I could see smoke coming from around the gas cap! I thought I was seeing things so I let it run a little longer. It started smokeing more and smelled like wiring burning. I shut it of and the smoke stopped. I took the tank off expecting to find burned wires some place under the tank that had some how pushed smoke up and around the gas cap. I could find nothing that looked burned at all! If it was wiring under the tank how could the smoke come out the gas cap area? Has anyone had this problem? Could it be the gas tank vent hose touching a hot engine part?

Lakehound

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
No fan and smoke ???

Tell the Gas cap about the surgeon generals warning.

Note I am NOT sure when the fan is suposed to turn on. There have been many reports of burning at connectors. unplug inspect and plug it is very easy to have a high resistance at a connector

"Once you let out the magic smoke it stops working"

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The overflow tube probably is touching the exhaust pipe. Look for the tubes coming out of the bottom of the bike near the right footpeg.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Did you open the tank cap after to see if there was smoke in the tank? If so, was the tank nearly empty? Could this be the fuel ELECTRIC pump?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked the vent tubes can not see any melting or hot spots. Can not find any burned wires any where on the bike. I am stumped for now! I am not going to get a chance to work on it for a few days hope someone that has had the same problem can tell me what it is. The fact it was smoking from the seam of the gas cap has to narrow down the possible places the smoke originated from. The fuel pump is in the tank is it possible the smoke came from inside the tank??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel tank was near full 20 miles or so out of full tank. I was thinking maybe fuel pump but is that possible? Has anyone had a fuel pump burn up?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is there a safety concern starting and running the bike with the gas cap open? Park outdoors on center stand, if equipped, and monitor it as you did before. The the source then can be seen. Don't know if theres a posibility of fuel "misting" ....SO, have no sources of ignition around.

Sounds reasonable it'd be the hose for draining water trapped around the gas cap rim, touching something hot enough to "smoke it". But hey if your sure the hose is'nt burning.....

Does your bike have two hose nipples on the tank.... one for water drain and one for charcoal canister suction? Are they swapped? Would/ could that cause such a event? Oh maybe they're different sizes... can't mix 'em up.

Dave

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't have a clue about the smoking part but 3 bars in cool weather is what my bike does and always has. They say it's normal.

·
38,103 Posts
I don't have a clue about the smoking part but 3 bars in cool weather is what my bike does and always has. They say it's normal.
It is for a Wee. The post is about a Vee. The DL1000 should show two bars except in stop and go traffic in warm weather when it can go to three. Three bars in cool weather is a sign of a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Fuel tank was near full 20 miles or so out of full tank. I was thinking maybe fuel pump but is that possible? Has anyone had a fuel pump burn up?
I haven't seen any reports of pump motors burning up, but there have been some failures.

·
38,103 Posts
I don't see how the smoke could be coming from inside the tank. It's got the be from the drain opening.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't see how the smoke could be coming from inside the tank. It's got the be from the drain opening.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. (or at least something above it's melting point)

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Is it possible to run the bike with the tank laying on a table beside the bike?

It would eliminate a smoking source underneath that way.

If it's really coming from the tank, you can't ride it like that. That's too dangerous.

Could you drain the tank and look inside with an LED flashlight to see if there is anything scorched inside?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Is there a safety concern starting and running the bike with the gas cap open? Park outdoors on center stand, if equipped, and monitor it as you did before. The the source then can be seen. Don't know if theres a posibility of fuel "misting" ....SO, have no sources of ignition around.

Dave
Do not under any circumstances run a bike with the fuel cap open. There are many sources of spark on a running bike, (spark plugs/ignition wires operating at 20-30000 v) The fuel mists/vapours at -45 degrees. That is it's flash point. Yes you will get away with it 99 x's out of a hundred. Just like Russian roulette!:yikes:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Is it possible to run the bike with the tank laying on a table beside the bike?

It would eliminate a smoking source underneath that way.

If it's really coming from the tank, you can't ride it like that. That's too dangerous.

Could you drain the tank and look inside with an LED flashlight to see if there is anything scorched inside?
It should be possible to flip the tank around 180 degrees and leave all the plumbing connected. Taking the seat off and putting some heavy cardboard down to keep the tank off the battery terminals will probably be the easiest.

If the bike's been parked I'd be looking for smoking mouse.

Pet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry guys been away fishing for a few days just got back. I have now fully removed the tank and the vent line is burned but not at the bottom. It was dark when I removed it and had not inspected it closly enough. This explains the smoke! Thanks to all that replied! I am still worried about the getting bike getting hot. 3 bars is not normal on my bike. It is a V or 1000. I have never had it run at 3 bars unless it was hot out and in traffic. Over flow bottle seems to have the right amount to fluid in it! any ideas why it would suddenly start running hot?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts