StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·

Satellite image capture showing fire and smoke spots. Supposedly we will start getting a bit of wind from the West today, which will start blowing that smoke back toward us from the ocean, but it should also start blowing the flames “back in on themselves”, at least that’s what I’m hoping.

Yeah, we were supposed to be in the high 90s here in Oregon this week, but smoke kept the temps in the low 80s. Was pretty chilly this morning. So ready for this to be over.

Reactions: Charlie1982
Now social media is spreading misinformation claiming that Antifa is starting fires and that mobs are looting homes that have been evacuated. WTF! Now we have far-right groups like Proud Boys showing up armed to fight this imagined threat. Really sad that agitators are using this catastrophe to further divide people.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Well, my specific area is under Level 1 as of a little while ago. I’m not too concerned at this point, and probably won’t be unless we get moved to Level 2. I still have a lot less to worry about than a lot of people not too far from here. My neighbors have relatives who were in a Level 3 area, and might not even have a house anymore.

Down South we are waiting for the low to move in and blow some of the smoke away. Lungs burning and the sky is just like the 50's in So Cal. So many days now the skies are clear enough to see 100 miles when we don't have fires. This temporary situation is a blast from the past.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Holding steady here. Still lots of smoke and haze in the air, but the big fires haven't gotten any closer that I know of. The people I mentioned in an earlier post still have their house, last I heard. There was a small fire off of Brush Creek Rd. that was caught while it was small and extinguished, which is a great relief.
It's still hard to breathe outside, but I'm doing my best to be thankful that we only have smoke here to worry about, and not fire. Also am very thankful for firefighters right now!

Smoke is very thick over here on Vancouver Island the past several days. For the first time ever I can't see Saltspring Island from my deck. It's not that far away either.

We've successfully stopped people travelling over the border during Covid, but your smoke shows no respect for the border shutdown.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Well as of this morning, the town of Brownsville has been downrated from Level 1 to nothing at all, and Crawfordsville & Holley have been moved from Level 3 (“Go Now”) to Level 2 (“Be ready to leave any time”), so that’s some progress. :)

Lots of fog this morning, too (not just smoke)...

With the Bobcat fire so close I was surprised to see the moon and a star high in sky just before sunrise. It's been a thick, smelly Pall for a week. We'se waiting for some breeze to blow it all away.
Folks living in the foothills are being warned of evacuations.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
With the Bobcat fire so close I was surprised to see the moon and a star high in sky just before sunrise. It's been a thick, smelly Pall for a week. We'se waiting for some breeze to blow it all away.
Folks living in the foothills are being warned of evacuations.
Yeah, I don't think I've seen the moon or any stars for around a week, and I know exactly what you mean about the smell. Can see an orange-colored sun part of the time on most days, but even that has often been pretty faint. But, for what it's worth, it was quite foggy (not just smoke) this morning, so at least a bit of the moisture is coming back. There appears to be a chance of thunderstorms and rain in the forecast for later this week, so hopefully we will actually get some wet stuff falling from the sky...

Smoke is very thick over here on Vancouver Island the past several days. For the first time ever I can't see Saltspring Island from my deck. It's not that far away either.

We've successfully stopped people travelling over the border during Covid, but your smoke shows no respect for the border shutdown.
I’ve seen some stories of plate shaming and Americans arrested up that way so your border closing isn’t totally successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the border is open to commercial traffic, AND US residents passing thru to get to Alaska. They must drive directly through Canada, the shortest route possible. Unfortunately, some of those people take detours. They've been found on Vancouver Island, Banff and Vancouver just sight-seeing. I have zero sympathy for these people. Matter of fact I'd like to see them not only fined, but their vehicle impounded for 14 days before they can get it back.

Now, I assume that's not quite what you are talking about, you are referring to Canadians with US plates because they work and reside down there and have come home. Some don't change their plates because of costs and/or they never expected it to last this long and there have been lots of incidents of "plate shaming".

Now I feel for these people, but if I were in their shoes I'd be doing everything to make it obvious that I fall into the category of "Canadian but with US plates". I've seen cars with signs/stickers on the back window or bumper that say "HEY, I'm a Canadian with US plates" or something to that effect. Just makes sense to do that in these times.

No offense, but these days with Covid and the USAs vapid response to the pandemic, I don't want visitors from the states coming up here and potentially ruining our efforts to flatten the curve. Unfortunately, there are a few people who fall victim to the more overzealous of us up here who feel the same way I do.

Keep in mind that this is happening up here in Canada where we are generally known for being nice and polite, something you folk down in the US often make fun of in safer times. I can guarantee that if the situation was reversed and we were bringing such risk across the border into the US we would receive a rougher reception.

Sorry, just reread your post and I apologize if my tone was a bit confrontational. Just a sign of the times we live in these days.

I made the trip from Portland area (Willamette Valley) to Redmond (Central Oregon) on Thursday, was really bad from Estacada to Gov't Camp (on Mt Hood)... looked like oncoming cars were running without headlights until they were really close, then clear into Redmond. Woke up Friday to dense smoke over there. Smoke was bad over the weekend we'd lose sight of our golf balls while they were on the way up.

Made my way home last night, was quite a bit better than Thursday, but still pretty smokey. Forecast is for some light rain in the Willamette Valley over the next couple days, which should help. The major mud/landslide issues that occur after wildfires are usually a couple years later (when the root systems finally give way). If we get rains this winter, I'm expecting the Columbia River Gorge to have some serious landslide issues.

ToothDoc, don't apologize. A lot of Americans are an arrogant bunch and don't seem to care for rules and regulations. Everything is a personal affront to their individual rights, as they see it. Canada is trying to protect its citizens from the pandemic. Just the opposite of what we South of you do. 200,000 and counting. Don't wear a mask and distance yourself and you can be next.

H8, right about the possibilities for landslides and flooding. It may get real ugly in a reverse way. Fire burns off the vegetation and the rains wash away the soil. It's going to be a long time before some areas look good again. Odd though, after the Station fire in our local mountains for a few years we had fantastic flower blooms. Each subsequent year was a display of a different flower. Rather impressive.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.