StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Willamette Valley like this, and my dad said he hasn’t either, as far as he can remember. Stay safe out there, folks!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Looks like you guys are now copping a fire season like we had for our 2019-20 Australian summer.. everything on fire, air quality really bad, smoke haze and poor visibility in many areas.

Here we have already started our fuel reduction burns to try to avoid another bad season with our approaching summer, and it is shaping up to be another bad season coming. 😧

Stay safe over there.

Reactions: hoggdoc

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was like this 3 years ago when the Gorge was on fire and the wind was blowing.

Sent from my Etch a Sketch
Oh yeah, I remember seeing pictures of that. It was never that bad down here South of Salem, though, from that fire. Some places up there looked a lot worse than what it was here yesterday, that time. (For smoke in the air, I mean)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Smoke is as thick as fog here. I can't go outside for any length of time without feeling woozey! My eyes are burning sitting inside my house.

Can't ride of course even if I could the mountain roads are closed because of the fires. My wife was coming home through Death Valley yesterday and said it was filled with smoke.

Worst I've seen in my 60 years of living in California. Oh yea did I mention it was hot too? Hit 115 over the weekend. Well at least my power is still on...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Monmouth, Oregon here. Upon waking this morning I thought I had set my alarm about two hours early since it was pitch dark outside at 7am...nope, it's the smoke. Probably from the fire in east Marion Co. near Detroit Lake.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
The sun is dull and glowing a dim red above the upper Mississippi this morning. I am pretty sure it is burning out, and by tomorrow we will all be sunk into perpetual darkness. But it could also be from forest fires to the west. That seems like a plausible alternative theory.

If the sun burns out, at least we'll still have the moon, that casts some decent light when it's full.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,481 Posts
NM. We had a break the last few weeks, but a haze rolled in yesterday afternoon. More forest fire smoke.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Welcome to the new normal! When I fought forest fires as a Hot Shot the season ended in November or following the first 3 inches of rain. My how times have changed. Maybe lush springs followed by blazingly hot summers and lots of nice dry growth to support fires. Good times for young people dumb enough to go throw dirt at the fires. It was exciting.
People that live in rural areas should take defensible space to heart and rake up the leaves and trim the trees and bushes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the new normal! When I fought forest fires as a Hot Shot the season ended in November or following the first 3 inches of rain. My how times have changed. Maybe lush springs followed by blazingly hot summers and lots of nice dry growth to support fires. Good times for young people dumb enough to go throw dirt at the fires. It was exciting.
People that live in rural areas should take defensible space to heart and rake up the leaves and trim the trees and bushes.
You were a Hot Shot? You should post some of your stories sometime, I’ll bet you have some good ones. I met a former Hot Shot a number of years ago, and enjoyed listening to him. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pretty bad here in Eugene Oregon right now. My son lives near Glide Oregon and is packing up his belongings preparing to evacuate. Glide is being evacuated and a couple of his friends have already had their houses burn down.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty bad here in Eugene Oregon right now. My son lives near Glide Oregon and is packing up his belongings preparing to evacuate. Glide is being evacuated and a couple of his friends have already had their houses burn down.
Sorry to hear that. I wish your son well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Southern Vancouver Island was covered in smoke yesterday, mostly from the Oregon fires I suppose. Clear blue sky's today! I retired from the BC Wildfire Service 1 1/2 years ago but still get called back from time to time when the sh#t hits the fan...

Hope everyone is safe out there!

·
Administrator
5,995 Posts
I have seen some terrible images of homes and towns destroyed. Sympathies to all those affected. Stay safe.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts