StromTrooper banner

Smoke/Haze

6K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  Charlie1982 
#1 ·

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Willamette Valley like this, and my dad said he hasn’t either, as far as he can remember. Stay safe out there, folks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like you guys are now copping a fire season like we had for our 2019-20 Australian summer.. everything on fire, air quality really bad, smoke haze and poor visibility in many areas.

Here we have already started our fuel reduction burns to try to avoid another bad season with our approaching summer, and it is shaping up to be another bad season coming. 😧

Stay safe over there.

#5 ·
It was like this 3 years ago when the Gorge was on fire and the wind was blowing.

Sent from my Etch a Sketch
Oh yeah, I remember seeing pictures of that. It was never that bad down here South of Salem, though, from that fire. Some places up there looked a lot worse than what it was here yesterday, that time. (For smoke in the air, I mean)

#6 ·
Smoke is as thick as fog here. I can't go outside for any length of time without feeling woozey! My eyes are burning sitting inside my house.

Can't ride of course even if I could the mountain roads are closed because of the fires. My wife was coming home through Death Valley yesterday and said it was filled with smoke.

Worst I've seen in my 60 years of living in California. Oh yea did I mention it was hot too? Hit 115 over the weekend. Well at least my power is still on...

#7 ·
Monmouth, Oregon here. Upon waking this morning I thought I had set my alarm about two hours early since it was pitch dark outside at 7am...nope, it's the smoke. Probably from the fire in east Marion Co. near Detroit Lake.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
The sun is dull and glowing a dim red above the upper Mississippi this morning. I am pretty sure it is burning out, and by tomorrow we will all be sunk into perpetual darkness. But it could also be from forest fires to the west. That seems like a plausible alternative theory.

If the sun burns out, at least we'll still have the moon, that casts some decent light when it's full.

#10 ·
Welcome to the new normal! When I fought forest fires as a Hot Shot the season ended in November or following the first 3 inches of rain. My how times have changed. Maybe lush springs followed by blazingly hot summers and lots of nice dry growth to support fires. Good times for young people dumb enough to go throw dirt at the fires. It was exciting.
People that live in rural areas should take defensible space to heart and rake up the leaves and trim the trees and bushes.

#19 ·
Southern Vancouver Island was covered in smoke yesterday, mostly from the Oregon fires I suppose. Clear blue sky's today! I retired from the BC Wildfire Service 1 1/2 years ago but still get called back from time to time when the sh#t hits the fan...

Hope everyone is safe out there!

#24 ·
Now social media is spreading misinformation claiming that Antifa is starting fires and that mobs are looting homes that have been evacuated. WTF! Now we have far-right groups like Proud Boys showing up armed to fight this imagined threat. Really sad that agitators are using this catastrophe to further divide people.

#25 ·
Well, my specific area is under Level 1 as of a little while ago. I’m not too concerned at this point, and probably won’t be unless we get moved to Level 2. I still have a lot less to worry about than a lot of people not too far from here. My neighbors have relatives who were in a Level 3 area, and might not even have a house anymore.

#28 ·
Down South we are waiting for the low to move in and blow some of the smoke away. Lungs burning and the sky is just like the 50's in So Cal. So many days now the skies are clear enough to see 100 miles when we don't have fires. This temporary situation is a blast from the past.

#29 ·
Holding steady here. Still lots of smoke and haze in the air, but the big fires haven't gotten any closer that I know of. The people I mentioned in an earlier post still have their house, last I heard. There was a small fire off of Brush Creek Rd. that was caught while it was small and extinguished, which is a great relief.
It's still hard to breathe outside, but I'm doing my best to be thankful that we only have smoke here to worry about, and not fire. Also am very thankful for firefighters right now!

#30 ·
Smoke is very thick over here on Vancouver Island the past several days. For the first time ever I can't see Saltspring Island from my deck. It's not that far away either.

We've successfully stopped people travelling over the border during Covid, but your smoke shows no respect for the border shutdown.

#36 ·
Smoke is very thick over here on Vancouver Island the past several days. For the first time ever I can't see Saltspring Island from my deck. It's not that far away either.

We've successfully stopped people travelling over the border during Covid, but your smoke shows no respect for the border shutdown.
I’ve seen some stories of plate shaming and Americans arrested up that way so your border closing isn’t totally successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Well as of this morning, the town of Brownsville has been downrated from Level 1 to nothing at all, and Crawfordsville & Holley have been moved from Level 3 (“Go Now”) to Level 2 (“Be ready to leave any time”), so that’s some progress. :)

Lots of fog this morning, too (not just smoke)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.