StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
13,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Did any of you catch the Museum show (I think it was about the Smithsonian) that talked about the Harley Mystique?

I was downstairs doing something on the basement computer when my wife came down telling me about the show. We like bike stuff so flipped to the channel but I missed the first part of it. Later in the evening the show was run again and when I started to watch it I had to laugh. The opening scene is the camera pointing out from a garage and sitting outside the garage is a rider on a V-Strom!!!

Anyone from here?

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

Did any of you catch the Museum show (I think it was about the Smithsonian) that talked about the Harley Mystique?

I was downstairs doing something on the basement computer when my wife came down telling me about the show. We like bike stuff so flipped to the channel but I missed the first part of it. Later in the evening the show was run again and when I started to watch it I had to laugh. The opening scene is the camera pointing out from a garage and sitting outside the garage is a rider on a V-Strom!!!

Anyone from here?

..Tom

Smithsonian?

It would have to be Greywolf.

·
Administrator
13,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
236 Posts
Seen the show a couple of days ago! The Main dewd was defiitely riding a V-Strom! Very weak show on this "Harley Mystique"! :thumbdown:They spoke of Harleys in the desert during WW2 but did not mention they performed so poorly they had to take a captured BMW and copy it-opposed cylenders and all, and actually built about 250 of them, but by the time they were shipped over, the desert campagn was over!:headbang: Showed a bunch of people dressed like gay pirates and riding 900lb "bikes" as if that was supposed to be cool or something. They should have focused more on the V-Strom!:hurray:

·
Registered
300 Posts
and Harley just figured out watercooling!! what prehistoric part will be up for futuristic redesign next?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
and Harley just figured out watercooling!! what prehistoric part will be up for futuristic redesign next?
Actually they knew about it a long time ago but didn't change so people on the internet could have something to bitch and moan about.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Actually they knew about it a long time ago but didn't change so people on the internet could have something to bitch and moan about.
I have never understood the race to jump into any post/comment mentioning Harley Davidson and begin bashing the brand.

Don't like them?-fine, don't own one. What is gained by bashing HD?

I think it is some kind of penis envy thing.

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
I have never understood the race to jump into any post/comment mentioning Harley Davidson and begin bashing the brand.

Don't like them?-fine, don't own one. What is gained by bashing HD?

I think it is some kind of penis envy thing.
Nope.....just that allot of the owners are tools, the bikes are quite good.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Seen the show a couple of days ago! The Main dewd was defiitely riding a V-Strom! Very weak show on this "Harley Mystique"! :thumbdown:They spoke of Harleys in the desert during WW2 but did not mention they performed so poorly they had to take a captured BMW and copy it-opposed cylenders and all, and actually built about 250 of them, but by the time they were shipped over, the desert campagn was over!:headbang: Showed a bunch of people dressed like gay pirates and riding 900lb "bikes" as if that was supposed to be cool or something. They should have focused more on the V-Strom!:hurray:
You are somewhat correct. A captured BMW was reversed engineered by HD to goverment specs and 1000 were produced. Due to the increased popularity and versatility of the Jeep, the project was scrapped and the units housed. BMW was not the inventor of the shaft drive or an opposed cylinder motorcycle, but it was the first to mass produce them. Unfortunately, the early BMW shaft drives proved as problematic in war time sand conditions as chain drives. Both the war HD V twins and BMW models have been praised for their ease of field maintenance and repairs by the veterans that rode them

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Just so that we are clear I didn't start this thread to bash Harley's.

..Tom
Don't sweat it, V-tom. I've learned that the merest mention of the intials "HD" in here is, for some, like meat to a hungry badger. They'll pick this scab for 10 or 15 pages until the thread peters out, then it'll start up somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
You know I think exactly that about a few people on here.:green_lol:
In fact I think that about a fair number of people who ride bikes of various models. Tools seem to know no brand boundaries.:yesnod:
Of course I don't name names because I'm already in trouble for that.:ihih:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Just so that we are clear I didn't start this thread to bash Harley's.

..Tom
Understood by most. As several of us here own both HDs and Stroms (and BMWs) we can appreciate the Strom appearance even more

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Of course I don't name names because I'm already in trouble for that.:ihih:
That's okay, I'll out myself.

BTW, I rode a Harley yesterday and I liked it.

I was not dressed like a gay pirate, though. I was dressed like a transgender alien astronaut, and none of the gay pirates would wave back at me.

I purchased Chinese food and ethanol-free 94 octane gasoline and short-shifted that big down low torque monkey to slightly above the speed limit and it brought me joy.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
where did you find ethanol free gas?
Citco Station on US64 in Horse Shoe NC (just west of Hendersonville) has 93 octane ethanol-free.

There are two Marathon stations with 90 octane ethanol-free in the area:

Mills River, NC at the intersection of NC280 and NC191.

On US64 between Brevard, NC and Rosman, NC.

I fill my wife's HD there (it requires 91 octane, min. and doesn't get ridden as much as my bike) and gas cans which I use for the mower and the bikes.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
1) No, they are not quite good. Unless good = shiny.
2) If we don't allow brand bashing, should brand praising be permitted?

I wish someone would explain in plain terms why it is OK to criticize our own Suzukis, as well as Hondas, Kawasakis, Triumphs, BMWs and every other brand, but any hint of negativity toward Harley-Davidson is met with a storm of protest and cries of "bashing."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts