StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They had a twenty buck sale on, so bought one for my L4, and spent the weekend just gone installing. Before I started, I made sure I thoroughly read the minimal) instructions, forum posts and Youtube videos. Still was a steep learning journey, and didn't quite get there. Couldn't get the initialisation flashing to work when piggybacking power from the USB power outlet wire, had to wire it back to my relay array by the batter, and ground to the frame, then got the flashing to confirm there was power and half the wiring in place (from the unit to the indicators). After much frigging around, wired up the connectors to take power from the indicator switch on the handlebars to the unit. Then was time to take the indicator switch apart and insert the little rubber pads to make the indicator lever auto return (and so not have to be pushed in to release). First time had gone in there, and sadly little bits went everywhere. Did my best to find them, but wasn't sure what was looking for (d'oh!!), so inserted the rubber pads underneath the little black block that the lever sits in and put it back togethere. Could see something was missing as the lever moved around a lot. Had no idea what to do, but five minutes later, spotted by chance the tiny missing part on the workshop floor (!!). Put it in and back on the bars, on with ignition and.....nothing. Rattled wires around a bit but still nothing. Backtracked to check all the wiring, and all as should be as far as I could see, and still nothing.

Was getting too stressed by then and needed a going bike, so made the executive decision to remove it and go back to standard. Frig around, frig around, frig around, and finally out of the workshop mid-afternoon Sunday - most of one weekend I'll never get back.....

I left the rubber pads in for the moment, which means have to keep thumb pressing the lever left or right to keep indicators on, but figure might be ok - will certainly make sure don't forget to leave them on. And the effort needed to push the lever to turn off the right hand indicator was a PITA so glad to be shot of that too.

I still have the unit, and maybe will try again another time, but only once some other kind and more successful L4 soul posts detailed instal instructions.

I did learn a lot about my wiring and switch operation, so sort of glad of that. But was still a major P-I-T-A. Others??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have one on order. Thanks for the initial impression(s). Looked at some videos regarding this unit. My thoughts on the small foam pads for the switch is to provide a return for the switch lever. I don't think this is needed for my Vee (2012) as the switch automatically returns to the centre. Hoping to get it this week so I can install it before I put the gas tank back on. Finding that a lot of connectors are under the tank. Cheers

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I had that on my 800ST BMW. it sucked the bag. It would time out and I was frequently having to reapply the switch to keep the blinker going.
Another BMW had an annoying beeper that sounded when the lights flashed.
the BMW's had a odd 3 switch system that was aggravating at best too.
I found that the Wee system works just fine and I have taught myself to hit the turn switch when using it. The little flashing light works as a reminder but more often i just press the switch for cancel frequently..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rednaxs60, a 'review' video I watched on YouTube made a couple of points worth keeping in mind:

- if gonna use their bullet point connectors, then you need an actual proper crimping tool, not a pair of pliers if you want them to stay on
- if using them, you end up with a wad of connector thingies to have to make space for behind the radiator - the reviewer recommended soldering the wires to each other directly for security and space saving...once you test that it works of course
- he found the rubber inserts in the switch block would squish down in short time, meaning (for those who have these switches), the indicator goes back to staying on until the lever's pushed in.....ie back to oem....
- he found gradual lane changes wouldn't be detected, so take care with those
- he did find it worked pretty well.....apart from the above....but was hoping to find some quality rubber that wouldn't collapse down, so he didn't have to replace them every month or so....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Have the requisite crimping tools and OEM style connectors as well. Have read about the issues some are having. Will be doing more reading before install. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts