StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve just completed a diy install of the Smart Brake System.
I think its a worthwhile safety farkle adding a feature to the existing tail light.
A way of signalling traffic behind me that I’m slowing down even if I have not touched the brakes.

The device works off an accelerometer.
You can set it to turn on the bright brake light upon deceleration or to flash.

The lil’ black box fit snugly under the bar which locks the seat.
Secured with two zip ties as pointed out by my needlenose pliers.
I chose this location because its a nice horizontal level support.
I tapped the three wires just near the white socket as shown on the top left corner of the pic.
In terms of diy degree of difficulty, I’ll give it a rating of 2cw.
That’s the number of cusswords I yelled out during install.

I paid retail and am not affiliated to the manuf or vendor.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Zook,

Thanks for the write up. In the market for some type of Taillight Modulator. This looks like a clean setup. Just mounting the box, and a few Posi Tapps under the seat.
Where did you purchase yours?
Thanks,
Stu

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
I considered their system before I built my own for about $15 . . . brake driven, no accelerometer. I wired in an LED flasher and a pair of inexpensive LED lights mounted on both sides of my license.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Brake-Stop-Light-Lamp-Flasher-Flash-Strobe-Controller-12V-24V-New-LSC-100B/400985186626?hash=item5d5c946142:g:dIQAAOSw~gRV4M45:sc:USPSFirstClass!90034!US!-1:rk:9:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triangle-Flash-LED-Lights-Motorcycle-ATV-Car-Rear-Tail-Light-Brake-Running-Red/222228181247?epid=5013914442&hash=item33bdd4f0ff:g:9C8AAOSw3uBZr60p:rk:1:pf:0

Sorry, no photos and I did have to cut out a plate to fit behind the license plate and stick out to hold the lights.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I heard about a Signal Dynamics box "back off brake light module" that does this same function, but understood that it tied directly into the speedometer feed and didn't rely on an accelerometer.

Not sure how universal it is across generations and models, but if someone is in the market it may be something for them to check out.

I think Adventuretech offers that model.

I didn't like the idea of constantly turning on my brake light in traffic so I didn't research it further.

I did see a sport bike in traffic the other day with a similar system. I have to admit that my first thought was why is this guy on his brakes so much... On-off, on-off, just settle down and cruise evenly... Then my second thought was, maybe his brake switch needs to be adjusted and it was just turning on from the road vibrations. It wasn't until several miles later that I remembered this type of brake module and figured he must be running something that turned on his brake light everytime he slowed down. His brake light was on and off continuously in a little boy that cried wolf sort of way. Hopefully they are adjustable, but that guy's was way too sensitive.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Kisan makes a module for brake lights, self cancelling signals and turns all turn signals into running lights. A p/o installed it on my '07 and I really liked the running light visibility. Sold that bike to my buddy so I left the Kisan on it for him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts