StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder if we will ever see a smaller V strom, something 100lbs lighter and 2-3 in lower with something like a 300-400 cc engine, it would be a dream for some.

Chet

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
474 lbs? my G650GS BMW is 430 on the public scale...before you add all the farkles
The Wee was 490-500 on the same scale before the farkles.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Anyone care to take a chance....

This one is a great unknown and we spent quite a bit of time checking it out. Priced at just $3495, the 2016 CSC RX3 Cyclone is a Chinese-made 250cc adventure bike. It has niceties such as fuel injection, electric start, engine guards, water-cooling and a six-speed transmission, side bags and a top case, and the built quality looks good. CSC tells us the bike has done Baja and the 10,000 kilometer Brest-Dushanbe Rally through the western Asia, so we look forward to testing one. Like everyone else, we wonder how bad/good can it be for that price!
If it's reliable might be an option for Australia for me.

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
any if you took your strom on the same single track it would be bashed as well.

It's not a single track bike - neither is the Strom .....

The video is bull ....it's not a use the bike is designed for ....nor is a Strom designed for that.

The harsher testing was left to yours truly and on my return from a trip across the pond I promptly repossessed the beast, slapped on a pair of Metzeler Karoos (aggressive dual-sport rubber) and spanked it silly on a Motorally dual-sport day. The conclusion? Not bad … except for some minor denting in the cast ally rims. Hmhh, I did ride it pretty hard – maybe that was as bad as they’d get?

Apparently not, as on a subsequent Motorally ride I managed to clip a rather large rock – and at a rather high rate of knots – peeling back the wheel rim like the lid of a sardine can.
http://canadamotoguide.com/2005/01/18/suzuki-v-strom-650-long-termer-racing/

and picking up a TT250 is hellishly easier than a Strom.

Want to do this?

get a DR

The TT250 is better for light single track like this.

I have 2 x TT250s in the garage ....what you got ???? bubka.

Read the info from the people that own them and ride them.....

CSC's Baja Trip 2016 - Page 4 - ChinaRiders Forums

It's a low cost entry bike for dual track and light single track like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzkR-Lnk-Co

Good sized fuel capacity, kick and electric and a variety of other nice features at the price point.

·
Vendor
5,071 Posts
Yes, Ducati did that with the monster once upon a time in the 90's I think. The replaced the rear piston and rod with a "waggle" to ensure acceptable engine balance. But on the V-Strom which jug makes most sense to eliminate. Think about it. They could do a double down tube frame with a real bash plate if they used the rear cylinder position with the front cylinder exhaust orientation on the head.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The DR650 makes a nice light weight alternative to the V-Strom. Dry weight is somewhere around 360 pounds, significantly lower seat height, much more manageable in the rough, and reliable.

However, I like this one.

I like this a lot.
Looks pretty retro - concept? Did it ever happen?

·
Registered
24 Posts
-> ...
Not that I know of. Reminds of the customizer versions of the Bolt Yamaha commissioned. Amazing what can be done with a cruiser.

Here is my favorite of the bunch. Yamaha Bolt Custom by Doc's Chops

That one actually turned into a production bike, the Yamaha 950 scrambler.
^ I'm glad you like it. But I didn't, I test rode the SCR950 and as miles piled on the more I want to get off it!!

==============================================

BT -> If Suzuki has the guts to bring it over and you have the patience to wait long enough:

DL250 / V-Strom 250 '17

V-Strom 250 coming

Morebikes.co.uk

·
Vendor
5,071 Posts
I just liked the design exercise and the outcome (looks). It shows how far you can take a bike with your own imagination, effort and a small amount of cash. Like this one. It used to be Virago.

and this

A whole lot less than spending $55,600 on a new Brough Superior or what ever a Vincent Black Shadow would run.

And from my point of view... way cooler too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts