StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever experience a small coolant leak from upper left corner of radiator? If so, how did u remedy? I was thinking of using a small amount of alumi-seal. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Radiator Leak ?

Stay away from Alumaseal, radiator shops can rapair without the worries of overheating you will get from the Alumaseal.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
If it's not the hose clamp (which it very well could be)...

I had a similar leak, and after determining it wasn't a loose hose or clamp, I had it fixed by Mylers -- they use welding/brazing, not epoxies. My total cost including return shipping was about $90. YMMV, of course.

Do NOT use epoxy or magic powders and elixirs. Get it fixed right.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Probably The hose clamp. I'd check mine every couple of months or when I'd get a whiff of coolant. Get a long skinny straight blade screwdriver and a flash light. No disassembly required.

Contrary to others posts, epoxy is a great way to fix a radiator. If its good enough for a race car, then it's good enough for my bike. I use to do QC in a custom racing radiator shop and never had a single issue repairing one this way.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I'll also add that my bike was dropped on the left side by a PO, and this tweaked the radiator, which ultimately caused a leak where one of the passages joined the left side tank.

I also had a loose clamp, and the hose was flattened out and stiff in that area. Further tightening didn't completely cure the leak, so I installed a new hose and clamp.

And that's when I found the pinhole leak...

In light of EC90T's comment, I'll amend my epoxy comment to say that epoxy works quite well when used properly -- good epoxy, proper curing conditions, surface prep, etc.

Come to think of it, even when used improperly, epoxy still works a goodly percentage of the time.

I chose to send my radiator to Mylers just to eliminate any possibility of needing to remove that furshlugginger radiator again... what a pain. If your radiator is leaking, your decision may well be different. :thumbup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Come to think of it, even when used improperly, epoxy still works a goodly percentage of the time.
Lord ain't that the truth. Sometimes it even adhears parts together you didn't want to. Becarful when working with epoxy and having to use the restroom:yikes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it's not the hose clamp (which it very well could be)...

I had a similar leak, and after determining it wasn't a loose hose or clamp, I had it fixed by Mylers -- they use welding/brazing, not epoxies. My total cost including return shipping was about $90. YMMV, of course.

Do NOT use epoxy or magic powders and elixirs. Get it fixed right.
+1 on Mylers. We don't need to send them work very often but it has always returned with great workmanship. We've used them since at least 1991.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My coolant issues were fixed with tightening the hose clamps and replacing the rad cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts