StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out riding to lunch yesterday and noticed the bike felt funny turning left. Parked and discovered this.

Rode back to the house (<.5 mile) and pulled the thing out. One of those pieces used in cheap furniture construction to add strength to a corner joint. I now have 4 little holes in my tire, 2 of which leak slowly

I sprayed some soapy water on the spot and I can see bubbles forming, very small, very slow. Tire pressure last night was 35, tire pressure this morning was still 35.

Dealer doesn't patch tires, too much of a liability. Local cycle shop that may patch tires closed for the next few days.

My options are:
patch the tire, acceptable on radials?
Put a bit of fix a flat in it
Replace the tire, expensive option I don't want to do unless really needed
Or just run it, safety issue?

It has 4K miles on it, any other options or solutions? Kinda bummed this happened, I ride the bike almost daily and am now stuck in my beater truck until I figure out what to do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Bummer, multiple holes. Make the patch more work.
You could just wait a few days for the repair shop to open and patch from the inside.
If you used the worms, you might need 2 or 3 or 4 to get all the openings.
At least you have 4K on the tires. They're half worn out already.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Get a product called RideOn. You can get it at a lot of bike/atv shops. Should fix your problem. Great stuff.
Web site is
Ride-on.com

Rod

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is this not a good enough reason for a bike upgrade? "Honey, I don't know what to do. I think this is a sign we need to trade it in for a ______"

Has it been three years?

lol. I've found I tend to have the three year itch with ALL my vehicles. If only they leased motorcycles....

Patch on the inside would be my vote.

Alexi

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
One of the few cases where the liquid sealers will do a magic job. Even the pushbike version will work just fine on that one.

Just warn whoever is doing your next tyre change, it can make a bit of a mess.

Pete

·
Registered
987 Posts
If this was my tire I'd put forty pounds of air in it, get soapy water on it and stick an icepick or an awl in each of the holes to see if all four went all the way through. When the tip of the icepick is in the hole you can see which of the others are leaking. Likely you'll find only one or maybe two holes that leak air. Then I'd use sticky worms installed in each leaky hole. (I am betting there will only be one hole losing air). Then check the tire pressure frequently after the repair to see if it is reliably holding air. Once you determine its reliable, ride it as before, maybe giving it more careful attention until its worn out. If your confidence in the tire never comes back you should just get another tire.
If I was around I'd take that old tire from you and probably use it. I have had many tire repairs and am a bit of a tire freak. I have had good luck on repaired tires, but I have the most confidence in sticky worms, not so much in inside patches or slime.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If this was my tire I'd put forty pounds of air in it, get soapy water on it and stick an icepick or an awl in each of the holes to see if all four went all the way through. When the tip of the icepick is in the hole you can see which of the others are leaking. Likely you'll find only one or maybe two holes that leak air. Then I'd use sticky worms installed in each leaky hole. (I am betting there will only be one hole losing air). Then check the tire pressure frequently after the repair to see if it is reliably holding air. Once you determine its reliable, ride it as before, maybe giving it more careful attention until its worn out. If your confidence in the tire never comes back you should just get another tire.
If I was around I'd take that old tire from you and probably use it. I have had many tire repairs and am a bit of a tire freak. I have had good luck on repaired tires, but I have the most confidence in sticky worms, not so much in inside patches or slime.
Seconded, although I've never used worms -- I've always used mushroom plugs. I got something like another 2-3K miles on my OEM Trailwing after plugging with the mushroom plug. It finally fell out, and I installed a second mushroom until my replacement tire arrived :)

My only concern in this case is that you've got four small holes in really tight proximity. Wouldn't that weaken that area of the tire, possibly leading to the chunk of tire between the holes coming loose at some point? Or will the belts hold the tire together so that it really isn't significantly weaker despite the holes?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i've never had a mushroom plug that worked. i had to replace the mushroom with the $5 sticky string from discount auto parts. like others have said, isolate which holes are leaking and plug them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: have not patched the tire. It loses 1 psi a week so I just add air every couple of weeks. Already put 250 miles on it. Going to order a bottle of the ride on stuff and use that eventually. Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts