StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to practice what the subject says, but as the season winds down each year I think I get too cocky and comfortable. I need to maintain the same vigilance as I try to do when I start to ride each year.

Today I went for a ride around Lake Winnipesaukee on my 2012 Vee. I decided to come back a way that I have never ridden before and it included driving on Winona Rd in Ashland and New Hampton. At one point the road turns under a railroad track and it has a stop sign there. The road does have a warning sign for the stop which I missed. It probably has a sign that says one lane, which I also missed, and the stop sign was completely invisible to me.

Lesson learned for me is to obey the speed limits on roads I am unfamiliar with and to pay attention to all the signs along the road.

I have a little video of my excursion. This is the second thing that has happened to me this year that makes me think that after 45+ years of riding I should consider ABS.

Missed Stop Sign - YouTube

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have a little video of my excursion. This is the second thing that has happened to me this year that makes me think that after 45+ years of riding I should consider ABS.
I don't want to open another yay or nay discussion, just want to reinforce what you said. Same length of experience here and after having it and not having it, I would not buy a bike without it.

That said, I may be done with riding, depending on how the knee replacement goes. 200 miles this year, 25k miles in 2008. I'm grouchy and I know why. :yesnod:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't want to open another yay or nay discussion, just want to reinforce what you said. Same length of experience here and after having it and not having it, I would not buy a bike without it.

That said, I may be done with riding, depending on how the knee replacement goes. 200 miles this year, 25k miles in 2008. I'm grouchy and I know why. :yesnod:
Time for a CanAm IMHO

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Plus, conditions change as seasons change. Some of my favorite local curves how have a lovely covering of wet leaves.

Yes on ABS--instead of skidding you'd have just felt a clicking under your brake lever or pedal. I inspected my brakes recently on my '07 650A. Testing on dry straight pavement, I pressed very hard on the brake pedal and felt a click or a click-click as the ABS kept the tire from skidding. Anybody near me want to buy that really nicely upgraded '07 650A so I have more room for my 1000A?

"after 45+ years of riding" Evaluate any medications you're taking. Statins are one group of meds known to contribute to fuzzy thinking. There are others. I'm trying an upgraded diet and no more statins. Lipid panel blood test tomorrow after six months--hope it's working.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-not-dementia-its-your-heart-medication/
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/health/fda-warns-of-cholesterol-drugs-side-effects.html

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Bruceadk: Amazing video. I had a nearly the same experience in Kentucky one evening, travelling too fast on a narrow paved farm road and took little notice that the road mileage signs were decreasing. Soon, I went around a corner, came to Zero and the road ended! Fortunately, there was a driveway that I slid and slithered along until I could get Big Red stopped (no abs). Without that driveway, it could have been ugly. Same lesson. Don't overdrive your visibility and watch the signs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Everything you said true for me as well. Getting scared is healthy until it's unhealthy... We both know where that could have ended. Thanks for giving me a good scare, and good ending.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fortunately I was extremely lucky. I can't believe I went from a peaceful casual ride to missing the stop sign ahead warning, and the single lane underpass warning.

The thing I like about ABS is that it would make it where I could just jump on the brakes and not have to spend time correcting if I lock the rear wheel. I am curious if the Vee 2 easily slips the rear wheel when braking hard just from the engine. The 2012 Vee can easily squeal the rear tire in 2nd and 3rd just from chopping the throttle (mine is geared down a little which probably aggravates this).

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
... The 2012 Vee can easily squeal the rear tire in 2nd and 3rd just from chopping the throttle (mine is geared down a little which probably aggravates this).
I saw you mention this on another thread. I'm wondering if you are rev matching when downshifting?

Apologies if you allready know this. If you give the throttle a little blip when you disengage the clutch you'll make downshifting smoother and won't get the tire chirp.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
... The 2012 Vee can easily squeal the rear tire in 2nd and 3rd just from chopping the throttle (mine is geared down a little which probably aggravates this).
I saw you mention this on another thread. I'm wondering if you are rev matching when downshifting?

Apologies if you allready know this. If you give the throttle a little blip when you disengage the clutch you'll make downshifting smoother and won't get the tire chirp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My V would engine brake hard with the 16/43 gear combo too but I never got the rear to chirp. Maybe something to do with the age or rubber compound of the tire? I do notice that the tourance is getting a little more slippery as it ages.

I wonder if there is a slipper clutch for the SV1000, and if there is, if it could be used on the DL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts