StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new wee. I think I may have a problem, but I went to a dealership and noticed the same problem on showroom wee, except a bit less. How to explain this: when holding the throttle, it moves back and forth (parallel to the handlebar) as if it is missing a spacer, and it rocks somewhat as if there is a significant difference between the throttle inner diameter and the handlebar outer diameter. The "slop" is not a lot - just enough to irritate me and perhaps impair precise throttle on bumpy roads.
Question: has anyone noticed this on their wee strom? This is my first post. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Typically you can adjust cable end play if you pull back the rubber boots on the cable at the throttle. I ami for about 1/16" of end play, if its any less, you wll feel "herky jerky" in the riugh stuff.
Oh, welcome aboard Paules.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the same issue, it didn't hurt anything, just annoyed me. What I did was to take a black plastic tye wrap, place it between the grip and the switch assembly. I tightened it just enough to take out the slop but not enough to inhibit the throttle from snapping back to idle. Cut of the "tail" when you get the right setting. Not noticeable at all & works like a charm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue, it didn't hurt anything, just annoyed me. What I did was to take a black plastic tye wrap, place it between the grip and the switch assembly. I tightened it just enough to take out the slop but not enough to inhibit the throttle from snapping back to idle. Cut of the "tail" when you get the right setting. Not noticeable at all & works like a charm.
I did a slight modification of your procedure. I have handguards and foam grip covers on my wee . I took a small nylon cable tie and placed it between the grip and the extra weight/spacer (came with the handguards) and tightened the cable tie somewhat. I cut the tail and recovered the gap/cable tie with the foam. Works great and the throttle returns without impediment. Thanks swingblade.

I figured that I could find some way to improve the fit (not as simple as yours), but wondered if this was a common manufacturing error. I have owned many bikes but never experienced so much slop. I called the dealer and he said that I was the first one to complain.

Very useful first experience with Stromtrooper

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 10 day old 2011 Wee. Same thing, slop in the throttle but not so bad that I can't deal with it. So nice to have good movement after dealing with a K1200 LT that had very poor throttle action.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You could open the throttle case assembly (containing the ends of the throttle cable) and add a shim to take up most of the excess space. Lube it well with dry graphite. The throttle tube rattling on the handle bars is something new...turn on your heated grips until it deforms----:jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The "bling" solution is a Kaoko throttle lock. I keep it adjusted just tight enough to eliminate that annoyance.

I'm not suggesting you should spend $100 on this issue, but if you do happen to pine for a throttle lock anyway, that one will take care of the slop problem very nicely at the same time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 10 day old 2011 Wee. Same thing, slop in the throttle but not so bad that I can't deal with it. So nice to have good movement after dealing with a K1200 LT that had very poor throttle action.
Another ex Beemer who has gone to the wee. I sold my heavy, powerful K1200RS and bought a KLR. Found that the engine was inadequate and now have a brand new wee; absolutely love it. Still going to BMW rallies and seeing more and more stroms. At least we will not have to deal with a possible rear end problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I made plastic spacers out of yogurt container lids and slid them between the throttle grip and the switch housing to remove the side to side slop. It has worked well for me though it might require attention/cleaning if used much off road.

The Kaoko throttle lock recommended by dtalk is the best solution, though I haven't ponied up the $$ yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts