StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I need a little better sound from my '05 Wee - stock exhaust is pretty wimpy and muffled. Not looking for real loud and obnoxious, but a slip-on that gives a little deeper tone and slightly more volume.

Any suggestions?

Robert K. (Dallas)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
ANY slip-on (except for Two Bros or D&D-potentially very loud) would be a huge improvement.

I have a Scorpion slip-on. I LOVE it. Not too loud and not annoying at all. But really nice tone...Wee sounds like it has a 90 degree v-twin now. Stock exhaust sound on the Wee was horribly boring.

See my post here:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/64925-scorpion-pipe-big-thumps-up.html
Is there any chance that you could record the sound coming out of the Scorpion using a decent quality microphone?
Most of the youtube videos I've seen have crappy sound.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The PO of my recently new to me Wee did a mod of some kind to my muffler and I want to go back to wimpy stock/quieter. If any of you fellers make a move and want to part with your stock pipe, I am in the market.

It actually isnt all that loud and sounds pretty good, but I am a quieter is better biker.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i also have the skorpion exhaust. it's a little more throaty than the stock, and has a little rumble to it, but it is, over all, pretty quiet. it does makes some music when you really lay on the throttle, though! i'll try to get some vid of it that doesn't sound awful after work.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
For the money and the ability to retain any skidplate you may eventually want, stick with a slip-on not a full system. I have a Leo Vince Full system which sounds nice but skid plate fitment is a major problem that requires custom work. The Scorpion is probably the least expensive. The Akra looks nice but I imagine it is 50% more expensive. 2007+ have different header I believe, which means that exhausts like Holeshot require you to mail in your header for modification if my memory is accurate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have nothing to record quality sound of my Scorpion unfortunately. I'd never heard one on a Wee before I bought mine. But I have the same slip-ons on my Blackbird, so I already knew they wouldn't be overly loud.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Scorpions though. Can't imagine wanting to go back to stock after having this pipe. Sounds like it was made for the Wee.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Is there any chance that you could record the sound coming out of the Scorpion using a decent quality microphone?
Most of the youtube videos I've seen have crappy sound.
Try searching You Tube. That way you can see them, hear em at idle, hear it revved. Just remember to sample as many videos as possible to get a feel. While your at it listen to a stock Wee on You Tube as a reference point. Some You tube posters even do a before (stock exhaust) and after in same video. From what I've heard with my own ears all twins get bassy with any pipe, compared to stock. The bassy sound on a down shift of any piped twin is satisfaction to my ears. The Wee is no exception.

My Leo Vince has no buzzing sound or annoying drone at steady highway, which can be irritating on some pipes. Everyone that rides behind me comments that my Wee sounds pretty badass. When riding trails and the back tire spins the sound changes from mellow to a mean animal sound even compared to the KTMs, DR650s, and KLRs that I sometimes ride with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recall seeing and hearing one with a Staintune setup. I don't recall if it was a slip-on or the full system.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I recall seeing and hearing one with a Staintune setup. I don't recall if it was a slip-on or the full system.
DL650 Scorpion exhaust:
YouTube - ‪Suzuki V-Strom DL650 Scorpion Carbon Fibre Exhaust‬‏

DL650 Remus exhaust (baffle in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbmMag38VCo&feature=related

I just checked Youtube and saw video clips for DL650 exhausts for: Scorpion carbon (see above link), Remus, Staintune, Devil, Arrow, stock, modified stock, and others. Simply go to you tube and type in key words: DL650 exhaust. This way you can also quickly and easily see the different shapes, finishes, sounds. You may notice that some exhausts like the Akra look a bit too long for the bike, whereas the Scorpion's length seems to fit better on this model. I like the Remus which I had on prior bike ... sounds mellow but deep and THE REMUS ALLOWS USE OF OEM EXHAUST SHIELD UNLIKE MOST EXHAUSTS. Dale Walker's Holeshot also has a nice website with good video clips and Dale actually shows dyno results for all exhausts (though PEAK hp gains on DL650 are minimal without other mods).

As noted in prior posting try to listen to more than one as quality of recordings varies significantly. Also beware that the DL1000 (dual exhausts) sound different and cost more. Also make sure that whatever you order fits your 2006 Wee without modification of header pipe.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Try searching You Tube. That way you can see them, hear em at idle, hear it revved. Just remember to sample as many videos as possible to get a feel. While your at it listen to a stock Wee on You Tube as a reference point. Some You tube posters even do a before (stock exhaust) and after in same video. From what I've heard with my own ears all twins get bassy with any pipe, compared to stock. The bassy sound on a down shift of any piped twin is satisfaction to my ears. The Wee is no exception.

My Leo Vince has no buzzing sound or annoying drone at steady highway, which can be irritating on some pipes. Everyone that rides behind me comments that my Wee sounds pretty badass. When riding trails and the back tire spins the sound changes from mellow to a mean animal sound even compared to the KTMs, DR650s, and KLRs that I sometimes ride with.
Thanks for your advice and review.
I have seen youtubes video - But I find their Audio quality lacking (which isn't surprising given the low quality camcorders that are used to record them).

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Thanks for your advice and review.
I have seen youtubes video - But I find their Audio quality lacking (which isn't surprising given the low quality camcorders that are used to record them).
Your welcome. Some are better than others. If you listen to a video of stock then video of after market exhaust, the contrast is still apparent. With your helmet on the sound quality is always less obnoxious. In an enclosed area exhausts also sound much deeper and louder than when outside.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I have nothing to record quality sound of my Scorpion unfortunately. I'd never heard one on a Wee before I bought mine. But I have the same slip-ons on my Blackbird, so I already knew they wouldn't be overly loud.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Scorpions though. Can't imagine wanting to go back to stock after having this pipe. Sounds like it was made for the Wee.
I found this youtube video - does it sound similar to your scorpion?
YouTube - ‪VStrom DL 650 with Scorpion Carbon Fiber Exhaust‬‏

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Yes, very similar. From that angle it's going to sound loudest (behind bike and to the side). I have an aluminum one...mine sounds maybe a little quieter but that could just be my imagination.
It sounds great! Like a v-2 should sound.

Does this mod impact?:
1. Fuel consumption
2. Power (HP) or Torque
3. Some engine sensors (I read somewhere that the stock exhaust has a sensor it)
4. Weight - What's the weight difference compared to stock?

Thanks. I like it a lot..just expensive $$$.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does this mod impact?:
1. Fuel consumption-Doubtful. I notice no difference but only rode one tank with stock muffler.
2. Power (HP) or Torque-Not that I can tell-again barely rode with stock muffler.
3. Some engine sensors (I read somewhere that the stock exhaust has a sensor it)-Don't know anything about this. Just that Wee runs perfect with the slip-on....oh yeah my bike already had a Power Commander on it from last owner so mechanic tweaked it a little with the pipe but doubt it's necessary to have PCIII for slip-on.
4. Weight - What's the weight difference compared to stock?-I don't know exactly but Scorpion is at least 5-10lbs lighter or so by my estimation..

Thanks. I like it a lot..just expensive $$$.-I paid $199 for my aluminum one new. I would have paid double that though. I can't remember where I got it from online either.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Does this mod impact?:
1. Fuel consumption-Doubtful. I notice no difference but only rode one tank with stock muffler.
2. Power (HP) or Torque-Not that I can tell-again barely rode with stock muffler.
3. Some engine sensors (I read somewhere that the stock exhaust has a sensor it)-Don't know anything about this. Just that Wee runs perfect with the slip-on....oh yeah my bike already had a Power Commander on it from last owner so mechanic tweaked it a little with the pipe but doubt it's necessary to have PCIII for slip-on.
4. Weight - What's the weight difference compared to stock?-I don't know exactly but Scorpion is at least 5-10lbs lighter or so by my estimation..

Thanks. I like it a lot..just expensive $$$.-I paid $199 for my aluminum one new. I would have paid double that though. I can't remember where I got it from online either.
Thanks for the info!
I called the us distributer: tawperformance and talked to a very friendly person there.
He claims 15 lbs difference (makes sense - the stock sounds bad because of noise and pollution regulations), addition of 4 HP, no re-tuning of engine, and a hefty $400 price.

Also the stainless steel is not the best option for 2-up as there is no heat protection. He recommend the more expensive fiber as it doesn't heat up - I don't want my passenger (son,wife) to get a nasty burn.

But I'm interested - Could you please tell me where you got it for $200?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the info!
I called the us distributer: tawperformance and talked to a very friendly person there.
He claims 15 lbs difference (makes sense - the stock sounds bad because of noise and pollution regulations), addition of 4 HP, no re-tuning of engine, and a hefty $400 price.

Also the stainless steel is not the best option for 2-up as there is no heat protection. He recommend the more expensive fiber as it doesn't heat up - I don't want my passenger (son,wife) to get a nasty burn.

But I'm interested - Could you please tell me where you got it for $200?
Jazzmotorsports.com
The stainless is still listed there for $199 (for '04-06). I never take passengers so heat not an issue. Best bet is to call them and see what they have left in stock for the DL650. That's what I did.
Suzuki Slip On Exhaust - SUZUKI DL650 04-06 STAINLESS STEEL SLIP ON Jazz Motorsports

1 - 20 of 27 Posts