StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm reading up about tire kits to handle emergencies when on the road.

Seems like my choices are either plugs or slime, and, if I properly understand, should not be used together. Is one easier/better than the other?

I'm also concerned that I seem to have come across a post stating the the Metzeler Tourance tires dont take kindly to plugs?

any truth to this?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Two for Two

I have used plugs in two front Tourance tires. The first was in 2007, my first experience with plugs. That plug was installed by a keen stranger in Bay Roberts Newfoundland, and the only trouble I had with that plug was getting the fellow to accept a fee for installing it. The same day, it took me 200 miles, and lost no air. In the next few days, it went all the way to Toronto with me, a total of about 2700 kilometers.

A couple of years later, I installed a plug myself, again in a front tire, a Metzeler Tourance. The tire was almost new, and I ran the plug until the tire wore (almost) out. I had no trouble with this plug either. I can't quite bring myself to discard this worn tire, because you never know when a usable spare tire will be just what you want.

So count me a fan of Tourances and of plugs. The plug-it kit came from Harbor Freight, and I think there are some folks in your province with very similar kits.

Keith

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Correct don't use slime and plugs. Ride-On that is like Slime works. I use it and have plugged a Ride-On and Tourance tire . The Ride-On stuff should make a permenent seal but, when I got home I still plugged it . I have switched to the string type, these days as well in my kit. Less hassles I think.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
RideOn left me stranded (http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/35027-ride-%3D-fail-story-flat-tire.html), but plugging when I got home was no problem. Now I use Ultraseal, and to my knowledge have not had a chance to test it (or have I?). I have mushroom plugs, but even the source site suggests against their use as permanent plugs on steel-belted radials (Stop and Go International - Tire Repair and Inflation Products). I plugged a friends non-radial tire with one the other day, and it is holding quite well. If I had to re-buy, folks seem to really like the Nealey kits (Nealey Tire Repair Kit).

PS: An added advantage of Ultraseal (or similar) is perfect tire balance without weights - that has been my experience.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
LordSmoke, does UltraSeal look like Ride-on when you take the tire off ( A big white oatmeal like goo pile)? I just swapped tires and yuck! Washes out and off the rim easy enough though. Maybe I will give it a try.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I like the plain black gummy plugs you can get anywhere ... Don't like tourance tires, although I did plug a rear one and ride it another 4K miles till it was bald ... Don't like the gooey stuff.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
LordSmoke, does UltraSeal look like Ride-on when you take the tire off ( A big white oatmeal like goo pile)? I just swapped tires and yuck! Washes out and off the rim easy enough though.
I've changed over a dozen tires using Ride-On and have never gotten any on the wheel. A tool would have to touch the carcass under the tread to get to the Ride-On.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GW: should I assume you prefer ride-on over using plugs/repair kits?

I've changed over a dozen tires using Ride-On and have never gotten any on the wheel. A tool would have to touch the carcass under the tread to get to the Ride-On.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Hmm... Maybe it is because I didn't change the tires right away ? They were in the garage for a couple days , as I was doing forks.

·
38,104 Posts
GW: should I assume you prefer ride-on over using plugs/repair kits?
I use Ride-On primarily as a balancer. I carry a compressor and a gummy worm with rubber cement kit too. Ride-On must work as a puncture avoider too as I've done close to 74,000 miles without a puncture.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
LordSmoke, does UltraSeal look like Ride-on when you take the tire off ( A big white oatmeal like goo pile)? I just swapped tires and yuck! Washes out and off the rim easy enough though. Maybe I will give it a try.
Haven't changed tires since I started using it, but the RideOn was no problem. It was just spread all around the inside of the tire tread area. The Ultraseal is a thick blue liquid.

I use Ultraseal as a prophylactic, and keep plugs (and air compressor) as a treatment, just in case.

·
38,104 Posts
After years of using Ride-On on many tires, I have yet to have gotten any on the wheel. It all stays in the tire opposite the tread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took my worn rear tire off to have a new tire mounted and decided to try out the "plug and go" kit that I've been carrying around the past 3 years. I used a 1/8 in. drill bit and drilled a hole. The musroom plug worked great but the one thing I learned is you really have to ream out the hole prior to getting the plug in. You need to get the hole big enough to except the reamer tool provided without much resistance, otherwise you'll never get the plug in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts