StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was down at my dealer for service and saw the Gladius. I have been interested because it has a similar V engine. The first thing I noticed that it has no oil cooler. As I recall, the SV did have an oil cooler. So what's up? The Gladius puts out a few more HP and presumably expects to be ridden a little faster. Does this suggest that Suzuki might do away with oil coolers on future DLs?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I was down at my dealer for service and saw the Gladius. I have been interested because it has a similar V engine. The first thing I noticed that it has no oil cooler. As I recall, the SV did have an oil cooler. So what's up? The Gladius puts out a few more HP and presumably expects to be ridden a little faster. Does this suggest that Suzuki might do away with oil coolers on future DLs?
It's probably just behind the oil filter like my Bandit 1250 and Yamaha FZ6 I used to own. So the oil filter screws onto the round oil cooler...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Exactly. The heat exchanger is between the oil filter and the engine. Hoses from the bike's liquid cooling system feed and return from the exchanger.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
The first gen ('99-'02) SV650 had no oil cooler, and never seemed to suffer for it. We just did a 6 hour endurance race 2 weeks ago on my '99 in 105° temps, the bike did not run hot at all. Never quite understood why Suzuki put them on the second gen SV and 650 V-Strom. ???

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
gladius

the reason suzuki went with the watercooled oil cooler on the gladius was so the funky styled exhaust would fit and be shown better. the internal engine changes were made because the airbox is small , so changes were needed to keep the power . the enginers wanted to raise the tank for a bigger airbox but the design team would not allow it . another change is a smaller radiator but with a bigger fan . if you go to the gladius web site there are interviews with suzuki team that made the gladius .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. They also should have put a bigger gas tank. 14 Litres is a joke.

At least, I guess they aren't going to mess around with the V-Strom. Tried and true.

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
I hope that they put that oil cooler on the Stroms!

Not only is it more efficient than an air-based system and less susceptible to damage, it has the benefit of helping the oil get up to operating temperature much quicker.

..Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts