StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
last couple of rides I noticed a wobble in the fornt , this happens If I take my hands of the handle bar the front, it will wobble a bit, nothing scary, this happens under 60mph, it stops by just placing a finger on the handlebar
my tire pressure is 33 psi
the rear tire is stating to have a flat center
I have not checked wheel alignment

Is this normal on vstroms ?
Should I try to correct it?

I also had it on the previou moorcycle, but it went away once I rectified the tire pressures

Thanks for your comments

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Two causes. Worn front tires and/or worn out rear shock. Some tires are much more prone to it then others.

How many miles on bike?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vstrom 2019 xt
8000kms, about 5000 miles
stock tires
top case givi
givi air flow wind screen
givi crash bars

I ride alone
rear preload adjusted to sag about 30% of travel with me on the bike

wobble is not present above 60mph
wobble can not be felt or seen if I'm holding the handle bars even with the lightest touch

33psi front 36 psi rear is what the label says on chain guard, I can easily try increasing the pressure

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Try riding without the Topcase. My Vstroms liked to hunt a bit at speed, so did the CBF1000
My CB500X is crazy stable at speed. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
No matter what I adjusted/checked/tried.....nothing resolved my steering wobble until I replaced my stem bearings with tapered bearings, not saying that is your issue however.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Here are some Dave Moss suspension tuning tips. The man is really good!!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tire pressure seems low. I run 38/ 42 f/ r.

You need to give more details about your ride to get better feedback.

Also consider checking the head bearings. They are often loose and that can cause all sorts of effects.
10-4 on the steering stem bearings. Loose or worn, they will only get worse.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
10-4 on the steering head bearings. Loose or worn bearings would be my first inspection. and if they are worn (pits, dry, rust) the rear shock is likely shot as well if it is the original.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, my take is that it is a NEW bike - 2019 - with 8000 kms (5000 miles). For my mind that should rule out any issues with the steering stem bearings, forks and shock - or anything else mechanical. Yes, on an older higher mileage bike steering stem bearings and suspension are the second place to look - tires are always first.

Mileage indicates the tires should be half worn out or a bit more. There certainly could be cupping and, yes, some tires age more gracefully than others. The Pilot Road Trail on the front of mine was already cupping at about 5000 kms and it was always at the correct air pressure.

Also, I ALWAYS run the maximum recommended pressure on the back (like for two up or fully loaded). Front pressure is usually the same spec regardless of load. Some replacement tires may specify lower pressures like my new Shinko 804/805 (33 psi maximum - lower than Suzuki says). I use the tire makers recommendation.

At tire half life I'd just ride it and keep my hands on the bars. Then, when I felt I got my moneys worth from them, I'd replace them with a set that are well regarded by members here. That choice will depend on the sort of riding you do and your budget. Factories spend as little as possible on OEM tires. Most anything you choose will likely be better.

If tires don't correct it, then redo the steering stem bearing torque.

Is it still under warranty? If yes, maybe the dealer should check the torque of the steering stem bearings anyway. They can sometimes free up a bit with use. But I still think it's tires.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hello,
last couple of rides I noticed a wobble in the fornt , this happens If I take my hands of the handle bar the front, it will wobble a bit, nothing scary, this happens under 60mph, it stops by just placing a finger on the handlebar
my tire pressure is 33 psi
the rear tire is stating to have a flat center
I have not checked wheel alignment

Is this normal on vstroms ?
Should I try to correct it?

I also had it on the previou moorcycle, but it went away once I rectified the tire pressures

Thanks for your comments
Check wheel trueness. Even one spoke too loose or tight can result in a slight warp of the rim and eventually start cupping the tire possibly even cause or contribute to the wobble.
I'd still have the steering stem bearings inspected for proper adjustment, missing washer(s). The bike started out knocked down in a crate, a part could've gone missing or the torque spec for some other bike or year used for the steering stem.
Fork alignment? check the relationship between the upper bracket #4 and the lower bracket/stem #1. Suzuki Motorcycle 2019 OEM Parts Diagram for Steering Stem | Partzilla.com Just a guess, but a slight tweak might cause binding of the forks, resulting in improper torque to be applied to the steering stem.

·
Registered
400 Posts
With the front wheel off the ground the front end should have a noticable slight drag. It should not flop freely from side to side.
I have had more than one bike that wanted to shake the bars on deceleration if your hands were loose on the bars. I could not get rid of the shake. Kept at least one hand on the handlebars and rode all over the place.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Well, my take is that it is a NEW bike - 2019 - with 8000 kms (5000 miles). For my mind that should rule out any issues with the steering stem bearings, forks and shock - or anything else mechanical. Yes, on an older higher mileage bike steering stem bearings and suspension are the second place to look - tires are always first.

Mileage indicates the tires should be half worn out or a bit more. There certainly could be cupping and, yes, some tires age more gracefully than others. The Pilot Road Trail on the front of mine was already cupping at about 5000 kms and it was always at the correct air pressure.

Also, I ALWAYS run the maximum recommended pressure on the back (like for two up or fully loaded). Front pressure is usually the same spec regardless of load. Some replacement tires may specify lower pressures like my new Shinko 804/805 (33 psi maximum - lower than Suzuki says). I use the tire makers recommendation.

At tire half life I'd just ride it and keep my hands on the bars. Then, when I felt I got my moneys worth from them, I'd replace them with a set that are well regarded by members here. That choice will depend on the sort of riding you do and your budget. Factories spend as little as possible on OEM tires. Most anything you choose will likely be better.

If tires don't correct it, then redo the steering stem bearing torque.

Is it still under warranty? If yes, maybe the dealer should check the torque of the steering stem bearings anyway. They can sometimes free up a bit with use. But I still think it's tires.

Cheers,
Glenn
Mine caused issues from early on in ownership of a new bike, wobble was somewhat better after proper adjustment of them, but still there none the less. This was after several sets of tires, proper sag set, and made little difference with bags or top case on or not. I agree the OP needs to ensure the easy stuff of what has been mentioned is checked first, but brand new doesn't always mean free from issues as we all know. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the comments, this is a rely helpful community !

I'll check the tires, tire pressure, tire trueness, fork, drag on the steering and report if I find anything

·
Vendor
4,669 Posts
Are you sure this is a new phenomenon, or can it have been there all along and you are just noticing it. As you can tell from the advice above, some problems develop (e.g., tire cupping) and some problems are systemic (e.g., ball bearing vs conical bearings).

There was a guy at the Dakota Gathering many years ago who complained of a similar problem. He was at his wit's end and ready to sell the bike. However, at the gathering he tried a fork brace and it completely eliminated the problem and he kept the bike.

I seem to remember my 2005 DL650 having the characteristic you describe before adding a fork brace. Fork braces became one of the first upgrades many strommers did for very good reasons.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
All the posts above have pertinent info.

I would add one caveat. The strom uses a steep steering head angle. This chassis design geometry choice by Suzuki makes the bike turn with less handlebar effort, but also be somewhat twitchy. So, any issues with front to rear suspension balance or the front end will be much more noticeable than other bikes with slack steering angle (like the Africa Twin and Tenere).

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
My wee had a wobble on deceleration, I spent many hours trying to solve it including head bearings & the final fix was 38psi in the front.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts