StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only got a few miles on my new '18 1k, and notice that when in neutral there seems to be a (tiny) bit of a rattling type noise, seemingly from the clutch area. I know some of these bikes have had issues with the clutch basket, but thought it also might be to do with the slipper? Or perhaps it's just a trademark of the big Strom, something they do but isn't anything to worry about...? Can anyone shed some light?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've only got a few miles on my new '18 1k, and notice that when in neutral there seems to be a (tiny) bit of a rattling type noise, seemingly from the clutch area. I know some of these bikes have had issues with the clutch basket, but thought it also might be to do with the slipper? Or perhaps it's just a trademark of the big Strom, something they do but isn't anything to worry about...? Can anyone shed some light?
I also have a newish 18' 1k......mine does the same thing. gets better when the clutch is pulled in. Someone else more knowledgeable then myself will chime in , but basically its just the nature of these bikes. Had any intake pops yet?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear. Nothing else out of the ordinary, but my bike has a whopping 16 miles on it as of now. Picked it up Saturday and have been too busy with work and some guests to do any riding. My trusty old '04 650 is doing commuting duty still, since my 2 mile commute doesn't do a motor any favors, especially a brand new one still being broken in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's good to hear. Nothing else out of the ordinary, but my bike has a whopping 16 miles on it as of now. Picked it up Saturday and have been too busy with work and some guests to do any riding. My trusty old '04 650 is doing commuting duty still, since my 2 mile commute doesn't do a motor any favors, especially a brand new one still being broken in.
Ya breaking in is never any fun, they just feel tight. they get better and better as the miles go on. ive got about 850 miles on mine now and shes really starting to loosen up.

this motor definitely makes noises. I was obsessing about it for a little while, but just understanding its the nature of the beast helps.

they do eat clutch baskets but that shouldn't be until about 20-30 k miles....its a slow onset so you might not notice for awhile. the werks basket mod is the solution when the time comes.

avoid low rpm high load scenarios... that will prolong the basket.

I did the first oil change at 550 miles. there was some very fine metal particulate on the drain bolt magnet from break in. If your mechanically inclined do the first service yourself. the $250 first service ( I mean oil change) is a rip....unless your loaded.

get the suzuki pit box oil change kit...comes with OEM filter, oil , crush washer and gloves.....cant beat it for the price.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm the kind of person who never lets ANYONE work on his cars/bikes... that said, I was told by the salesperson that the first service (600 mile) MUST be done by a dealership, or else my standard 12 month warranty would be voided.

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
As Big B said, that it total hogwash. The service manager at the place I bought mine tried the same rhetoric. It's fear tactics to pay for the wife's new BMW, and frankly should be illegal. I called Suzuki themselves on the subject. As long as you do everything as per Suzukis maintenance schedule, AND document everything you do your fine, and it will not effect the warranty.

I jot down detailed logs with time stamps , mileage and many checks. Doing your own maintenance does not void your warranty. See the Magnuson Moss warranty act.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Back to the OP. It's likely the very beginning of "idle hammer". Many threads about it here. "They all do it" to a lesser or larger degree. Wait until after the first oil change and then report back if the noise has intensified.

NOTE: Its totally harmless all be it, it can be annoying. Just don't idle it any more than necessary, so you don't hear it any more than necessary ;-)

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,256 Posts
If it is a rattly noise, sort of metallic in nature, that is normal. While this sound does seem more obvious from the clutch side of the engine, it might have little or nothing to do with the engine. When you pull in the clutch lever it slows down or stops all the gears and bearings in the transmission and the inner hub parts of the clutch. So naturally there will be less noise. The clutch basket actually does NOT slow down when you do this. Even with a modified basket, the engine will always sound quieter when you pull in the clutch lever. Simply mechanical noise that is normal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm glad it's nothing to worry about, but having never owned a new bike (or car) before I want to err on the side of caution. I'm very happy with the power delivery and engine characteristics of the new Strom so far, and can't wait for it to really settle in over the next few thousand miles.

As for dealership maintenance, I looked into the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (MUCH appreciated!) and can only find verbiage about specific maintenance schedules/technicians from 3rd party reporters. I'm having trouble finding the actual legal document. Anybody have a link? I'd love to have a read through the legal gibberish. I contacted the salesperson (who was very kind, but not terribly knowledgeable unfortunately) and will see what she says.

Again, all the help is much appreciated. That's why I love this forum... Even though I haven't been terribly active here the last few years, because my '04 650 hasn't done anything besides get me where I'm going with a big sh** eating grin!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Your idle hammer will start after the first oil change and you'll be asking "what's that knocking noise at idle".

Three options:

1. Plug your ears with music and it disappears.

2. Order Terry's idle hammer kit (I haven't installed mine yet, but it's on the list for next week).

3. Do both #1 and #2 :grin2:

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Normal

Ignore it

Along with all the other horrible sounds the engine makes

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. If it's not a sign of problems to come, I won't worry about it and chalk it up to "character", but I've bookmarked the idle hammer kit just in case.

Meef, what other terrible noises should I know about before I notice them and start worrying?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Just wear earplugs and ride it. You are way overthinking the "problems". There was an early DL1000 with over 400k on the original engine. So you have ways to go until you need to worry about the engine noises.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My '04 650 has about 65k and still rides as well as the day I bought it, 7-ish years ago. I know these things are very reliable workhorses, which is why I bought the '18. But having never owned a brand new bike, I find myself being a hair more cautious, especially now, during break-in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '04 650 has about 65k and still rides as well as the day I bought it, 7-ish years ago. I know these things are very reliable workhorses, which is why I bought the '18. But having never owned a brand new bike, I find myself being a hair more cautious, especially now, during break-in.

dont worry , they already revved the bag off it on the test stand in the factory.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Thanks guys. If it's not a sign of problems to come, I won't worry about it and chalk it up to "character", but I've bookmarked the idle hammer kit just in case.

Meef, what other terrible noises should I know about before I notice them and start worrying?
All of them!

The worst is the ticking from the top end. That can be a mind fark! Just remember the engine is derived from the TL1000 engine... which stands for Ticks Loudly.

Earplugs for sure to maintain sanity. Otherwise you'll play the "what is that, can I replicate it" game at every stoplight.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had an '03 TLR for a few years... That was the primary reason I bought my first Strom, I loved that engine! Moved from the TLR to a 650 Strom and now a 1k. Suzuki makes a great, reliable L twin. I never noticed the ticking on my TL though. My exhaust was so loud I couldn't hear a damn thing!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I had an '03 TLR for a few years... That was the primary reason I bought my first Strom, I loved that engine! Moved from the TLR to a 650 Strom and now a 1k. Suzuki makes a great, reliable L twin. I never noticed the ticking on my TL though. My exhaust was so loud I couldn't hear a damn thing!
650 to 1000 is a hell of a difference in noise. I have a few hundred thousand miles on 650s before getting my 1000 a year ago. The 650 was very quiet, by comparison... if you came off a long time 650 and got on a 1000 you'd definitely think there was something loose in the engine!

·
Registered
325 Posts
The basic engine has been around since 2014. If it were catastrophic, someone of his forum would have posted by now. Mine does it, and I just ignore it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts