StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't do any off-road riding, can sliders be a good alternative to crash bars?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yea to a certain degree... At parking lot speeds sliders are fine... I have seem them get ripped off a bike on several occasians at 30+mph. Crash bars I dont know much about but they seem like they would fair better at higher speeds. I would just go with the crash bars IMO. They look cool and also serve as a farkle mounting point (extra running or fog lights and highway pegs)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, Thanks. I guess I'll go with Hepco&Becker, 'cause they get the best reviews here in terms of lack of vibration.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2009 came from the PO with very nice crash bars. But I couldn't get into the look, and didn't care for the weight either. I replaced them with Blair's sliders from SVRacing. I'm happy with the change. The key is to never use the bars or the sliders!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another practical thing about the crash bars is that you can use highway pegs with them which is kinda useful on a long ride IMHO.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I low sided at 20mph with sliders and the old SW-Motech Crash bars. The crash bar had a barely visible paint scuff about the size of a pinky fingernail tip. The slider puck, hand guard and mirror had to be replaced. I use the sliders as highway pegs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greywolf, do you think your crash bars remained almost intact 'cause the sliders hit the ground first and absorbed the initial slide?

·
38,048 Posts
Greywolf, do you think your crash bars remained almost intact 'cause the sliders hit the ground first and absorbed the initial slide?
I'm sure of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I low sided at 20mph with sliders and the old SW-Motech Crash bars. The crash bar had a barely visible paint scuff about the size of a pinky fingernail tip. The slider puck, hand guard and mirror had to be replaced. I use the sliders as highway pegs.
Yup, me too. You can hook your calf over the sliders for a change in position at a third of the price.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yup, me too. You can hook your calf over the sliders for a change in position at a third of the price.
I guess it depends on the length of your legs. My inseam is 34" and resting my calves on the sliders without supporting my feet is not comfy at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Either is a must! My son dropped my 2012, with a whole 172 miles on the clock, at about 20 mph. Lots of damage, which I can not fix as yet because Suzuki dealers do not have the 2012 info on their computer system as of this week. They say an update is coming next week...
Anyway, from my previous experience, about $1200 to $1500 worth of damage and all cosmetic which would have been avoided with either crash bars or sliders. I personally like the sliders as the crash bars look, well, like bars.
Bottom line, buy either one and save yourself some money and the feeling of owning a brand new bike that has been wrecked. (that feeling sucks)

·
38,048 Posts
I put my feet on the sliders. they hurt my calves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts