StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to put LongRun to bed. Yes, I've named it. As I feel I may have a very long run with this bike. So Long may you Run.
Anyhoo, miserable cold rain here now. Results of that Mex Hurricane, I'm sure. Ins. runs out tomorrow so she is done.
Since I still don't have a shop manual my question is; what is the procedure for removing the battery? I did pull it last year but only after fiddle:|:|:|:|ing with all that covers it up. A wee but of a grunt. The cover over it being stuck under the rear cross piece is the most fun. Correct procedure anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was just lamenting having to go through the same frustrating process this weekend. Last week I completed the oil change, cleaned and lubed my chain, added Seafoam to the fuel tank, but avoided the pain-in-the-nads task of pulling the battery. This weekend will see that task done, but like you, as I recall it was a bit of a fuster cluck last year.

*sigh*

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Why not just get a battery tender. Even if you pull the battery, it still needs to be kept charged.

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Wow! I thought in BC you rode all year? I mean it doesn't actually get cold there and the rare time it snows doesn't it all melt in a day or two?

I second battery tender. No reason to take battery out.

..Tom

·
Registered
391 Posts
+1 on the battery tender. I add Stabl to the tank, run the engine a bit and that's about it. I do ride all year but in the past that's worked for me.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tender wont work where I live. Means running an extension cord over a public walkway to a carport. So, back to my original question please.

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
I'm not looking under my seat this second but iirc you have to push down on the tab that is on the cover behind the battery to release that cover. It isn't hard... you just have to push down (or pull up) to unlatch it. When you put it back in. Spring you can run something under it.. A strap or lace or similar to help you pull it out end of season.

After you do get it out and in your home a battery tender is a good idea ( and I'm sure you know this make sure it's in a safe, vented space.)

..Tom

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I was just lamenting having to go through the same frustrating process this weekend. Last week I completed the oil change, cleaned and lubed my chain, added Seafoam to the fuel tank, but avoided the pain-in-the-nads task of pulling the battery. This weekend will see that task done, but like you, as I recall it was a bit of a fuster cluck last year.

*sigh*
so soon? still lots of great riding left!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Indirect answer: You only need to pull off the positive lead or perhaps just the negative lead and it's the same as removing the battery without all the fuss. It will be good for months that way if the battery is good. Mine sits in the garage for months without doing anything and fires right up.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My batteries do go on to tenders. The outdoors here can get to 20 below so they come inside. Altho it's the OEM I would not mind another year out of it. Letting it sit does not help longevity.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so soon? still lots of great riding left!
Don't know what's goin on in Kingston, bud, but here right now I am looking out at a continuation of the deluge caused by that Mex hurricane. And, man, is it cold and wet!
And, SJ, if udid the job,please let me know the steps.:kiss:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK. I did the job. And again, not easy. I found out early that undoing the two Phillips screws that hold the cover down does nothing. Removing the seat latch showed a big hole in the cross member and a view of the hooked in cover. Pic 1. I was able to free it with a spring hook thru the hole but you might be able to pry it up from in the back. Pulling up on the cover only pushes down on the hooked part. The cover still needs to be freed of all the switches and fusebox so make sure you take a pic to remember the oem layout. You definitely have to get the cover out of the way to get the battery out.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts