StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 DL1000. I’ve read numerous post relative to skid plates. Most skid plates require the installation of engine guards for the exception of SW motech. (which is currently out of stock). Is that the only option without engine bars?
Thanks
Gmarcheryguy

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
No the Givi doesn't need one. Using a skid plate that doesn't attach to a crash bar should only be considered for light duty.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Look for Kappa, is same Givi.....more cheap.

Inviato dal mio VTR-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
Good call. Part # RP3105K. It’s available on Amazon.com.

·
Administrator
13,480 Posts
I have the Givi engine guard in my 2015 DL1000.

I got it for stopping gravel and small rocks from hitting my engine. It does that job well.

Just realize it isn't for keeping the engine off stumps, bottoming out on rocks or lifting the bike, etc.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,480 Posts
absolutely positively do NOT BUY a Givi "Skid plate" they are cheap garbage and give a false sense of security.
My Givi "skid plate" does a perfectly good job of keeping stones and small rocks off the engine and oil filter.

It isn't cheap. It isn't garbage. It does exactly what I expect it to do.

You may have different expectations and calling something "cheap garbage" just because it doesn"t meet your needs or expectations is really being lazy. If you don't like it why not say why? Something like "I like to bottom my bike on tree stumps and big rocks and the givi unit won't take that kind of abuse"

That would be much better than insulting all those that are perfectly happy with the Givi"s capabilities.

..Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree that my givi does block stones from hitting my oil filter just as expected. Fit was excellent. It is a good product for a stone guard. The only thing is I wish it tucked up a little tighter on the bottom. I think I lost an inch of ground clearance which is pretty limited already.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts