Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
tyblaney said:
Hello fellow troopers!
I saw this beautiful picture in the gallery of this guy with a white Strom. I noticed it had a aluminium skid plate. Does anyone know where I might get such and animal? Also do knobby motorcross tires fit without mods to the original bike?
:?:
The aluminum skid plates are available in several different configurations from several manufacturers. Google can be your friend.

You should also be able to get knobbys in sizes to fit the Strom but unless you're doing sand or mud why would you want to? It's really not going to do well in the rough off-road stuff like a KLR or DR would do; it's alittle too heavy and doesn't have the right suspension for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trooper

Ya fair enough. I want to be able to do several hundred kms. on forestry trunk roads. I would feel better on knobby tires. and having the aluminium skid plate would eliminate the damage to my oil cooler. The reason I purchase the vstrom is so that I would be better off on the highway. I wanted the sport from a "crotch rocket" and the versatility of a KLR. So that is why I purchased a V-STROM!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Re: Trooper

tyblaney said:
Ya fair enough. I want to be able to do several hundred kms. on forestry trunk roads. I would feel better on knobby tires. and having the aluminium skid plate would eliminate the damage to my oil cooler. The reason I purchase the vstrom is so that I would be better off on the highway. I wanted the sport from a "crotch rocket" and the versatility of a KLR. So that is why I purchased a V-STROM!
Then you've got the right bike! For mostly forest roads I think you could get away with one of the dual sport tires like the Trailwings, Anakees, Tourances, Scorpions etc, especially if you're going to do 70% street-30% forest road. You could do a real enduro style tire like the Dunlop 606 if you plan to do a lot more off road than on road but the stree performance and mileage will suffer accordingly and the Strom is really (imo) just a little too heavy to run knobbies all the time. OR do what the hardcore advriders do and carry both sets. street tires to get there and then spoon on the dirt tires for the trails.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
tyblaney said:
Hello fellow troopers!
I saw this beautiful picture in the gallery of this guy with a white Strom. I noticed it had a aluminium skid plate. Does anyone know where I might get such and animal? Also do knobby motorcross tires fit without mods to the original bike?
http://stromtrooper.com/gallery/displayimage.php?
album=random&cat=0&pos=-22
I got my skid plate from Twisted Throttle, a Motech brand. Works with the crash bars. Worked well on the trip to Canada last month.

Take care,

John

·
Registered
147 Posts
The skid plate and the crash bars are from SouthWest Mo-Tech. The tires appear to be TKC-80's from Continental Tire.

I personally have the crash bars and really like them. I do plan to add the skid plate later. I do hear that it does reduce clearance slightly, but not enough to be a major concern.

All the best,

TC :D

K

·
0 Posts
I've read elsewhere Wasabi beats the heck out of that plate and it has really held up well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
tyblaney said:
Hello fellow troopers!
http://stromtrooper.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=0&pos=-22
Thats a SW Motech skid plate, a better one is available from Adventure Motostuff, the tires are TKC 80's same tire as BMW GS, will work good but won't last long. I took a trip to Baja and rode all over some pretty rough stuff with stock Trail Wings. I use Tourance now they work great. Don't be fooled the V-Strom will go just about everywhere the KLR will go and better, I've owned both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts