StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, I really may have to bite the bullet on this one. Just hate to see her lovely new belly unprotected. Was waiting on something decent priced but who knows when that might be. Right now the Suzuki heavy duty aluminium jobbie looks very attractive. The price is more than I want to pay with Ebay ones going as high as $400+. There are now a couple at three and a quarter plus duty shipping and taxes to BC, for me. Gotta call the dealer tomorrow and see if he can do better.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Damn, I really may have to bite the bullet on this one. Just hate to see her lovely new belly unprotected. Was waiting on something decent priced but who knows when that might be. Right now the Suzuki heavy duty aluminium jobbie looks very attractive. The price is more than I want to pay with Ebay ones going as high as $400+. There are now a couple at three and a quarter plus duty shipping and taxes to BC, for me. Gotta call the dealer tomorrow and see if he can do better.
Still cheaper than potential exhaust/oil filter/engine damage :yesnod:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm going to be a guinea pig and order one of these in stainless:

enduro guardian,skid plate, bash plate,radiator guard,lift kit,protection,yann

These are the best looking, strongest looking V-Strom bash plates I've seen so far, and I need a set yesterday. In email discussions with Yann, he assures me that the plates fit with the OEM center stand and should be compatible with the OEM crash guards.

I'll post pictures when it's ready to be ridden in anger.

·
Registered
449 Posts

These are the best looking, strongest looking V-Strom bash plates I've seen so far, and I need a set yesterday. In email discussions with Yann, he assures me that the plates fit with the OEM center stand and should be compatible with the OEM crash guards.

I may do the same

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

That looks like its for the legacy DL1000, are you sure its going to fit or is there a new design ready?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Question - does anyone know the quality of the OEM skidplate? I did research Yan's website and videos. Looks like he makes a very strong product. I don't know that I need that substantial of a skidplate, as my offroading entails hard packed dirt roads. For convenience sake, I thought the OEM may do fine. Any recommendations for or against Suzuki's skidplate?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking the Enduro are not a fit for the new V. The OEM certainly is the better looking of the bunch and it is advertised as heavy duty. It would be my choice. Curious as to what the dealer is selling them for.

·
Registered
449 Posts
From the pics I've seens of the OEM I'm not sure it mounts anywhere near as solidly as an aftermarket one does. And that is why I ordered one from Yann.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That looks like its for the legacy DL1000, are you sure its going to fit or is there a new design ready?[/QUOTE
His skid plate has fit all years so far. From old wee to new Glee. And he says it should fit so I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Jake Mountain,

Did you order aluminum or stainless? Looks like you're going to be the guinea pig. :thumbup:

Did you get an ETA on delivery?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I ordered the aluminum with the upgraded bolt kit. Someone else on the ADV forum has already ordered one as well and will probably get his I had of me. I just placed the order a few hours ago and have not yet received estimated delivery time.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer has OEM for $319. Should have it in a few days.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are referring to the brackets, my F8GS plate took a big hit and I was surprised to find out how flimsy the brackets were. Upon further inquiry I found out they are made that way to 'give'. Absorb shock. So, flimsy good.:yesnod:

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you are referring to the brackets, my F8GS plate took a big hit and I was surprised to find out how flimsy the brackets were. Upon further inquiry I found out they are made that way to 'give'. Absorb shock. So, flimsy good.:yesnod:
Yes in certain instance's I suppose it is.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Dealer has OEM for $319. Should have it in a few days.
Please share with us your opinion of the OEM skidplate when you receive it.
They are on fleabay for 335. including shipping and tax. I am curious, as I believe I read someone's post that was turned off by the thickness of metal used/flimsy construction. I do not personally know of its' quality. I have been toying with purchasing one, as I do not do a lot of off roading, but certainly want to protect the underside. Also, what is necessary to loosen/remove for an oil change? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know how they could call it "Heavy Duty" and make it with flimsy metal.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I just hope Yanns skid plate works. I'll let y'all know next week.
I fully expect that Yann's (aka Narcosis Junky, Enduro Guardian) skid plate will work just fine. I have one of his steel plates on my '07 DL650. It works and looks just fine. I have grounded my plate hard several times and other than needing a little paint, it held up well. He puts a lot of attention into a product before he releases it.

I think engine guards and bash plates should be on the top of the farkle list for any V-Strom rider be they riding on a 650 or a 1000. The bottom of our engines are just too exposed. It only takes one time of grounding your bike hard to make the cost of a bash plate worth many times what you have payed for it. I have holed an engine casing on another bike I owned. The cost of pulling the engine and getting it welded was way way more expensive than a bash plate from any vendor.

It only takes one zero speed drop to more than pay for your engine guards.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm leaving for what will be my new V2's first ADV rally next Thursday. If all goes as planned I will at that point have added, Oxford heated grips, center stand, engine guards, Yann's bash plate and Bark Busters.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts