Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a best bang for the buck skid plate. Ideally it is a true skid plate integrated with crash bars, but I don’t have the bars yet either, so I would consider guards that aren’t necessarily a proper skid plate structurally.

I primarily rent out my bike so looking for something functional and affordable most of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just ordered this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-SkidPlate-V-strom-DL650-04-12-Vstrom-Mud-Guard-Fender-Engine-Guard/182388500382?_trkparms=aid=888008&algo=DISC.CARDS&ao=1&asc=20131227121020&meid=011dd0ec1b5d4ef1b5bec94eedc95b24&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&mehot=ag&sd=172147387532&itm=182388500382&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

$160 delivered. Appears to be on amazon too for $250. It hasn’t been delivered and takes a few weeks from Europe so I can’t comment but it looks to be fairly stout and attaches to most crash bars. Hoping it’s decent, I don’t plan to ride motocross with my strom but would like some protection for the oil filter etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a Weld86 plate too. I wanted the piece of mind that rocks or dirt aren't getting thrown onto the oil filter. I don't ride on any serious off-road terrain. Plenty of folk comment that bolting to the engine case is just asking for trouble, but as others have noted, the Weld86 offers good protection for the money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Weld86 plate too. I wanted the piece of mind that rocks or dirt aren't getting thrown onto the oil filter. I don't ride on any serious off-road terrain. Plenty of folk comment that bolting to the engine case is just asking for trouble, but as others have noted, the Weld86 offers good protection for the money.
If I hit something hard enough that it damages a Weld86 skid plate and then busts or cracks the engine case, there's a high probability that whatever I did did a lot more damage to the bike than just that. At that point, it's time to upgrade the whole bike!

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are getting crash bars too, make sure the skid plate will mate with them. Some are designed for and come with hardware for several different brands of crash bars.

·
Super Moderator
16,730 Posts
Been having an annoying buzz/vibration occurring at most all RPM's, this was so not like my bike and knew that something wasn't right. So.....changed my oil today and guess what I found to be the culprit, it was the main mount broken on my WELD86 skidplate. Skidplate was still decent secured but most certainly causing the harmonic buzz I have been feeling as of late. I know that a few other than mine have broken in this exact way, so I will be reaching out to the fabricator tomorrow to see what my options are. This was not caused by a hard hit on the plate, this was just a metal fatigue failure from what I can tell. WOW my bike is so smooth now, has all new sprockets and chain, fresh oil in the crankcase, and no skidplate buzzing around. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went with Racetech as at the time it was the best looking skid plate option. Doesnt bolt to engine, follows close to the exhaust header and is quite sturdy.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I like my Hyde racing plastic skid plate. Plastic worked well on my YZ 250X woods bike. Hugs the engine cases, lightest plate you can buy, comes with lousy hardware though.

·
Vendor
4,554 Posts
Th Givi guard is not for trail riding, it is a cost effective solution for the other 90% of strom owners who stay on roads (paved, and unpaved).

There is a thread around here about a skid pan that catches on the front fender at full compression of the forks. It might be the one linked above.

I f I were renting out my strom I would have a "paved roads only" clause in the contract. But, that is just me. I remember something similar with private aircraft rentals. No soft filed operation allowed unless you bring your own insurance.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
I like my Hyde racing plastic skid plate. Plastic worked well on my YZ 250X woods bike. Hugs the engine cases, lightest plate you can buy, comes with lousy hardware though.
my Kymco UXV450i (UTV) has plastic skid plates, I'm on my second set, and just peeled the center plate of last weekend.

looking for something more durable, the advantage of plastic, is it slides over contact objects better than metal, and pretty much returns to shape, metal plates are more subject to tearing and denting, but don't peel off as easy

one company makes laminate plastic/aluminum plates, but not for my model, I'm thinking of making my own, uncurling the plate I just peeled off, using it as a template, then gorilla gluing it to the metal plate I cut.

I have the stock plastic belly pan on my Vee, I don't really have a need for anything better, it'll deflect any stone I will see on gravel roads, no plans taking the heavy pig off road where I might bounce it off rocks & stumps

·
Super Moderator
16,730 Posts
WELD86

Here is an update from my previous here posted on the DL1000/650 facebook group as of 9/9/19......AMAZING customer support, please give Charlie some business!!!

Ok update......talked to/called the owner Charlie Inman of Weld86 last Friday, apparently my email went to his spam folder. Told him the situation and what happened, and he said he’ll gladly take care of it no charge. He doesn’t get too many which break at that mount, but apparently all are the second generation 12-16 which break, has yet to have a first gen plate fail. He explained that in order to make the plate mount like the first gen, he had to make the through engine case mounting point a bit thinner and tapered down unlike the first gen engine. Regardless.......that’s customer service and standing by your product, new plate arrived today by second day shipping!!! Wow I’m floored by that, I never expected him to go above and beyond like this. Stand up owner and business I tell ya, can’t recommend him enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A Weld86 skid plate can be installed with a 3/4 Two-Brothers exhaust (or any other I suppose). I don't know if it's a question for anyone else, but it was for me! When installing I had to shim the right aft support quite a bit to get clearance between it and the exhaust. Also, the right forward mount has minimal clearance between it and the exhaust. I hope my tweaking doesn't cause any cracks from undue stress or vibes.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
I’ve had the Hyde racing skid plate as a rock and stick guard for 3 years / 40,000 miles. Light weight, quiet, durable, relatively inexpensive. Doesn’t crack or corrode. I have no illusions of serious off-reading on my Strom. I just want something to protect the oil filter, and catalytic converter from damage on logging / fire roads.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I may be the only one that has this opinion but the front connecting pipes on crash bars are a weak and flexible point. I have had an OEM set shear the bolt off one side of the connector and that showed how fragile the span is. I can't see that point on the assembly as a great place to anchor a skid plate. Most all plates attach there so I went with the Weld 86 simply because it does not.
I sprayed the inside of the Weld with undercoat to cut down the reflected engine noise and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got the Weld 86 also and am happy with it, think it will do its job, protect oil filter and exhaust, not sure how hard of a hit it would take, not to concerned with that because when I'm riding the wee in rough stuff I take it easy. Had to modify my plastic lower cover, could have removed it but like the looks of it so I cut some of the plastic away so the skid plate could fit,

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts