StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sw motech crash bars on my 18 1000xt I was all set to order a motech skid plate until I saw it bolts to the engine! What were they thinking! The only other option I can find that will work with my crash bars is from happy trail.. Can I run the motech skid without it bolted to the engine? Is there a better skid that will work, anyone use the happy trail? Sorry for all the questions.. Thanks again for any help Nathan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have your light bar bracket and I love it! I knew that skid plate bolted to the engine wouldn't work! But what do you suggest I use with my motech crash?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I'm not getting any help here I went ahead and ordered 2 skids with highway pegs from happy trails, one for my dad and for myself. I'll post up a short review when I receive them

·
Registered
116 Posts
Izeplin,

Do you have the Suzuki center stand? I opened up my Happy Trails box this afternoon and took a quick look at the install. The skid plate mounts to the side stand bolts on the left side rear and the bolts where the center stand mounts to the frame on the right rear. There's a lot going on in there with spacers, a hose bracket, etc. I'm not positive the HT mount will fit in there with all the other stuff. At a minimum it looks like the bolts won't be long enough.

Anybody know?

It appears in another thread that some folks have been able to mount the HT skid/Suzi center stand combo on 2014+ bikes so it seems like it should... Does anybody know if it will work specifically on a 2018? It would be great to hear before taking all that stuff apart.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
2018 vstrom 1000.....

Suzuki crash bars...happy trails skidplate..Suzuki centerstand...it is easiest to do the install of all 3 prouducts at the same time

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good Taz,, no I don't have a center stand I hate to lose the ground clearance. My skid is supposed to be delivered Wednesday I'll post up a short review. I read somewhere and the folks a happy trails said it was strong enough to use a jack under it to lift the bike..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have Suzuki center stand, Happy Trail skid and Givi crash bars. The Happy trails plate is great, solid, good mounts, can lift the bike with it. No problems hooking everything up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm traveling this weekend but maybe I'll tackle the skid plate next week.

Vinnie

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just to complete the circle on my experience... I instantly HT skid plate yesterday. It didn't come with the bushings to adapt to the OEM crashbar crosspiece. I cut a bicycle inner tube and made do. I called HT and left a message since I though they were routinely including those adapters. Maybe I was wrong and maybe it was an oversized on them end - no big deal. If you have Sushi crashbars I'd let them know, though, to increase the odds that you get this bushings.

Vinnie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since I'm not getting any help here I went ahead and ordered 2 skids with highway pegs from happy trails, one for my dad and for myself. I'll post up a short review when I receive them
How are the highway pegs and skid plate? I am thinking about buying the same setup but would like some feed back before I jump on the purchase. Would you buy them again if you had the chance?

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is the setup I have. Suzuki center stand, Happy Trails skid plate & Motech crash bars. Mine's a V2, but I believe V2 & V3 are the same in this regard.

·
Registered
326 Posts
How are the highway pegs and skid plate? I am thinking about buying the same setup but would like some feed back before I jump on the purchase. Would you buy them again if you had the chance?
I have the highway pegs on my Happy Trails skid plate. For the most part they are fine, but I do have a couple of gripes

1) At a 34" inseam, my legs are all the way out to reach them. For my comfort, they could be an inch closer. I don't see how a person with a 32" or less inseam would be able to reach the pegs in order to use them without sliding up to the tank.
2) I would not consider the pegs themselves to be rubust. There is some slop in the hinge, and they just don't feel very refined.

These bikes weren't designed with highway pegs in mind, and the ergos of the bike make it difficult to to come up with a solution that is as seamless as the big cruiser types. I only use the highway pegs for short periods to stretch my legs, and if I had it to do again, I would probably buy them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the highway pegs on my Happy Trails skid plate. For the most part they are fine, but I do have a couple of gripes

1) At a 34" inseam, my legs are all the way out to reach them. For my comfort, they could be an inch closer. I don't see how a person with a 32" or less inseam would be able to reach the pegs in order to use them without sliding up to the tank.
2) I would not consider the pegs themselves to be rubust. There is some slop in the hinge, and they just don't feel very refined.

These bikes weren't designed with highway pegs in mind, and the ergos of the bike make it difficult to to come up with a solution that is as seamless as the big cruiser types. I only use the highway pegs for short periods to stretch my legs, and if I had it to do again, I would probably buy them.
thank you for the reply and feedback it was very helpful. I am going without the highway pegs as I am a 32 seam.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the delayed response. I have the happy trail skid and high bars. I first mounted them on the front of the skid and yes my 32" inseam I could reach them but it wasn't all that comfortable. So I moved them on the front side and now they feel great, plenty of room.
It's a we'll made skid very strong fits great but it's way wider than it needs to be. Overall I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. I have the happy trail skid and high bars. I first mounted them on the front of the skid and yes my 32" inseam I could reach them but it wasn't all that comfortable. So I moved them on the front side and now they feel great, plenty of room.
It's a we'll made skid very strong fits great but it's way wider than it needs to be. Overall I'm happy with it.

Thank you, maybe I will try this.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Lzepim,

When you get a minute, could post or DM a photo of how you mounted those footpegs? I too have a 32 inch inseam and they're too far away. I haven't been able to figure out how to get them closer.

Thanks,

Vinnie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's pretty simple just move the highway bars to the inside drill a new holes add bolt it up. It makes a lot of difference, you can see the original holes where I had it. The bars are a good 1/4" inch from the header, I've ridden it around 3000 miles and so far it hasn't even burned off the paint, I can't see any way that it will cause a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to get a skidplate for my bike, and I was considering either the Happy Trails or the Ravetech one. How do these two compare? If you were to choose one over the another (irrespective of where they're manufactured), which one would it be?

Since delivery, VAT and import duties for any of these will cost me an arm and a leg (I'm in Europe), does anyone know if there's an euro manufacturer for skidplates that do not bolt onto the engine case (no swmotech and givi)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts