StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed to notice a write up for a DIY install of a skid plate on a 09' DL-650 so I figured since I had a new skid plate I would document the install process. Enjoy!

Step 1:

Remove the two (2) bolts that hold on the kick stand. Both bolts require a 17mm socket. I noticed they were hard to initially remove so be ready to add a little muscle. YES i removed the two bolts that hold the kick stand switch on to keep the kick stand from hanging on the wires

Step 2:

Swap over the washers from the OEM bolts to the new extended bolts required to mount the bracket that holds the skid plate. I also added a touch of Blue Loc-Tite.

Step 3:

With a 13mm socket, remove the oem bolt and washers for the muffler bracket.

Step 4:

A comparison photo of the extended bolt and washer compared to the stock stuff. I also added a dab of Blue Loc-Tite.

Step 5:

Use the two (2) supplied kick stand bolts and oem washers to mount the steel bracket. Use a 19mm Socket for the new bolts. Tighten to spec.

Step 6:

Add the new bolt and washer to mount the bracket on the muffler side. A 13mm Socket was used. Tighten to Spec.

Step 7:

Mount the U-Bolts to the top setting (the top setting worked best for my 09' DL-650 with GIVI Engine Guards). I plan to upgrade to lock nuts soon. No reason to over Tq these. Keep them loose until you tighten the bottom bracket bolts.

Step 8:

Once both U-Bolts are hand tightened I rotated the Skid Plate into place and installed the bottom bolts. These are held in by lock nuts so no reason to use loc-Tite. Don't Over Tighten!

After about 25 mins I was able to enjoy my new Skid Plate.

Now I can focus on more Important things.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey FL - I tried to send you a PM - not sure if it worked (doesnt show up in my sent folder?) anyhow, we messaged earlier this evening . Send me an email at:

ktm DOT mike DOT 585 @ gmail.com

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey FL - I tried to send you a PM - not sure if it worked (doesnt show up in my sent folder?) anyhow, we messaged earlier this evening . Send me an email at:

ktm DOT mike DOT 585 @ gmail.com
Thanks Mike! :thumbup:

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
I have a Motech centerstand, will your plate work with that as well? I already gave Givi bars, so this would be PERFECT for me!!!! :hurray:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am in the process of installing sw motec skid plate and thous 2 bolts that hold the kickstand are no joke i was able to get one off by hand that second one i said screw it and just took it to a monroe muffler shop and had the guy break it loose with an impact. Even though the bolt was broken loose they are still tough to wrench off the rest of the way. That is the only hard part about doing the install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts