StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any idea where I can get a skid plate for the new 2012 vstrom 650? They are not availalbe through sv racing right now due to some manufacturing problems. I really need to get one soon, so I dont damage my new bike.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
sw motech skidplate for 2012

tmcgee ...Yeh I noticed that as well ,not sure I would want that as all the forces of a good hit will go directly to the engine bolts and probably crack the outer covers ..:yikes:sw

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is there any reason not to use the SW Motech skid plate for the 2011 and earlier Wees? It attaches to the bottom of the crash bars instead of the engine case.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my problem is that I spent almost every dime I had paying cash for the bike, so I can't even afford engine guards..i was just hoping for a skid plate, so I am not sure what to do now...since most of the skid plates attach to an engine guard.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The Hyde racing belly pan still fits. I moved mine from my 06-2012 bike.

It could use more clearance at the front of the oil filter, but it's more than good enough for dirt roads.

Really really tough , and unlike the metal ones - really quiet - you don't get those intermittent and worrying 'ding ding ting ding' sounds.

Pete

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'd wait for the new SV Racing model, unless you are a serious off-roader, and need it immediately.

I've seen the prototype, and it's a slick plate, very well made, and looks great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd wait for the new SV Racing model, unless you are a serious off-roader, and need it immediately.

I've seen the prototype, and it's a slick plate, very well made, and looks great.
I had ordered one, and they refunded my money the same day, saying that they were having issues from the manufacturer...and that it would be a few months before they could get more....I have to ride a mile of dirt road just to get to my house, so I feel pretty vulnerable not having any protection.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
You don't need a skid plate for dirt. You need it for rocks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Is there any reason not to use the SW Motech skid plate for the 2011 and earlier Wees? It attaches to the bottom of the crash bars instead of the engine case.
The earlier version mounts in the front to the crash bars. Twisted Throttle sez the brackets on the 2012 are designed to crumple, but I'm still not putting that Motech on my bike.

I've ordered a Pat Walsh crashbar/skidplate setup, the first one they've sent out. I'm their guinea pig test pilot checking for fitment. They'll take it back for a full refund if it won't bolt up., although it should.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have the swmotech and it serves the purpose for gravel and dirt roads which is the extent of my off roading. If you are going to be doing any serious off roading I would get the one from sv.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Hyde racing belly pan still fits. I moved mine from my 06-2012 bike.

It could use more clearance at the front of the oil filter, but it's more than good enough for dirt roads.

Really really tough , and unlike the metal ones - really quiet - you don't get those intermittent and worrying 'ding ding ting ding' sounds.

Pete
You can CONFIRM the Hyde Racing pan works on the 2012?

I'd like to buy one of these (of course Hyde's website shows it as out of stock)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts