StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate your comments about the Adventure Motostuff and the Happy Trail skid plates. I have the 2015 V strom 650XT. I only have access to pictures of each, but that can be misleading. Why do you like or dislike yours. I have reviewed some comments on the web, but I still am uncomfortable about my decision at this point. Thanks for your comments.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I have the HT, it's like tank armor. Get the front tire over something and drag the skid across. I have high centered my DL many times and had to have a bud help push it off the object(Rock, root or water break)...no damage. Smaller rocks make a nice wind chime "ching". You do not have to take it off to change the oil...plenty of room to get the drain plug out.

The drawback is the HT cage hangs down pretty low and it looks like there is over an inch between the exhaust pipe and the plate. Reducing that to 1/4" might help on some obstacles, but overall I am very pleased with it.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
You specifically asked about the HT products, so disregard my comments as you find appropriate.

Otherwise put me down as a satisfied Weld86 owner.

It will be a rare occasion for me to take the VStrom off road so I bought a bash plate solely to protect the oil filter and underbelly of the engine. The fit was perfect straight out of the box and the installation took about 15 minutes. With the Weld86 the oil filter can be removed without removing the bash plate.

Two views from a trip to the Smokies in July of 2016.

Left side

Right side

·
Vendor
5,160 Posts
Adventuremotostuff and happy trails are good people designing and producing their own work.

If you are not going to be riding black diamond trails there are less expensive options out there that will protect your oil filter from flying gravel (e.g., Givi, Weld 86). If you are going to be riding single track, jumping obstacles, occasionally high centering, then you need the most robust skid pan you can find (e.g., Enduro Guardian, Happy trails).

I personally would not buy from people that simply rip off other peoples work. As time goes by new people come in, long time members leave, and tribal knowledge is lost. Good intending members wind up advertising bad actors and rip off artists. It is how bad people succeed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Adventuremotostuff and happy trails are good people.
I personally would not buy from people that simply rip off other peoples work. As time goes by new people come in, long time members leave, and tribal knowledge is lost. Good intending members wind up advertising bad actors and rip off artists. It is how bad people succeed.
Rich i want to start by writing, I agree with you about copy cats, I prefer to buy form the original creator.
And I appreciate that you don't want to name someone and bad mouth them. But like you wrote new member come in not knowing the history so when you don't actually name the culprit it's hard to not make that mistake.

Maybe rather then naming the bad actors, how about highlighting & italicizing when listing the manufacture you do like and we'll read between the lines.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use the Enduro Guardian and it is tough. You can also lift the bike up using the skid plate. That might be a consideration. Really nice when removing both wheels at the same time. :nerd:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I love my enduro guardian! Built solid and fit with no issues. I thought he stopped making them though?

·
Vendor
5,160 Posts
Ocoas,

I think you missed that the OP specifically asked about Adventure Motostuff and Happy Trails. I tossed in a couple of less expensive alternatives by name. One we sell. One discussed above.

I didn't list a lot of manufactures. That is kinda normal don't you think?

Certainly I have my own raw nerve when it comes to copying original designs of others. This morning there were two unrelated threads that mentioned two of these scoundrels. It's easy to see what is happening (reference first post, new people, and time), but it still saddens me. A third example was a link posted to the guy who unabashedly ripped off eastern beaver. The scoundrel pumped Jim for information then duplicated his entire site with a black background instead of a white background.

There is little one can do, but "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

On a good note I have seen that the copycats are copying each other and driving their own prices down.

I know you don't mean to offend. There is just a lot of history here and as I said, a raw nerve, and there many ways to approach difficult subjects. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dealers-vendors-member-experiences/ is a good place to start.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My bike had a Givi when I bought it, it is a PITA to remove for oil changes and the brackets bent fairly easily when I bottomed it on a high gutter as I was leaving a car park. I straightened the brackets but haven't bothered refitting it. (If anyone in Aus wants it for the cost of postage, message me!).

·
Administrator
16,982 Posts
The Weld86 has been a great choice for me, and it has been tested off pavement. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of your responses have been informative and are appreciated. I have checked out many of the plates all of which I am sure will do the job. I tend to over analyze some decisions, but at this point I am close to ordering one very soon. I will be back to the forum for more information in my efforts to accessories my 2015 V Strom 650 XT. Thanks again.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
All of your responses have been informative and are appreciated. I have checked out many of the plates all of which I am sure will do the job. I tend to over analyze some decisions, but at this point I am close to ordering one very soon. I will be back to the forum for more information in my efforts to accessories my 2015 V Strom 650 XT. Thanks again.
Beware: I have a riding bud whose wife refers to a new or otherwise additional motorcycle in the carport as the "starter kit."

IMHO, my buddy is married to a smart woman.

:wink5:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Weld86 has been a great choice for me, and it has been tested off pavement.
Sooo Big B. When you say tested off pavement, do you mean rocks and gravel, or some pretty serious impacts??? Curious at to how robust you feel it is Sir.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Looking at Baskets photo's of the Weld, it looks like there might be a larger space between the end of the plate and the centerstand than on my HT plate. I high centered mine several times last week and never got hung up, but was worried about catching in that area and damaging the centerstand. Maybe Basket can take a measurement or photo of that distance and I can do the same to my HT?

A google pic of the HT from the side:

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts

I took the photo after I got home from work. The angle is bad in the above photo but the distance is just at 3” from the rear edge of the Weld86 bash plate to a line even with the pivots on the centerstand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I didn't measure it, but the HT looks like it almost meets the center-stand pivot:

The gap may or may not be an issue depending on how off road aggressive you are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just put a HTP skid plate on my '15 DL650.

I'd consider it just okay in quality and utility. Mounting kit had SAE locknuts for the rear mounting bolts which caused me a lot of trouble. Bolts were metric and nuts should have been too.

First ride I bottomed out on a tree root which caused the front mounting tabs on the skid plate to bend. Not so much that I had to straighten but will whenever I take plate off for next oil change.

Like most other skid plates I considered, I feel it is overpriced for what you get.

Skid plate will allow you to use a jack to lift the bike, which I like.

Contacted HTP about my issues but not much help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts