StromTrooper banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you all! Yeah if that header pipe went more to the side of the engine rather than below, it would give so much more ground clearance even with a skid plate that fit. Oh well I guess us Strom owners just have to deal with some less than ideal design. Still love the bike either way.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
As another DIY/fabricator kind of guy, I think that's a terrific job. I've worked a bit with aluminum, including 3/16" diamond tread plate, and I know what a bitch it can be to bend it without a full blown bending brake.

And because all fabricators can't resist offering an opinion, I'd have skipped the powdercoat expense. It's beautiful now, but even regular road riding is going to scar it, and off roading will make it look sandblasted. I powdercoated a homemade top rack a while back; it looked great in the beginning, but the abrasion from the top case ended up eating thru the powdercoat and making it look kind of dingy. Bare aluminum buffed out with steel wool looks good on our type of bike, and it's waaaay easier to maintain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As another DIY/fabricator kind of guy, I think that's a terrific job. I've worked a bit with aluminum, including 3/16" diamond tread plate, and I know what a bitch it can be to bend it without a full blown bending brake.

And because all fabricators can't resist offering an opinion, I'd have skipped the powdercoat expense. It's beautiful now, but even regular road riding is going to scar it, and off roading will make it look sandblasted. I powdercoated a homemade top rack a while back; it looked great in the beginning, but the abrasion from the top case ended up eating thru the powdercoat and making it look kind of dingy. Bare aluminum buffed out with steel wool looks good on our type of bike, and it's waaaay easier to maintain.
Thank you, and yeah it was a bear and a half. I thought about going the unpowdercoated route initially, but I just did not like the shiny look of the aluminum (which I guess I could have just had it sandblasted). However, my opinion could change once I start riding with it installed and it starts taking some abuse.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Well, worst case scenario is that if after a year or so you don't like it, you can take it back to the powdercoater and have him bead blast it clean. It'll look like a brand new skid plate!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s a really great looking piece, very solid. There’s a great deal of satisfaction that comes with making your own parts as opposed to just buying something that a million other people have. I finished building a skid plate of my own recently and thought I’d share the photo here (I don’t mean to highjack the thread, just wanted to share the design in case others are looking for more ideas). Built out of stainless steel and part of an old shelving unit, taken from the scrap bin at work. My total cost was about $20 including the rubberized rockerguard I sprayed it with!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That skid plate looks really nice! I like all the perforations in the side. Really makes it look unique.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts