StromTrooper banner

Skid Plate Available??

2785 15
My '08 did not come with a skid plate.....is there any even available these days?
I have the Givi crash bars, so it would need to fit with these.
Have searched for a good 30 minutes and found nothing for Gen 1.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
7,455 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit too much $$$ to have to make a bracket for them to fit.
I saw that one on ebay for the DL650 as well; better price, still requires fab work to be done. Not against fab work, just have limited tools to do such.

How about this......does someone remember what the Givi part number is for the skid plate for a 1st Gen 'Vee? Perhaps I could find a used, useable one somewhere.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read on here about a Givi skid plate, but it could have been for the 650, will have to go back and check.

Looking once again at the one on ebay for the 650; the two holes at the rear of the plate, I assume these are mounting holes.? What do these two holes align with on the 650? I did not see anything on my Vee that would.

Thanks for looking Rick.

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki KLV1000
209 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
These say for 650/1000 and I can verify that it does in fact fit a 1000 with Givi crash bars. No modifications needed to the skid plate, it bolts right up.

Happy Trails V-Strom Skid Plate DL650 All
I have this same one installed on my 2007 DL1000. It bolts right up, but I did have to create some spacers for the brackets for the crossbar between the crash bars. The brackets they gave are for 1" tube and the cross member on my crash bars was only 3/4".

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did purchase the Cosmo skid plate, attempting to install it. The bracket that runs across the bottom of the engine is attached using the two side stand bolts and the right side one exhaust support bolt. I was able to remove the side stand bolts by removing the front exhaust collar bolts along with the right side exhaust support bolt. This allowed me to get a 17mm socket + short extension between the exhaust and engine. However, the skid plate replaces these two bolts with a 19mm hex head bolt. Not able to get a 19mm socket in there now. And with the bracket in place, now there is no room to get either a boxed-end or open-end wrench onto the bolt heads. Appears the exhaust system will need to be removed to be able to get the 19mm socket onto the replacement side stand bolts.
Those of you that have installed a skid plate....care to share how/what you did to tighten these two bolts?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki KLV1000
209 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jonstorp: yep I have those instructions...which are of no real value.
It is the #5 bolts that I am referring to. I will work on it more today before I remove the exhaust. Perhaps a thin-wall 19mm socket, or a thinner 19mm wrench.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts