StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Stromers,

I’ve been a lurker for awhile before buying a 2012 Vstrom 650 in July 2012. Here’s the payback for all the great ideas I gleamed from the site.

This project adds Skene P3 Lights with turn signals, utilizing Eastern Beavers Tail light adaptor (version 2) to a 2012 Vstrom 650. The lights will be mounted on the stock license plate bracket without the use of the Skene brackets for simplicity. Be sure to ensure the wires protruding from the rear of the LED assembly clear the license bracket. The Skene IQ-160-TS controller will be double-sticky taped to the roof of the tool compartment toward the right side, to ensure that no existing tools will be displaced by this installation. All wiring will be ty-rap’d and dressed to the space outside the tool tray, further ensuring no wasted space.

Please note that I deviated from supplies provided with the Skene P3, by utilizing crimp connectors with integrated heat shrink tubing, but the project can be completed with what is supplied in the kit.

Although I drilled holes in the license plate bracket while still on the bike, it may be easier to remove the bracket and drill it on a bench. (You may even drill them more symmetrically than I did)

There is open space under the fender that accesses the rear of the tool tray to facilitate fishing the LED wires up using a coat hanger or chicken wire. Tie a knot in the left LED assembly wire to differentiate this, as it will connect to the shorter flat wire of the controller. The right LED assembly wire will connect to the long flat wire of the controller. All other wires (controller & EB adaptor cable) are straight forward.

My installation utilizes the EB version 2 cable, which has an extra wire (PURPLE) that must be twisted with the RED EB brake wire to enable a brake light output to the Skene controller.

The wire connections are as follows:

Function->EB Adaptor ->Skene P3 w/TS [LED Assembly]
Brake->Red&Purple->White
Running->White->Red
Left turn->Yellow->Green [Short Flat wire-knot in wire]
Right turn->Blue->Yellow [Long Flat wire]
Ground->Black->Black

This installation should take about 1.5 hours for an average person to perform.

All products (Skene & EB) supplied are of high quality and provided the installation is neat and with integrity, should last the lifetime of the bike. I personally know of a few Skene LED installations that are 5 years old with no problems whatsoever.

Vstrom Feature – Remember the “parking light” position on our key switch that everybody complains about. Well, the Skene P3 allows you to adhoc configure your LEDs to emergency flash repeatedly (even quad flash) and retain that configuration till the brakes are depressed. So you can park your bike to the side of the road while attending an emergency and adhoc configure the emergency flashing feature, rotate the ignition key off to “parking” and remove the key. To restore to normal, just turn the ignition key to start and depress the brake and it resets to normal operation.

Pictures to follow once I can figure how to post.

Enjoy!
Ken (Kenscoots)

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't know who closed this thread and why so I'm opening it before people start throwing rocks at me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for the post and the pictures.

I have the yellow Skeene visibility lights mounted on my forks. I didn't spring for the extra $ to make them also operate as turn signals and I wish I had. They've worked well and really get peoples attention.

I'd like to add a set of these to my top box in addition to my Lite Blazer rear license plate bar.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I like 'em.

They are so annoying (read that effective) that last tech day we installed a ground interrupt into Taters system so it can be deactivated when riding in a group.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I originally saw Skene lights 5 years ago at a Finger Lakes BMW Rally, but already had a tail light modulator at the time. A couple of guys in my club also have these installed. Definitely attracts cager's attention.

·
Registered
90 Posts
P3s

I have had the p3s on my strom for a year and a half. I just installed another pod of, I believe it was twelve, LEDs along side the original twelve on each side of my license plate.( an eighty dollar mod.) the p3 system is probably the best money I've spent on my safety. Riders comment on the flicker of these lights and how it caught their eye. Highly recommended.,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for the post and the pictures.

I have the yellow Skeene visibility lights mounted on my forks. I didn't spring for the extra $ to make them also operate as turn signals and I wish I had. They've worked well and really get peoples attention.

I'd like to add a set of these to my top box in addition to my Lite Blazer rear license plate bar.
What brackets did you use?

After I take my MSF course, I'm going to make another purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts