StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 V-Strom DL1000 XA L8
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding some Stedi C-4 Black Edition LED Light Cube to my Strom, and feel the need to dim those bad-boys down a bit when using them as running lights during the day.

The Skene IQ-275 seems to be the right thing for that but I am also aware that for a fraction of the cost I can buy something similar from Ebay - DRL Controller Car Auto LED Daytime Running Light Relay Harness Dimmer #❤ | eBay

Other than the programmable nature of the Skene (which is great), are there other important differences that I am not aware of? Why should I pay much more money for a Skene?

Would love your help with this please, from anyone that has experience with installing dimmable DRLs. I'm not very electronically minded but can make-do with a bit of instruction.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Before going with the cheap option, I would want to know and / or consider:
  • How does it dim the lights?
    • Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is what you want for LEDs (without delving into additional factors like frequency of modulation), as it tends to work with a broader array of products / LED light designs
    • Constant Current Reduction (CCR) is more likely to cause issues with more products / LED light designs
  • How much does it dim the lights?
    • How much dimming you want for yours will depend, in part, on the outout of your C-4s, how you aim them, and which lenses you use. So even if you knew the cheapo dimming percentage, you may not know in advance it will do what you wish (or necessarily dim the specified percentage...cheapo product specs are often, but certainly not always, inaccurate or misstated)
    • I've dimmed my low-beam aux lights to 10, 20, or 30% at times as I figured out what provided best brightness (per orientation / angle) without blinding other drivers at night. And if I ever replace them, I expect to not know in advance what amount of dimming will be appropriate for the new lights.
  • Is the dimmer adjustable? (Doesn't seem so) But if so, in what increments and how does one make changes?
  • Is the 2.5A rating total, or per channel?
    • Looks like the C-4 lights draw 2.1A each, so if the 2.5A dimmer rating is total, you'll overload it unless you use a separate dimmer for each channel (L and R), in which case I would also want to know it the percentage of dimming is consistent from one unit to the next)
  • There are two wiring diagram-ish images, and they're different. Which one is actually provided in the product?
    • One, the picture with labelled wires, INcludes a honk-to-flash feature
    • The other, the sticker on the unit, EXcludes the honk-to-flash feature
    • Both appear to turn on the lights with +13VDC, dim the lights when the headlight (in your case I would assume you'd wire to low-beam) or ACC ("reading light?") is on, and turn off (after 15 sec) with no voltage.
  • I assume customer service is essentially unavailable and limited to 30-day return
I can tell you my IQ-275 is a quality, well designed and built product, and has proven bulletproof for at least a couple / few years now under heavy use. Mine doesn't have the honk-to-flash feature, but I don't want it — over the years, both driving and riding, I've had too many people think a high-beam flash thinks "go ahead".

FWIW, My brother had an issue with his IQ-275 that was resolved (via replacement) swiftly, painlessly, and cost-free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is a fantastically comprehensive bit of advice. Thank you for being so detailed - exactly what I need. I really appreciate the time you put into that response! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Well, that pretty much settles it for me. Happy to pay more for good quality & support. And like you, I was starting to wonder about the specs and more detailed installation instructions for the ebay cheapos. And zero support was assumed for that kind of money.

Since it very much appears that you know what you are talking about, could I ask you another questions about using the Skene with the Stedi C-4 please?

I found this installation video (I'm sure you would have seen it)
in which the gentleman connects his lights to the Skene using a third (yellow) cable coming out of each lighting unit. I am assuming this enables the dimming function. What if the Stedi C-4s don't have such an extra wire? Would that be a deal-breaker that makes dimability impossible and I'll have to find a different set of lights? (Haven't bought anything yet..)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You need the 3 wires for the Skene dimmer to fit. I have a Cyclops 6 led light bar on my Tenere with the 275 dimmer. There is also an option on the dimmer to have 3 different levels of low beam by connecting a 3 pole/position toggle/rocker switch. Im using that option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need the 3 wires for the Skene dimmer to fit. I have a Cyclops 6 led light bar on my Tenere with the 275 dimmer. There is also an option on the dimmer to have 3 different levels of low beam by connecting a 3 pole/position toggle/rocker switch. Im using that option.
Ok, thanks for that. I had a look at the Skene installation instructions (silly me - should have started there!) and it seems that I would actually get more adjustment options while driving with the 3 position switch over the fancy 3-wire LED lights. So, not really a problem apart from having to mount another switch on the handlebar. Does that sound right?

Product Font Parallel Diagram Auto part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like that would work....but you wouldnt have the lights on when on low beam...only high beam with dimming via the toggle
Hmm, that would be a bit of a deal-breaker. I'm at the limit of my electronics knowledge - how did you figure that I won't have driving lights at low beam?

·
Registered
2019 DL650AL9
200 Posts
I’m very pleased with the Skene system, front (Photon Blaster with Turn Signals) and rear (P3 Brakelights Turn Signals and Decelerometer), on my 2019 DL650.

No dimmer or switch necessary. Mine run all the time as running lights and turn signals on the front, and as running lights, brake lights, and turn signals on the rear. Excellent, well designed and engineered system, with good instructions (I did reference the wiring diagram in my DL650 service manual).
Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Reactions: Oliwally

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want a high end controller get the neutrino black box
Basically an aftermarket canbus
The Neutrino Aurora seems to be a great all-in-one fuseblock & controller. Expensive, though. I'll have to do more reading to find out if it can behave the same as the Skene.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The Neutrino Aurora seems to be a great all-in-one fuseblock & controller. Expensive, though. I'll have to do more reading to find out if it can behave the same as the Skene.
I have one. It can do much more than a scene.for example, I have it controlling two sets of LED auxilaries. And how I have it set up is that, during the daytime, low beam is at 70 per cent of maximum for increased conspicuity. However, thanks to one of the (many) functions in the neutrino app, it automatically reduces that to 30 per cent — again on low beam — 30 minutes before sunset so I don't blind oncoming drivers. It uses my iPhone's information to calculate a different sunset for each day. It does that all comply automatically. Then, of course, it goes on high beam with a quick hit of my physical high beam button.

It also has a temperature sensing unit. So rather than having a Heat Troller — the heated shirt version of the Skene — I have my Warm and Safe electrified shirt programmed to increase in heat 10 per cent every two degrees the ambient temperature drops below 50 F.

It does a lot more. Here's something I wrote a while back. Also the founder, Dan Grassetti is the most customer service oriented rep I have ever encountered. All inquiries answered within 24 hours. He;'s truly incredible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for that good advice, Motocanada. Sound promising. I'm keen to see a full manual for the Aurora, but haven't found one yet. I'll keep looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts