Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get onto some of the fire/forest roads but am not experienced with dirt roads and would prefer not to be alone when trying this type of thing out. Anybody around that would be interested in being a guide or just a riding partner? I showed up to a dual sport ride today that was going to be going on some of these roads but all the other people seemed to be experienced and had dirty KTMs with great tires. I'm on OEM on the vstrom and it was wet, so I tucked tail and left not wanting to be a hindrance to the group being that I'm new and on a stock machine. Roads I'm fine, but dirt is new to me. Let me know if your interested in enlightening me.

Also, should I be looking at better tires? Lots of people say trail wings are fine for the road and dry service roads but not to great when its slippery. I signed up for Hoh Rainforest Ride by Altrider and anticipate that it will be wet. I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Check with the visitor centers for the national forests you'll ride in. The maps are usually out of date, and the center staff will know which roads are washed out, deep potholes, or foot deep dust.

You'll want tires with better grip for deep loose stuff. For an inexperienced rider, I'd get knobbier tires and put the Trailwings away for later. Two great choices are the Heidenkau K60 Scout and the Mitas E-07 Dual Sport. The Mitas are available in Richmond, B.C.
Mitas Adventure and Safari Tires - MX1 Canada

Also available are the lower cost Kenda Big block, the higher cost Metzeler Karoo 3, and the less-knobby Full Bore M40 and Shinko 705.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PTrider, I'll look into those tires and a tire changing station for the garage. Seems the full bores have some decent reviews and are affordable enough to leave money for tools.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts