StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Vendor
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sometime now (week?) the site has slow and laggy. Visiting the often results in a "this page is no longer responding" message.

I'm experiencing this on two different computers and different internet connections.

Anyone else?

If I weren't such a persistent guy I would probably just leave the site for another forum and I suspect many are.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, it is slow. There are background ads that keep trying to load. It even affects the ability to type responses.

It is any site that uses vBulletin. I've seen this same slowdown on other vBulletin sites I visit.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes but this site better than most on/off IMO :grin2: so have other stuff to go to while it usually loads or does right. Am a old truck/car nut so lots of those places to go back and forth on.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
It's been a little slower for me here on occasion but not enough for me to check the lower left corner to see where it might be hanging. ADVRider has gotten really slow and each hang has been on ADVRider.com so it isn't any third party loading holding things up. Neither has gotten to the point of failure to load.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Unless I log on can not get to move sometimes.Often just want to look over anything new and can not till a log on unlike other sites. Still well worth the trouble IMO. Like all the help on troubles here and good ideas. All so some really good laughs some times. Laugh at your self and others together is good for you IMO. :wink2:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I have certainly noticed ADV being WAY slow lately. Cannot say I am seeing that here, yet, but I can tell you that a couple other Vertical Scope sites are really acting weird. Pages jumping up and down when you try to scroll, not staying in place, etc. Maybe they need some maintenance on servers?

I run Chrome.

·
Vendor
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine will load, but I have lost posts in the process of writing them due to the site locking up. I am really concerned about the decline in site views over the last few years. Even though V-Strom ownership has increased significantly in this time site views are 1/3 since VS took over. The security issue certainly hurt, but the problems people experienced trying to re-register and sign up as new members, and now the laggy slow site must be taking its toll on participation.

I'm going to self censure at this point in the post.

·
Registered
425 Posts
yes profit is not a dirty word but there is way more jangle running here than most forums and it was just unmanageable until I added fair ad blocker plug in on chrome browser...it reports 66 ads being blocked not logged in and 12 logged in on this page alone...logging in helps.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It has been loading quick and normal for me, but I have been using Ghostery to block ads and junk for a couple of years and don't have many issues.

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts
If you are noticing a slow down, couple things I'd like you to check for me.

First, are you noticing that the site still shows as "loading" in the tab, even after the site has apparently fully loaded?

Second, do you notice any message showing what the site is hanging on, like greywolf mentioned? If yes, can you grab a screenshot of the message you are seeing? If it loads too fast for you to get a screenshot, then that's probably not the cause.

Kevin

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Still works fine on Chrome with ABT on here.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts

·
Vendor
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know what to call it, but there is a little circle in the upper left hand corner that just keeps going round and round. It slows the whole computer down (i.e., other sites on my browser Google Chrome).

The circle is not the reload circle next top the back forward and home icons. the Stromtrooper "S" goes away and is replaced by a constantly rotating circle.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Could be your drive ...could be lots of things
something being slow to load

·
Registered
204 Posts
I haven't noticed any latency with the site.
My specifics:
- Logged in
- Lunch PST
- Chrome
- Speedtest by Ookla; Ping 70mS, Down 53Mbps, Up 95Mbps

I have been to some sites where it's is ridiculous with the interleaving of ads, etc. albeit at home where the pipe is smaller.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
What Chrome Extensions are you running?

I don't know what to call it, but there is a little circle in the upper left hand corner that just keeps going round and round. It slows the whole computer down (i.e., other sites on my browser Google Chrome).

The circle is not the reload circle next top the back forward and home icons. the Stromtrooper "S" goes away and is replaced by a constantly rotating circle.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
I have only experienced problems on the site at home when my ISP bogs down

My first thoughts would be . . .

1. If everything is running slow, consider checking for malware or poor ISP performance.
2. Try another browser and see if that makes a difference. Maybe an add-in is slowing it down.
3. Are your browsers current? Sometimes current scripts fail to run properly on older browser versions. I have an old XP box that has lots of issues with scripts.

That little circle typically means a script is trying to run. Have you disabled Java, Flash or anything else on that browser?

·
Vendor
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All that is necessary to speed up my computer is close the window with Stromtrooper open in it. Then everything goes back to normal/fast.

The concern here is that others may be experiencing the same problem and just avoiding or reducing time on the site. As I said before, site traffic is down 1/3rd since VS took over. Security fiasco, inability top re-register, now this. Certainly not an enhancement to the expereince.

If it is because of an over abundance of or slow loading advertisements (e.g., let's see how much revenue we can generate before we brake the camels back), or anything else VS may have done it needs to be undone, fixed, or reduced. Otherwise it is just another self inflicted wound killing off the membership and viewing.

If it slowness as the result of third party behavior tell them to fix it or eliminate it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts