StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Sirius Starmate installed on a ram mount but it developed some issues with the plug wires. I called Sirius and they sent me a Sportster 4 for no charge.

I was concerned with the dock mounted radio (didn't want it to come out of the dock on the road or trail) and the Sportster just like the Starmate aren't made to get wet.

So here's what I came up with:
It's a waterproof box that I bought at Walmart in the camping section for $6. It's mounted on the handlebars with u-bolts

here's the box closed up:

And here's a side view. You can see the headset plug on the left side that comes from the Starcom1 comm system mounted under the seat

With a few test rides so far I don't like the box as much as when it was out in the open on the ram ball. And I'm not crazy about the blue color of the box. However, it's good to know that the radio is protected from rain or a mis-aimed spray hose while washing the bike. That and the added security of knowing that the radio is safe from falling out of the dock and onto the road.

I'll be keeping my eye out for a slightly smaller box with a clear lid and black or smoked sides

·
Registered
981 Posts
My internet is wacky at the moment, so I can't see the pics on your post.

My setup sounds much like yours...Starmate on a RAM. And like yours, I had a problem with the connectors too. They just didn't hold up to the constant plugging and un-plugging. I have two units and I've had to re-soldier the connectors on both of them. The best way I've found to waterproof the unit is with a plastic sandwich baggie. It's easy on and easy off, and works like a charm without being big and bulky. If you're looking for a smaller box, check Aerostich. I seem to remember they had a selection of variable sized boxes.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My internet is wacky at the moment, so I can't see the pics on your post.

My setup sounds much like yours...Starmate on a RAM. And like yours, I had a problem with the connectors too. They just didn't hold up to the constant plugging and un-plugging. I have two units and I've had to re-soldier the connectors on both of them. The best way I've found to waterproof the unit is with a plastic sandwich baggie. It's easy on and easy off, and works like a charm without being big and bulky. If you're looking for a smaller box, check Aerostich. I seem to remember they had a selection of variable sized boxes.

Seeing pictures of your starmate was the reason that I went out looking for that specific radio. I also kept some sandwich bags handy for the rain. I had thought that the plug-in wires would be a better option than the docking on a motorcycle but like you say, they didn't stand up as well as I hoped to the plugging and unplugging everytime I went into a store. So far the box option seems to be working pretty well. I'm checking out the Aerostich site now. There's a small pelican that may work also.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked my sirius reciever today, and was playin with it and runnin it for a couple of hours, I think your going to want to be careful with the heat.. :)

I've been concerned about the heat. I often ride with the box lid opened or at least cracked for airflow. I'll be keeping an eye on the heat as summer gets closer.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a couple of refurb StarmateR's for $29 each. One was DOA but that's being taken care of. Looking forward to having tunes other than mp3's on the bike.
I've never been a big fan of the concept of satellite radio, until I installed it. Kinda the same way people thought about cable TV when it first came out while regular TV was for free, why would you pay for it?

Now I have a second car kit so I can move it between my bike and the car, or a rental if I'm traveling. Love it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you find that the volume level that comes out of your Sat radio is quite low? I am a little concerned. ( I just got it installed on Molly, and havent been out for a ride yet. )

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you find that the volume level that comes out of your Sat radio is quite low? I am a little concerned. ( I just got it installed on Molly, and havent been out for a ride yet. )
I've got mine running through the Starcom1 system which has it's volume adjusted for comfortable rider/passenger talking. At this level I've had to turn the volume of the sat radio down to about 3/4 volume to keep from having it blasting in my ears.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Just spend the money already and get a pelican case for it. There's an MP3 Player box that may limit the need to drill extra holes in it. I want to add sat to my Zumo but the antena is $189......F that. It's cheaper to buy a small reciever and do what you did.

·
Registered
453 Posts
For Christmas my son gave me a Roady XM satellite radio. I too was never a big fan of the satellite radio until I installed it. I have had no problems to speak of..... run into a few "no signal" spots every now an then.... It was an easy and quick install.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Get a Boosteroo from radio shack. My Sirius InV2 is unusable with helmet speakers without the booster. It would work fine for earbuds, but the helmet speakers needed a boost at highway speed while using my foam ear plugs. The boosteroo amp is great and the 2AA batteries last a long time. It was worth the $30.

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2732095&cp

bogey78

·
Registered
29 Posts
Headphones?

What kind of headphones are you driving with the Sirius unit?

Never really thought about satellite radio on a bike, but dang if that doesn't sound like an interesting idea.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of headphones are you driving with the Sirius unit?

Never really thought about satellite radio on a bike, but dang if that doesn't sound like an interesting idea.
Mine plugs into my starcom1 system from there into a helmet headset with speakers mounted in the ear pockets.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just picked up a 650 yesterday and rode for 2 hours today and wish I was still on it now, most of the time I was thinking about Sirius. Huge Stern fan and was thinking you could use a stiletto as long as you keep 1 of the ear piece out so it could pick up the satellite, has any tried this???

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well I had thought about the Stileto but didnt want to pay the big bucks to "try" it. So i bought the 40$ one put it in a similar case that the original poster's pic. THen I found that plugging headphones had 2 problems for me.

1) The volume level coming out of the Radio was too low

2) I was wired to the handlebars and waasnt a big fan of that. So I had an old MP3 Player that had 512MB of space or somehting AND it had a FM Tuner built in. So I just use the FM transmitter. It works like a charm.

the only complaint i have of the existing setup is that its a pain in the a$$ to get the key in and out of the bike due to the size and location of the case for my radio. I would like to put it on a shelf on the windshield as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ram mount

I chose the Sirius radio. I put it into an Aqua Box by Ram mount. It works vey well, and in the summertime I have not found that it overheats. As for sound, I have it wired into my JMC 2003 intercom system, never to quiet, easy to adjust the volume. Nice thing about the aqua box is that you can still push the button to control the radio because of the soft plactic front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts