StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to learn about my bike's lighting and the past several nights of lurking/reading (yes, I used search!) haven't turned up exactly what I'm looking for. Most threads are a few years old and about the Wee's 2-tail bulb setup.

I have a stockity-stock '12 Glee. I'd like to improve the tail light brightness as well as all 4 turn signals with LEDs. I'm not opposed to doing a little wire running/splicing/tapping with PosiTaps, etc. I just don't want to MacGyver my wiring. I'll do the EB PC8 and HIDs in the future, but right now I'd really like something simple that just works.

Things I'd like to achieve:
  • Brighter license plate light
  • Brighter turn signals
  • Brighter tail light (both running and braking)
  • Order everything online
  • Keep wiring as unharmed as possible in case I need to return it to stock
My questions:
  1. Beside half the # of bulbs, are the tail housings different between the Wee and the Glee? I see this New Motorcycle LED Tail Light For Suzuki DL 650 1000 V-Strom 2003-2008 Clear : Amazon.com : Automotive which looks easy enough to install and hook up... but it doesn't state that it's for a 2012 model.
  2. If that won't work... what other LED housing options are there (think LED board)? I simply replaced my incandescent housing on my '09 Buell with the 2010 LED tail light and it looked 10x better. Is there a simple plug/play tail light that out there?
  3. What are the bulbs sizes? The owner's manual says what watts (21W for turn signals, 5W for license plate, and 21/5W for brake/tail)... but not which bulb.
  4. Is replacing the turn signal bulbs with LEDs and adding reflective material (like foil tape) potentially brighter than simply installing different (LED) turn signals?
  5. 1156 = only one brightness setting... but 1157 = normal (running) and intense (brake). Is that correct?
  6. I'll need a LED Bulb Electronic Flasher (so that I don't have to run resistors)... anything else I need beside the bulbs and flasher?
I'm trying to spend less than $100 on this stuff... here's what I'm looking at so far:
$25 - 1157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower (for the single tail bulb) - link here
$7 - 15-LED BA15S bulb (for the license plate) - link here
$72 -4x 1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 18 SMD LED Tower (for turn signals... but at $18 each? Yikes!)

Thanks in advance, y'all!
- Mitch

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Working on the tail lights and signals is very easy. Take the rack off and the other support bolts and it all just pops up. (After removing the seat first of all).

After that, just keep the left and right relation correct and replacement is a quick thing. I didn't back lights in about an hour. Would have been faster had it not been so hot in my garage and not had butter fingers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also seeing some turn signals on eBay for fairly cheap.. that might add a little bit of style, but more importantly - faster/brighter than my stock incandescents?

Looksee:

Or 4 for ~$28 total:

·
Registered
824 Posts
using LED signals has been done a lot. for tail/brake consider adding an extra light
there have been many who mod the reflector to get it to function as a tail light, try a search

the amazon light does not say it will wotk on a 2012, but it pretty clearly states it is for 2003-2008- I think the answer is there

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
[*]Beside half the # of bulbs, are the tail housings different between the Wee and the Glee? I see this New Motorcycle LED Tail Light For Suzuki DL 650 1000 V-Strom 2003-2008 Clear : Amazon.com : Automotive which looks easy enough to install and hook up... but it doesn't state that it's for a 2012 model.
- Mitch
if brightness and conspicuousness is your goal, stay away from product like this one - i seem a rider on hiway give a right signal - took me an extra 2 seconds to work out which way he is trying to turn.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Are those replacement LED bulbs really brighter? They show the light out put to be 30 lumens for tail lights and 120 lumens for brake lights. Stock 1157 bulbs are 38 and 402 lumens, respectively. Halogen 3496 bulbs are 540 lumens from the brake filament.

As ACE noted with the LED turn signals, if they aren't actually a lot brighter than the stock signals, and are too close to the bike, they do not show up. They are a step backwards. 3497 single filament turn signal bulbs put out 565 lumens of light.

The U32 Hyperlite kit is hard to beat for adding conspicuity to the back of your bike.
Hyperlites Flashing led motorcycle brake lights, runing lights, and turn signals

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree, adding lights like the Skene P3 will make you much more visible. They are very easy to install or take off if you ever need to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A friend of mine added the skene lights to his bike (not a strom), mounted next
to his license plate. I thought the flicker was interesting but I thought the running lights were somewhat dim. (At least my perspective on the glee. A car driver might be lower to the ground and see brighter.)

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Where the lights are mounted is critical as LEDs have a narrow field of view. For caters, that means mounting between turn signal and mirrors, height wise. I understand people like the triangle look when u mount them at the forks, but I want to make my bike look as wide as possible as I weave among traffic. The triangle look is great for visibility if u are front of the back in a group of cars. But often the lights at the forks can't be seen by by cagers when u are among a group of cars, lights mounted wide on handlebar and mirrors makes u look wider and easier seen especially In traffic group, in my observation as cagers

·
Registered
92 Posts
I added a set of Skenes to the front and back of my 2012 Wee.

The flicker effect is pretty noticeable. I actually disabled the flicker effect on the rear ones as it almost looked like the lites were flashing.

Being able to change to different flash modes on the rears is pretty nice also.

Along with the Skenes I also added a headlite modulator. Opinions vary on those but I do get noticed a lot more than before. But even with all this you still need to stay on your toes and keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Hyperlites on the back of my wee.

For a penny-tech improvement to the turn signals, take off the lens and either line the inside of the housing with aluminum foil or (what I did) mask the socket and spray the inside of the housing with silver spray paint. The improvement in daytime visibility was significant.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm also seeing some turn signals on eBay for fairly cheap.. that might add a little bit of style, but more importantly - faster/brighter than my stock incandescents?

Looksee:

Or 4 for ~$28 total:
I had a pair of the ones in the last pic. Luckily they didn't cost very much. I got a lot of comments that they were not visible at all during the day.

I don't have any experience with the others.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the advice/suggestions!

I bought some 3M Reflective Foil Tape that I'm going to try and line the turn signals with. I think I'm getting the point that spending a ton on LED turn signals might not be worth the investment, esp. since there are 4 to replace. Additionally, I won't have to add a mechanical or electric blinker resistor (until I install Skene or HyperLites).

I would however like to change my license plate bulb to LED and at least try a replacement tail light. What size bulb are they? I pulled the tail light out, and it just looks like a really short 1156... but I'm sure there is a correct name/size for it.

Are there any reference guides for bulb sizes in the V-Strom? I still hadn't found it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Most of the after market LED turn signals are noticeably dimmer than the regular turn signals. The faster blinking is because the flasher works on higher load than a LED uses - I didn't think anyone actually liked the faster flashing when using LEDs. Pretty cheap to replace the flasher with one that will flash at the proper rate when using LEDs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts