StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got perfect looking Cascades from H.T. The bags had an aluminum sheet metal peice with 4 holes matching the holes in the bag- they were taped inside the bag with duct tape, holes aligned with the ones in the panniers.
I assume they forgot these in the bag and aren't extra reinforcement for mounting?
Anyone buy their panniers and know ? They are closed today, and didn't answer e mail yet and I'd like to install today and ride

·
Registered
96 Posts
I picked up a set of "scratch and dent" (look pretty much perfect) before Xmas and mine had the same piece in them. I'm just assuming they're reinforcements, don't know why they'd need them but I don't know why they'd include them otherwise. Were yours new or scratch/dent?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Apparently Happy Trails started including them sometime last spring, probably when they switched to a new design for the racks that eliminated the pucks at the top connection.

I bought my Cascades in late February, and mine didn't have the aluminum plates. Another person I know bought Cascades in July and they had the aluminum plates.

I hope the holes in yours are more accurately aligned than my friend's were. We had to ream out the holes in both the plates and the panniers to get them to fit onto the racks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Going to order a set next week so I can take advantage of the sale they have going on. Now I just need to figure out whether I prefer black of silver.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sratch and dent

Mine had the pucks to- I mounted after removing the plate, I guess I will put the plate in. Seems like a weird design- why n ot just weld in a thicker back peice if it is needed

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hope the holes in yours are more accurately aligned than my friend's were. We had to ream out the holes in both the plates and the panniers to get them to fit onto the racks.
Mine weren't, had to ream out one hole in each pannier to get the knobs to properly thread into the holes. I don't mind the new design, probably reasonably smart, but I'm still likely getting some longer knobs (lol) and drilling out a hole for safety wire or throwing on a lock nut and a clevis so they don't rattle out in the dirt. I talked to their design guy too and he mentioned possibly loctiting them, but I like mechanical solutions over chemical...

Mine had the pucks to- I mounted after removing the plate, I guess I will put the plate in. Seems like a weird design- why n ot just weld in a thicker back peice if it is needed
I think it's more of a quick mod to the current design instead of doing a full blown redesign. I'm guessing they'll start making them with thicker plates on the bike side, but until then I guess this is what works.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
plate

I am going to call and ask them. They say on the site it is made form the thickest material of any bag on teh market, yet no other bags do that.
I will have to enlarge the plate holes to make it work

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Answer from Happy Trails

"The plates you have( we call them backing plates) are used to reduce flex on the Cascade panniers and go on the inside"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts