StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the front sprocket of my '13 DL650 to one tooth less. Of course the speedo was now way out as the speedo is run off the countershaft sprockets on these models. I had a extra bicycle computer so I adapted it to put on the strom. I epoxied a small magnet to the rotor and ran the pickup wire along the brake line to eliminate stress from suspension movement. Easy to program the unit based on your front wheel size for either MPH or KPH. I bought this unit long ago from Aerostich. Came with an extra long wire/pickup for the bicycle rear wheel which is what I used as the one for the front bicycle wheel was too short. Maybe all bicycle computers come with both so you can use either the front or rear bicycle wheel. Anyway checking with my GPS it is spot on. Just have no need for a GPS on my bike full time. Also there are wireless bicycle computers available that could be an option.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's the same one I've been running on my Wee for 5 yrs. I pretty much got chastised for even mentioning it on the forum. Now I just sit back & absorb info and not post much unless I feel that I can really help someone.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
That's a great idea. I'm going to search for a real small one that I can stick right over the oem speedo number. Right now I'm programmed to look at my GPS for speed but sometimes it's hard to read.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
I dunno why you'd get chastised by a know it all over a bicycle speedo. They are cool little inexpensive tools for speed measure. I ran one on my BMW GS years ago because I wasn't gong to have the speedo repair a second time for far too much money.
Cylcle speedo's are accurate and good in a poor element like rain.
There are those unhappy folk who can poo-poo an idea because they know just way too much.
I just hope they buy everything in the Touratech catalogue for way too much money while the likes of us DIY on the cheap.:yesnod:

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
Cool idea, sure would be nice if bikes came accurate to begin with.:headbang:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
They're more accurate than even a GPS if calibrated properly with a careful "rollout" to determine circumference accurately. However many of the wireless models have a very limited range (magnet to display unit). The wired units are very cheap but you may need a long harness. I just coughed up $70 for the SpeedoDRD. Wired bike computers can be found for about $20.

Agree on getting it right to start with. No excuse for a 7-8 percent error.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
They're more accurate than even a GPS if calibrated properly with a careful "rollout" to determine circumference accurately. However many of the wireless models have a very limited range (magnet to display unit). The wired units are very cheap but you may need a long harness. I just coughed up $70 for the SpeedoDRD. Wired bike computers can be found for about $20.

Agree on getting it right to start with. No excuse for a 7-8 percent error.

I just look at my GPS anymore, although I have gotten pretty good at knowing the discrepancy in the speedometer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just look at my GPS anymore, although I have gotten pretty good at knowing the discrepancy in the speedometer.
I seldom attach the GPS but like you got really good at estimating that 8 percent difference. Now that it's not needed I'm surprised how often I still start to estimate a correction in my head!

·
Registered
265 Posts
And how is the odometer? Is it marking more or less distance traveled?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts