StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums and it seems that a few are aware or actively use this stuff ... I thought it worth mentioning ...

I have seen it sold as "Rescue Tape" or other gimmicky sounding names and usually on late night TV or most boat/sport or RV shows ..

It is the tape that you stretch and overlap as you wrap something with it and it melts or bonds together ..

In any event, I used to work on airplanes quite a lot and we used it for many different types of things and as I learned more about it, I found out that it is actually used a lot on Jets etc because it is extremely waterproof and also very good as an electrical tape for anything up to very high voltages.

I started to use some I had left over from working on a few cessnas over the years recently on my newly acquired wee ...

I found myself replacing a lot of the electrical tape I came across which was hard and basically crappy as electrical tape gets over time ... I replaced a lot of it and the result was much better ... Very good insulator and very waterproof. And will likely last a lot longer than basic electrical tape ...

In any event, it is definitely more expensive than electrical tape but a little does go a long way.

No, I don't sell the stuff.

But, for anyone in unaware of it or does not use it, I thought I would post that it has been very effective and useful for me ... Might want to give it a shot ...

:thumbup:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Somehow I am not comforted by the thought that folks are repairing airplanes with "as seen on TV" sticky tape. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is true. There is a high grade milspec version of the stuff for aviation use.

And by repair, if you are envisioning a band of gypsies reconnecting a severed wing, you would likely be correct. Not a good thing. But securing avionics connections in a waterproof fashion, probably acceptable.

Sent from my droid.

·
Registered
197 Posts
silicone bonding tape

I bought three rolls of this tape in different colors. They were selling it at the International Motorcycle Show. I have to say that it works great. You just wrap it around something with a little stretch and it sticks to itself. At the show, they demonstrate by wrapping a piece around your finger to make an instant O ring. I have some on my motorcycle in various places, such as to seal electrical connectors. A nice thing to carry on trips, or to just have under the seat!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a variety pack at a gun show years ago to try out. Have used it many places and bought more elswhere to carry on each of the bikes. It makes a decent no-slip handle on some tools. :thumbup:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
?..
And by repair, if you are envisioning a band of gypsies reconnecting a severed wing, ...
That's pretty much what came to mind, but after such ringing endorsements, I will have to see if they have some at Ace this weekend when I drop by for some silicone spray. Damn, waterproofing, tape, cookware, and larger boobies! Silicone must be made by in some magical land by fairies. :thumbup:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yep, if you get the good stuff, its like a miracle drug for electrical connections. Seals as well as Liquid Electrical tape, but no mess, no drying, and removal is simple and clean. Used it for years on heicopters, NAVAIRs electrical gurus at the Lab in Pax River love and swear by it, use it in a lot of the protoype installs for new/test systems.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those interested, this stuff has in interesting way that it works ... I am an engineer by trade and research these things usually at my own peril but I just do and cant stop. Genetic I suppose ...

In any event, silicone bonding tape has some interesting properties that (at least) I found interesting.

It is not really a tape as most people think. It is only a tape because it is applied like a tape or better described a strip.

Most people think of tape as a strip with glue on one side which is not what this stuff is.

It is a strip of silicone rubber that is not sticky at all. Just rubber. It is impregnated with hundreds or thousands of small "bubbles" or pockets for lack of better terms of a chemical that activates it. I have not idea how this works, I'm an engineer, not a chemist)

If you just wrap it around something, it might stick together but not very well. The main thing that is required is to stretch it when wrapping it around something. When it is stretched, the bubbles "pop" or "break" which activates it. This does two things. Firstly, stretching it and wrapping it basically squeezes the $h1t out of whatever you are wrapping (sealing it). Secondly, when you overlap it after stretching it, there is a chemical reaction happening that fuses the parts together into one.

In the end, you have something (electrical connection or tool handle or whatever) that it very tightly encased in a single piece of rubber.

To remove it, it cannot be unwrapped because it is now one piece. You can cut it end to end with a razor or small scissors. What you find are clean wires (or whatever you had wrapped) that have no sticky adhesive or anything left over as there was no glue in the first place ...

At least I found this interesting. YMMV ..

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Zowie, you reminded me of the reddish tape we used to use at work Great stuff! Give it a wrap and fagitaboutit!
Does Harbor Freight have a low cost replica?????

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is all over the place under different names ... Harbor Freight likely has some ... Is you enter "Silicone Bonding Tape" on either Amazon or Ebay, there are dozens of places that carry it ...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used it to repair the heated left grip on my DL1k. The grip rubber had worn down to the filament. I double wrapped the grip with the "tape" and all is good....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thanks guys. I used this stuff back when I worked for G.E. back in the 70's. Had a couple of rolls in my toolbox when I left but never found where I could get more until I read this thread today. I am going over to Harbor Freight this afternoon and pick a couple of rolls up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts