StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The V-Strom and Stromtrooper have both been great, but I am moving on. For me the Strom is the perfect answer to a different question. In my Lazy-Boy, I see myself on long tours loaded with camping gear, but for 50-51 weeks / year (30 if weather is factored in), rather than grand adventures to Alaska, Florida, or Mexico, I actually go for weekend joy-rides, and commute in a big city with too much traffic. in Toronto traffic, my top-heavy, go anywhere V-Strom is not in its element, so I have traded it on a hugely discounted, brand new, red 2009 CBF1000. I love the power, torque (lots more, which to me is surprising from a 4 cyl), best brakes I ever used, and it feels far lighter than the DL650, even though it isn't.

I'll have a tool tube / luggage support with hardware and maybe a wind-shield holes-mounted GPS shelf to offer soon to a trooper in Toronto area (don't want to ship them).

My Strom is the perfect machine, just for a different mission profile.

All the best.

Jon

·
Registered
856 Posts
well, happy trails to you. glad you found what you wanted.

ironically, i'm getting a strom because of my "top heavy" venture :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Choosing a CBF1000 over a Wee for big city commuting is a strange choice to be sure since on paper the Wee would be a much better choice for that application. Having said that it's all about what makes you smile, so enjoy the new ride, it's a beauty :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I understand your dilemma. I was in the same boat and bought a Triumph Scrambler for my daily commuter as I work in a city and I wanted something easier to get around on.

That being said, I have still kept the Wee and now I own two bikes. That pic looks great. Hopefully you consider keeping both?

I am headed out on a three day weekend trip and I am glad I have the Wee to ride. I think I would miss it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Choosing a CBF1000 over a Wee for big city commuting is a strange choice to be sure since on paper the Wee would be a much better choice for that application.
Seems like a bass ackwards choice to to me too, but I'm a different kind of weirdo. Happy trails and ride safe.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow, good luck with the new bike. Its funny how its different strokes for different folks. The Vstorm has to be one of the best inner city bikes I have used. Narrow and light. I was on the freeway with some sport touring bikes and we had to lane share. I was the only one narrow enough to make it through the traffic. Top Heavy? really.....hmmm, the Vstrom is one of the lightest feeling bikes I have ridden. The long distance freeway cruising at 80mph is the only place I have been where I would have prefferd my last bike.

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
cbf

i was reading that the CBF has so much tourque it will start off in top gear with out a problem . honda canada calls it an adventure bike . also that magazine testers say it handles gravel roads better than the varadero . i think its a wonderfull machine

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Compared to the V-Strom, the CBF handles like a lightweight, turn-in is much faster than the Strom. Weight is carried much lower. Lots of torque in any gear at any speed. Lower (and adjustable!) seat height. Less bulk. Feels more sporty without being a sport bike. More wind but less turbulence (and my DL has a Madstad and Givi screen). In town, the CBF reminds me of my old Ninja 500 but with a bit more legroom.

I found the Strom awkward as a commuter due to its bulk and high COG, and it needs 4000+ RPM before it really wants to pull. I live in an area of 5 million people, and according to the newspaper a few weeks ago, worse traffic than LA. I also wanted ABS, which new DL650s have, but my 2006 doesn't.

Honda Canada's promotion - $3,400 off MSRP is what made me do the deal. I really didn't need a bike, and I have not bought a new one since the 80s.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike!!

Which color did you get? Any pics?

·
Registered
657 Posts
For those in the lesser 48 that don't get the CBF1000, you are really missing out. I rode one for a day while my friend rode the XL1000 Veradero he eventually bought. The engine on the CBF is fantastic ... smooth, blingingly quick yet civilized. It's the modern UJM, a more modern and powerful version of my old Kawi ZR-7S. Many happy years motoring!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I was seriously considering that bike - either the '09 version or, even better, the updated '10 version. For what I use it for, a very similar sort of bike in riding position, power, weight, etc, to the V-Strom. By all accounts it has an incredibly tractable and well-sorted engine which, while not incredibly powerful, works really well over its whole power band. And ABS brakes, an adjustable windshield and seat, and wheel sizes that allow for a good selection of stick street rubber.

Downsides? Well, it isn't cheap in terms of MSRP, although the deep discounted '09 is very attractive price-wise. And it isn't a real big seller, especially here, so the farkles and user base aren't going to be there (although some farkles may be available from Europe, I would think). I've owned three bikes - the Strom, a Kawi ZRX1100, and Kawi Concours, that are blessed with having large, very knowledgable and dedicated groups of owners that are incredible resources.

I'm still thinking about going down and looking at one of these tomorrow. A new bike may be just what the doctor ordered, and I do miss the tractability of a well-sorted large displacement four cylinder bike. Going to test ride a Yamaha Fazer 8 next week at the local dealer. Is that another one that US is not getting?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For sure the CBF doesn't have the aftermarket or forum support of a V-Strom. At full MSRP, it seems expensive, but at $3,400 off MSRP it looks more appealing. And the discount on '08s is even bigger, if you can find one. I have lusted for this bike since it came to Canada, and at this price, I just gotta do it.

Dual Sport Plus is a local distributor for Twisted Throttle, and I have an SW Motech AluRack, SW M engine guards, and the Givi adapter plate on order. I have also got a Battery Bug and Battery Tender Jr. ready to install, and the dealer is installing no charge OEM heated grips, and the rear rack that replaces the passenger grab handles to mount the Givi top-box.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was reading that the CBF has so much tourque it will start off in top gear with out a problem . honda canada calls it an adventure bike . also that magazine testers say it handles gravel roads better than the varadero . i think its a wonderfull machine
Don't know about the Varadero, which I sat on but didn't ride, as it is way too huge for me to think about. Calling the CBF an Adventure bike is just some MBA marketing guy's way to try to sell more bikes. To me, the CBF is really just a plain old Honda CB, like the 750 I never had, but updated.

The CBF600 arrived in Canada for 2010, and they call it a Sport Bike. The CBF1000 and CBF600 share frame and many common elements, so what makes one Adventure and the other Sport? Marketing! They are both just UJM Standards.

I didn't ride the 600, because with the discount on the left-over 1000s, the 600 isn't cheaper (except on insurance), and the torque at any RPM is a large part of my lust for the 1000.

The new and improved 2010 CBF1000 certainly looks better on paper, with alum. frame, less weight, more power, but the only color choice sucks (gold), and the price is $3.5k higher, so out of my snack bracket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts